JH5 + Ibasso T3 = JH14.5 Type Sound!
Aug 13, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #16 of 34
What does that make something like the JH16 from a modded iPod -> Pico Slim or the 801 -> Stepdance, the JH19?  And what is the JH-3A?

I guess we can all agree that sources DO make a difference and low end sources (primarily mass produced DAPs) may not be getting the full performance out of high end IEMs!

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #17 of 34
^ By the same token - and much like customs, IMO - there are DAPs and amps (and aftermarket cables) that are grossly overrated, ie they don't provide the seeming 'huge' improvements in SQ some people claim they do.

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #19 of 34
^ Never mind what I've used - and I've tried a few -, the fact of the matter is that there are quite a few reports of well-known high-end DAPs, amps (and aftermarket cables) where people have reported (a lot) less than stellar results/ SQ improvements.

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #20 of 34
I will put that comment towards the Hifiman DAPs. IME those DAPs aren't Hi-fi per say, but just a different colored sound. Very few "audiophile" DAPs are true to the source, like the S:Flo2 and QLS. Hope to not put this way off topic though...

I don't have experience with hifi cables but I think the pricing is ridiculous of many. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #21 of 34
Agreed, thus my warning.

Silver cabling does seem to boost treble though, it happens in pretty much every case. Other differences seem way out of hand though in regards to other cables and differences. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #23 of 34

Quote:

Hey Spyro,

It's been fascinating reading/'watching' your IEM & customs journey in the last year or so. It's refreshing to see you're honest about some of your previously held views.

Now, I've been wondering for some time why you haven't given some of the latest DD IEMs a chance. I'm not just talking about my all-time favourite, the EX1000, but others (cheaper even) such as the MDR-7550, EX600, FX700, FX500 & GR07. I think you might be in for a surprise if you tried one/some of these, and being based in the US (at least with the Sonys) you always have a chance to try them out and if not entirely convinced, get a full refund.

On a side note, I've no idea how old you are - and I know this is none of my business - but I think you should seriously think about the volume levels you're used to listening to music - you know, hearing loss is a very real thing and something to seriously think about. I'm passionate about music and at times I, too, crank the volume up, but quite a while ago I learned to 'discipline' myself and listen to music at lower volumes to preserve my hearing; eventually I got used to it and now I get plenty of 'eargasms' at such 'lower' volumes, though I have to admit that in the last 3 months that task/discipline has proved more difficult with the EX1000s - seriously! -, but for the most part I manage to not go over 40%- 50% with my 4G Touch, which is a brilliant sounding DAP, BTW. Volume levels isn't that much different from the amount of food we eat. Apologies in advance for the unsolicited advice.

music_4321.  No apologies needed.  We are all friends here.  I'll be 50 next month.  I listen loud but not ear-ringing loud and (most importantly) usually only for about 40-50 minute sessions at a time.  I've always been this way.  Hopefully good genetics play a role in this but it's hard to resist turning it up. 
wink.gif

As far as dynamic drivers, I was never crazy about the form factor of them is one reason, and I was never patient enough to burn in 100's of hours either.  I briefly had the IE8 and hated it.  Just sounded veiled to me.  While it may not sound as natural, I love the razor articulation of BA's in general but I also like how the moving armature hybrids (GR10) sound so who knows down the line.

For any out there thinking I am just blowing smoke about the amp, for what it's worth, when I paired the T3 with the UM3X, it seemed there was very little difference....when I previously/briefly owned the T3D a year or so ago and paired it with W3...very little difference.  So again...synergy is key.  You can dig up my old posts and I basically put W3 and JH5 on equal ground when straight out of DAP headphone jack.  But with T3 +TF10's...nice improvement.  With T3+JH5... BIG improvement!.  For $100 well worth it!  Have traded many PM's with Cliffroyroycole where he keeps telling me to get the amp for JH5 and he's absolutely right.  He told me he was done searching up the ladder and now I see what he's talking about.  So you have two of us with the same set-up advising that it a phenomenal set-up for $500.  

I've blown a lot of money on IEM's over the years.  Just trying to help others out, that's all.  If I didn't think it was a great improvement I would say so.  It was $100 spent....big deal.

