JLab Audio Rewind Wireless Retro Headphones...
Jun 10, 2018 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

red71rum

100+ Head-Fier
DSC_5502-2.JPG

A while back I saw that JLab Audio was coming out with some headphones that seemed to try to capitalize on people’s nostalgia for the 80’s. Recently JLab contacted me about the headphones and asked if I wanted to check them out. I had them send me a pair.

When I got the JLab Rewinds, I was at struck by how they resembled the headphones that I used to use with my Sony and Aiwa tape players(I do not miss tapes). The packaging was simple and straight forward.

Features\Acessories:

DSC_5505-2.JPG
The instructions\features are on the back of the box.

The Rewinds have 12 hours of playtime, and 3 EQ settings. The headphones come with the ubiquitous micro usb cable, and an extra pair of orange ear cushions.

Build Quality\Fit:

The Rewinds are very light weight, consisting of a metal headphone band and the rest is made of a hard black plastic. They rest on your ear and the cushion is fairly comfortable, and because they do not cover your ear, your ears do not get hot. Overall they have a minimalist design and remind me of something like the ones on the poster for the movie Footloose.

DSC_5518-2.JPG

JLab used some sturdy adjustable metal headband that seems pretty durable.

Controls:

DSC_5512-2.JPG

Here is a fairly closeup view of the one button control of the Rewinds.

The controls also take a minimalist approach. There is only one button, on the right ear piece that does everything. Press and hold the button for 2 seconds to turn them on, hold for 4 seconds to turn them off. The Rewinds take one click of the button to Play\Pause, Answer\Hangup. To advance to the next track, hold the button. Two clicks of the Rewinds button activate either Siri or Android, depending on your phone of choice. The Rewinds also have 3 equalizer modes built; Signature Sound, Balanced Sound, and Bass Boost. These 3 EQ modes can be activated via 3 clicks of the button and will stay on the mode that you leave it on.

Sound:

DSC_5515.JPG

These headphones have a definite 80’s headphone sound, with ample bass and acceptable highs. They are on-ear so there is no isolation, just like the vintage headphones that they are modeled after. There is also a fair amount of sound leakage if you really crank the volume up. I found them loud enough on the lowest setting on my Samsung Galaxy S7, so I did not turn them up that loud. They definitely are not for audiophiles, but rather a fun headphone that someone could walk around with, not to be used for critical listening or anything.

Call Quality:

Of course taking calls is not the main purpose of these headphones, but I did take a call or two while using them. Initially on the first call, despite having my music on low volume, the call was crazy loud. I did turn it down and it sounded ok. I would not normally use these though for phone calls. The sound was decent, but I would rather use a dedicated headset for calls.

Cons:

With the minimalist design, these headphones cannot raise or lower volume, they also cannot go back to a previous track, that has to be done on the phone. It would have also been nice to control the volume maybe with the left ear piece. I also found it hard to use the charging cable, I had to remove the ear cushion to plug it in.

Overall I thought the Rewinds were a fun headphone for people who are nostalgic about the 80's and want something simple. They are only $20, so it does not cost a lot to try them out and see what you think.

DSC_5513-2.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_5507-2.JPG
    DSC_5507-2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 13
I have one of these and I love the comfort... I wonder if there is an audiophile version of these. Something with the same comfort and form factor but with better audio quality. This is great to listen to podcasts and watch videos, but it fails with music. Any music.

Mar 30, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 13
These are annoying. Good solid connection. Jlab doesn't know how to tune. Love the EQ option as an idea but not the implementation. The need to move the foam pads to plug in USB and that only skinny plugs will fit is so annoying. Sound needs to be improved. Also, they got the most loud clicky button they could find. Why one button? Have more and to the side and allow volume control and rewind(only FF). My pair stays in the drawer even though I love the small on ear 80's style form factor. Not horrible since they cost me $15 shipped but used them like 3 or 4 times but the SQ always made me grab something else even for just podcasts. Wish someone else would do this form factor but better for $50. Jlab only changes the headband to gold adds the word Icon to the name and goes back to original price point but don't improve them.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 13
These are annoying. Good solid connection. Jlab doesn't know how to tune. Love the EQ option as an idea but not the implementation. The need to move the foam pads to plug in USB and that only skinny plugs will fit is so annoying. Sound needs to be improved. Also, they got the most loud clicky button they could find. Why one button? Have more and to the side and allow volume control and rewind(only FF). My pair stays in the drawer even though I love the small on ear 80's style form factor. Not horrible since they cost me $15 shipped but used them like 3 or 4 times but the SQ always made me grab something else even for just podcasts. Wish someone else would do this form factor but better for $50. Jlab only changes the headband to gold adds the word Icon to the name and goes back to original price point but don't improve them.

