JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #736 of 1,149
Hi just chiming in with my views on the Roxanne UF version that I purchased in Hong Kong last week. Previously the only notable headphones I've owned have been the triple-fi 10s (loved them) and the ER4s (very dissapointed).

Reasons for going with UF version were:

- Wait time
- Fit problems (which are more common and more difficult to resolve than with the UFs, which is just a case of sourcing the right tips)
- I want others to be able to listen to my headphones ("I just got these super great $1500 headphones...oh but you can't try of course, but trust me they're the pinnacle of sound!!!!". Sure)
- Able to audition the identical product you're purchasing before you buy
- Mass produced to a common design sounds like a safer bet quality control and consistency wise to me
- cheaper
- can resell at 80% of their value, as apposed to 40%

After walking into DHA, I first resisted the temptation to dive straight in with the Roxannes. I first listened to the Sure 865s, Sennhiesser HD 800s and LCD3s amonst others. The HD800s were disappointing to me, and obviously required a reasonably beefy amp to be driven. That's fine of course for home listening but it'd be nice to able to use the same rig for portable listening. The Shures unfortunately couldn't give me a proper seal with the available tips, and (possibly as a result) sounded a bit harsh.

Then I tried the Audeze LCD3s, wow. Could be driven reasonably easy even from my phone (plus point) and the sound was easily the best I'd heard from a pair of headphones, which is kind of what I expected! So what would I lose by going for the more portable, cheaper in ear Roxannes? As it turned out not a lot.

Having tried several IEMs in the past, the first thing I recognized was the sound stage - instrument positioning was not lost or muddied between 10 and 2 o'clock as tends to happen in most IEMs. The soundstage performance is very important to me personally as someone who needs a portable rig for mixing and mastering audio. As pointed out before, the sound of the roxannes is very comparable to the LCD3s, and the sound feels like it's originating outside of the ears rather than directly at the ear drum as I'm used to. To say the experience left me with a huge grin on my face is an understatement.

The Roxannes are by no means dark, they will reveal sibalenace in recordings and will sound peaky if not inserted deep enough into the ear - so the right tips are important. However I suppose you could consider them dark, in relation to headphones such as the Triple-fi 10s for example, which are to my ears far more U shaped. The key thing here is that with great recordings, these things sound amazing. With compressed MP3s full of splashy phased treble mixed in some attempt to compensate for crappy consumer gear, the roxannes will present the sound accordingly (!). But for me, this unforgiving presentation is exactly what I need.

Still in the honey moon phase, will update as I go.

Very nicely put, looking forward to your future impressions

Sep 28, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #737 of 1,149
  ThanX!!!

Man they keep doing things I never thought possible in an IEM, or CIEM!!

They definitely grow on you. They are as refined as refined gets in audio. If anyone makes a headphone that matches their sound, I will get it and sell all my other headphones... well, maybe. 

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #738 of 1,149

They definitely grow on you. They are as refined as refined gets in audio. If anyone makes a headphone that matches their sound, I will get it and sell all my other headphones... well, maybe. 

WELL SAID SIR
Well said!

I'm blown-away at how the Roxy's throw a soundstage beyond my face, their dimensionality is completely uncanny for an IEM, CIEM, blah-blah-IM; I've not heard this type of imaging before from ANYTHING in-ear.

I reviewed the Roxannes HERE at Head-Fi if anybody is interested, with a full review coming in Positive Feedback ASAP!!

No wonder these are gaining traction with more and more top rockstars for on-stage monitoring. For the first time (or, perhaps some of them have experienced this out-of-body staging before with other JHA IEMS - but not me) they can probably actually here the monitor mix in a more three-dimensional presentation. So, instead of just hearing levels of different feeds to the FOH and monitor mix engineers - they can place their fellow musicians on-stage!! That has to be WILD.

Still LOVING em' w/ the Glove Audio A1 DAC/Amp (from CEntrance) w/ my AK120!!!!
I also did a full review of the Glove at Part-Time Audiophile - HERE

Good times!!

Oct 6, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #739 of 1,149
Hey guys I'm considering getting a pair of Roxanne's.  I own the Audeze LCD-3F and love the sound.  From what I'm hearing these share a similar sound signature as the LCD.  Anyways, it seems getting the custom is the best way to go.  However, I honestly would prefer the universal fit for reason such as if I ever want to sell or let my girlfriend listen to them.  How far apart are they in sound?  I know it has to do with getting the best proper fit.  Does anyone prefer one over the other?  BTW how durable are these?  I'm assuming this should be able to withstand sweat since musicians sweat when they are performing?  I used to own a pair of Shure SE846 but was always nervous to use them for more active stuff like jogging or working out.  Can I work out with these on or go jogging with these on? 

