JLAB EPIC2 Bluetooth Headphone Review
Jun 23, 2016 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

red71rum

100+ Head-Fier

I recently received the JLab Epic2 Bluetooth headphones for review. Some of the new features of the Epic2 are the upgrade from ipx4 to ipx5 to improve resistance to sweat and water. They have also improved the Bluetooth antenna to help with signal\cutout problems. The Epic 2 include AptX compatibility to improve Bluetooth audio. They also last for 12 hours of music which should last someone for the week if they were used in the gym.

Accessories

The Epic2’s come with lots of accessories to help the new owner get the most of their headphones. The headphones come with 8 sets of tips with all different configurations of single, double, triple flange tips. Also included is a handy hard nylon zippered case that can hold the cable, extra tips and the Epic2 themselves. Another handy accessory is the included plastic cinches that will help the owner change the size of the cable to meet their needs.

Fit

The Epic2 are fairly easy to figure out in regards on how to wear them, and because of the titanium over-ear hook and how it guides around your ear, it did not interfere with my sunglasses when using them outside. The memory wire in the wire helped keep the headphones over my ear and the included plastic cinches, I was able to lessen the amount of wire, helping to lessen microphonics. The outer housing of the phones are a little large, so the headphones cannot be inserted deep into the ear, making it so they isolate well and block out ambient sound, but it could be better. Still the Epic2 is worlds better than the isolation of the Powerbeats2, which is none at all.

Controls

The controls are Intuitive with raised buttons, a left arrow, center button, and right arrow. They are at just the right height and raised in the way for you to be able to differentiate from them. It was very easy for me to change tracks, pause music, raise, and lower music. I found them to be easier to use then the ones included on the Beats Powerbeats2. The controls also seem very well made and probably could take a beating if I were someone who was not careful with my stuff.

Sound
The sound of the Epic2 lean more to the bass side of music, but they are not overpowered by, as I could still discern mids and highs. I do not always listen to classical music, but these sounded fine when I listened to The Very Best of Mozart, they sounded pretty good. Listening to Chris Cornell’s Dead Wishes, the acoustic guitar and vocals were well defined, the headphones did not sound congested and I could make out the individual instruments. The headphones exhibited a decent soundstage.

Gym and Outdoors

I used at the gym doing chin-ups, bench press, abdominals, legs, and so on and these worked great, no problems. I also tried them on the elliptical and they stayed in and I did not have to reposition them. I sweat a bit, but I did not dunk these in water or anything like that, no torture test here to see if they met their IPX5 rating. These had a decent range of 30 to 40 feet, so when doing weights, I had my phone away from me when possible. Outside, the headphones had no dropouts and were great. I even took them to Europe with me and they performed flawlessly. I have found that some Bluetooth headphones ran into problems when outside, but these were great. I tested them with both my Samsung S7 and an Iphone 6 Plus. I wanted to mention that these also randomly tell me the battery life while listening to music, so you will always know where you are at in terms of how much time you have left.

Conclusion

After having used these for several weeks, I think these are the very well rounded. They have very good sound, great battery life, good fit, are made for the gym and people on the go. These are now my go to bluetooth headphones.

Update: These guys are still going strong after using them daily for over a year.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #2 of 11
Hey there. I was considering these vs. the Jaybird X2s. Do you have any experience with that pair to compare them? The extra battery life of the Epic2's and lower price seem very enticing. But the Comply tips with the X2s are very nice as well. Any thoughts?

Jun 26, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 11
  Hey there. I was considering these vs. the Jaybird X2s. Do you have any experience with that pair to compare them? The extra battery life of the Epic2's and lower price seem very enticing. But the Comply tips with the X2s are very nice as well. Any thoughts?

Well, a couple of my friends have the Jaybirds, both the original and the X2's and they complain about battery life. Also, if you know the nozzle size you could get comply tips for the Epic2. I have several tips that I have that I always try on new headphones, sometimes the ones supplied do not fit my ears or provide good isolation. I have comply tips(I am not a fan of them) here and can try them later to see if they fit on the Epic2 if you want.

Jun 26, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #4 of 11
  Well, a couple of my friends have the Jaybirds, both the original and the X2's and they complain about battery life. Also, if you know the nozzle size you could get comply tips for the Epic2. I have several tips that I have that I always try on new headphones, sometimes the ones supplied do not fit my ears or provide good isolation. I have comply tips(I am not a fan of them) here and can try them later to see if they fit on the Epic2 if you want.

That would be great! I already ordered the Jaybirds but came across these and had second thoughts. I am usually good with charging my things and being ontop of it but obviously having a longer battery life doesnt hurt. If I am getting the same comfort and quality of audio out of both of them I may switch to the Jlabs because they are cheaper anyways. Or maybe I'll just wait to get the X2s and see how they feel. If you could let me know how the comply tips feel on the Jlabs I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Jun 26, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 11
That would be great! I already ordered the Jaybirds but came across these and had second thoughts. I am usually good with charging my things and being ontop of it but obviously having a longer battery life doesnt hurt. If I am getting the same comfort and quality of audio out of both of them I may switch to the Jlabs because they are cheaper anyways. Or maybe I'll just wait to get the X2s and see how they feel. If you could let me know how the comply tips feel on the Jlabs I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

It seems that these have the same nozzle size as the UE Triple Fi 10 because the comply tips from those fit fine.

Jul 3, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 11
Interesting. 3 years ago, the original Jlab Epic, even though not really an audiophile quality IEM, was the first IEM sound signature that I really loved with deep extension of subbass and treble. Granted, now I can tell that the mid and treble sound quality was lacking, but supposedly these Epic 2s are better. The original Epic can on rare occasion be had under $10 and are a good deal for that.

Aug 22, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #8 of 11
  do the forward backward buttons work on android or are they limited to controlling volume?

I have the JLAB Epic BT 1.0, and they do control forward and back on my Android phone, so I can't imagine that the 2.0 wouldn't do the same. A quick press is the volume control and a long press is track control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back