Yes, these are not the highest end headphones, hence the price. They don't sound like the old Sony headphones that I remember using from that era. I believe the one button was again for simplicity, but it could have been better designed for sure. I gave mine to a coworker after my review, she had lower expectations and was happy withing. Sure, they are not Stax or Sennheiser 800's but they were kind of nostalgia thing I guess that some people enjoyed.

I have one of these and I love the comfort... I wonder if there is an audiophile version of these. Something with the same comfort and form factor but with better audio quality. This is great to listen to podcasts and watch videos, but it fails with music. Any music.

An audiophile version with AptXHD, dual drivers, BT 5.0, tuned with a flatter response instead of being bass heavy?

Mar 31, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #5 of 13
An audiophile version with AptXHD, dual drivers, BT 5.0, tuned with a flatter response instead of being bass heavy?
Just similar lightweight comfortable old-school on-ear with decent quality sound, like the Sennheiser PX 100 ii or something... Whatever the price... Doesn't exist, doesn't.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #7 of 13
I reached out to JLab with you and the other previous suggestions/complaints, so who knows.
Oh, thank you for that. They should know that they've made an incredible product and if they had high quality drivers in them (like the Sennheiser PX 1000 ii), I bet it could become wildly popular and we wouldn't mind paying 2 or 3 times more for it.

As for build quality, I think it leaves nothing to be desired. I disagree that having one button is a problem. That simplicity is great, and it works better than any bluetooth headphone out there.

Mar 31, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #8 of 13
I agree it is hard to make a product that everyone agrees on. I also have wished for some of these features like the latest iteration of AptX and so on. It can be done I am sure, but they probably have to weigh the sale-ability and market they are shooting for. I have done several reviews of their products, you might want to check out my new review of the Epic True Sports wireless, I liked these although they do not have the same retro aesthetics like Rewinds - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/jl...true-wireless.24274/reviews#item-review-23420

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #9 of 13
I agree it is hard to make a product that everyone agrees on. I also have wished for some of these features like the latest iteration of AptX and so on. It can be done I am sure, but they probably have to weigh the sale-ability and market they are shooting for. I have done several reviews of their products, you might want to check out my new review of the Epic True Sports wireless, I liked those although they do not have the same retro aesthetics like these - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/jl...true-wireless.24274/reviews#item-review-23420

Nice reviews. I wish I could use in-ears... My ears can only tolerate earbuds and I have a few of those.

If this company can produce high quality drivers (not those in the Rewind), then all they'd have to do is sell them in the same body and charge a bit more. There's no way that's not going to be successful. Literally nothing like that exists at this point. Nothing!

Mar 31, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #10 of 13
Nice reviews. I wish I could use in-ears... My ears can only tolerate earbuds and I have a few of those.

If this company can produce high quality drivers (not those in the Rewind), then all they'd have to do is sell them in the same body and charge a bit more. There's no way that's not going to be successful. Literally nothing like that exists at this point. Nothing!
You like on ears then? Some people do not like the pressure they feel when using IEMs, is that your case? I have a nice pair of Sennheiser HD 25's. Have you ever used those, they are not gym friendly nor wireless.

Mar 31, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 13

There is an older Philips that can still be found.
1585686376602.png

There is also the Creative Jam Ultralite.
1585686509033.png

A little bigger at 20 grams more but I like slightly bigger pads both more stable and comfy covering a bit more of the ear.

I replaced the Jlab with a Sony,
1585687920343.png

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #12 of 13
You like on ears then?

Thanks for listing the options. The problem with on-ears is that they go from super comfortable to super uncomfortable when weight is increased. I actually hate on ears except for those that are so light you hardly feel them. No open back, over-ear regardless of how comfortable they are, can touch the comfort on headphones like the JLab Rewind or the Sennheiser PX 100 ii. These things give new meaning to the "You forget you have 'em on" comment. But add some weight, leather pads and on-ear headphones quickly become torture devices. Can't stand any of them. All the Grados and the like... Especially the ones that are supposed to be over-ear but still sit on your ears.

Apr 1, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #13 of 13
Thanks for listing the options. The problem with on-ears is that they go from super comfortable to super uncomfortable when weight is increased. I actually hate on ears except for those that are so light you hardly feel them. No open back, over-ear regardless of how comfortable they are, can touch the comfort on headphones like the JLab Rewind or the Sennheiser PX 100 ii. These things give new meaning to the "You forget you have 'em on" comment. But add some weight, leather pads and on-ear headphones quickly become torture devices. Can't stand any of them. All the Grados and the like... Especially the ones that are supposed to be over-ear but still sit on your ears.

I'm gonna be getting a Cleer Arc. Not sure, given the current situation, they are still coming out in April but you can't beat the on ear feel of those. :)

You could grab a pair of the Koss and also a Parts Express style headband and that would be even lighter than the Jlab.
1585749618917.png

1585749741562.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back