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #24 of 34
Yes, I tried the TWAG with UNAMPED JH5 and YES it made an immediate sound change but I did not care for it.  To my ears it made the treble too sharp sounding.  Granted it was not burnt in.  Perhaps if burnt in and paired with the T3 it would be a different story but I am very happy now.  No plans to re-buy the TWAG.  Besides, I thought the dang plug was too BIG and the cable generally too bulky.  Just being honest here.

Aug 13, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #25 of 34

Quote:
Agree re silver but some say no effect at all. Just trying to keep the thread on topic: how an amp and lod can improve a phone, in this case the jh5 customs.

I did side by side comparison of ALO Super Cotton(Silver)dock cable and ALO 22AWG Pure Cryo dock(18AWG is even better) cables with my iMod iPod and iPod Classic. The results surprises me because Pure Cryo made much more difference to improve sound quality compared to silver cable. It(Pure Cryo) gives physical sense of soundstage(out of head), Crisp clean mids and clear highs with deeper punchier bass. The Silver gives overall more crispier sound signature with extended highs but no power to the music, no soundstage. BTW i think highend portable AMPs also help to improve overall sound experience like gives bigger soundstage, shows more details in mids, highs and deeper bass with more instrument separation, better imaging and instrument placement.

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #26 of 34
Certainly frustrating just not knowing how an amp will or will not synergize with a particular IEM.  I guess I feel I sort of lucked out here.

Kind of odd, I wasn't even thinking about JH5+T3.  I was excited about trying T3 with the TF10's.  When hooked up I smiled....it sounded better because I thought I was squeezing every ounce of power out of the Ipod Classic to push the TF10 where with JH5 being so efficient, I had plenty of dB's to spare on the Ipod volume.  So I hooked JH5 up to T3 for grins and my jaw almost hit the floor.  Open, airy, expansive, no edginess...basically excellent!

Anyway....I will certainly hold onto the T3 amp.  It is about 1/5th the size of the "classic" so I can take it virtually everywhere and workout with it, no problem.  I guess I am saying it will be permanently connected to the Ipod Classic for now. 

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #27 of 34
I think I'm gonna buy a iBasso T3 =P

Do you guys know if Apple will show the new iPods together with the new iPhone 5? I wish they present a new iPod Classic with flash memory to pair with a T3 and my JH Audio custom. :)

Aug 14, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #28 of 34

Quote:

Hey Spyro,

It's been fascinating reading/'watching' your IEM & customs journey in the last year or so. It's refreshing to see you're honest about some of your previously held views.

Now, I've been wondering for some time why you haven't given some of the latest DD IEMs a chance. I'm not just talking about my all-time favourite, the EX1000, but others (cheaper even) such as the MDR-7550, EX600, FX700, FX500 & GR07. I think you might be in for a surprise if you tried one/some of these, and being based in the US (at least with the Sonys) you always have a chance to try them out and if not entirely convinced, get a full refund.

On a side note, I've no idea how old you are - and I know this is none of my business - but I think you should seriously think about the volume levels you're used to listening to music - you know, hearing loss is a very real thing and something to seriously think about. I'm passionate about music and at times I, too, crank the volume up, but quite a while ago I learned to 'discipline' myself and listen to music at lower volumes to preserve my hearing; eventually I got used to it and now I get plenty of 'eargasms' at such 'lower' volumes, though I have to admit that in the last 3 months that task/discipline has proved more difficult with the EX1000s - seriously! -, but for the most part I manage to not go over 40%- 50% with my 4G Touch, which is a brilliant sounding DAP, BTW. Volume levels isn't that much different from the amount of food we eat. Apologies in advance for the unsolicited advice.

lol, Oh Man now we have the Volume Police. Arrrrg.

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #29 of 34

Would you kindly provide a source, or at least PM me. I'm interested in the findings. Cheers.
Quote:
^ Never mind what I've used - and I've tried a few -, the fact of the matter is that there are quite a few reports of well-known high-end DAPs, amps (and aftermarket cables) where people have reported (a lot) less than stellar results/ SQ improvements.

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #30 of 34
Yea, the JDS cMoy and SR-71B make a solid improvement in sound with the Westone 4's. Not as much of a difference with the SE535's. Far less obvious a diference in-fact, but still some, mainly with the soundstage. With the W4's though, soundstage, some added clarity, and improved bass punch and quantity were all additions when using the portable amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back