Thank you guys!

Oct 6, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #740 of 1,149

Comparison size between w4r, 1964 V6S and Roxanne. This thing is huge.

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #741 of 1,149
  Hey guys I'm considering getting a pair of Roxanne's.  I own the Audeze LCD-3F and love the sound.  From what I'm hearing these share a similar sound signature as the LCD.  Anyways, it seems getting the custom is the best way to go.  However, I honestly would prefer the universal fit for reason such as if I ever want to sell or let my girlfriend listen to them.  How far apart are they in sound?  I know it has to do with getting the best proper fit.  Does anyone prefer one over the other?  BTW how durable are these?  I'm assuming this should be able to withstand sweat since musicians sweat when they are performing?  I used to own a pair of Shure SE846 but was always nervous to use them for more active stuff like jogging or working out.  Can I work out with these on or go jogging with these on? 

Thank you guys!

These are very durable, however, I feel there are many better options for workout IEMS. I have actually worked out with these, slow controlled lifting, no bouncing, sweating or cardio. They did the job well, and I'm sure you CAN use them. However, this doesn't mean you SHOULD use them. I actually use my ASG2 to workout now. Sounds amazing and is very light. As for sounding like the LCD3? Can't agree as I only have the LCD2.2. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #742 of 1,149
I'd get a cheap pair of IEMs for working out. I'd worry about getting sweat down the tubes and into the drivers. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #743 of 1,149
Thanks for the reply. It's seems really difficult to find some really good sound pair of iem for working out. What is the ASG2? I know this is not the thread but any other recommendations that sounds great and will work for working out?

Oct 6, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #744 of 1,149
OK so I just Google it and found it on Amazon for 549. Is that a good deal? Also, are these sweat proof? I don't see any indication these are designed for working out but as long as long as these are durable and sweat proof than it should work. How do these sound? What headphones or in would these compare to as far as sound signature? How do these compare to the Shure Se846, Roxanne, JH13, JH16? Thank you

Oct 6, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #745 of 1,149
OK so I just Google it and found it on Amazon for 549. Is that a good deal? Also, are these sweat proof? I don't see any indication these are designed for working out but as long as long as these are durable and sweat proof than it should work. How do these sound? What headphones or in would these compare to as far as sound signature? How do these compare to the Shure Se846, Roxanne, JH13, JH16? Thank you

Put in your work and check the ASG2 forum. There is quite alot of information there. Also, if interested, try to contact Aurisonics, Andy, personally. Or try the for sale section here. you may happen to come across a ASG2 or ASG2.5 for cheap. When you are working out, working out should be your FIRST priority, not sound quality IMHO. However, I try to meet that line somewhere in the middle. The asg2 does a fine job, and sounds amazing. if you look hard enough you may find a good pair for around 350 more or less. Sweat proof? Not sure about that. Again, don't bring expensive stuff into an area where you are doing alot of movement. It is so easy to break a nice set of iems if you are careless. I might even get some slack for saying to bring asg2's to the gym, as they are still highly regarded iems. (not as nearly as high as the rox IMHO.) 

Oct 6, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #746 of 1,149

Put in your work and check the ASG2 forum. There is quite alot of information there. Also, if interested, try to contact Aurisonics, Andy, personally. Or try the for sale section here. you may happen to come across a ASG2 or ASG2.5 for cheap. When you are working out, working out should be your FIRST priority, not sound quality IMHO. However, I try to meet that line somewhere in the middle. The asg2 does a fine job, and sounds amazing. if you look hard enough you may find a good pair for around 350 more or less. Sweat proof? Not sure about that. Again, don't bring expensive stuff into an area where you are doing alot of movement. It is so easy to break a nice set of iems if you are careless. I might even get some slack for saying to bring asg2's to the gym, as they are still highly regarded iems. (not as nearly as high as the rox IMHO.) 

Thanks for the input.  Honestly, I feel IEM are more designed for the purpose of portability and functionality.  When I had my Shure SE846; I didn't listen to them hardly at home because in the end the full size headphones like my LCD-3F, HD800, T1 etc just sounded better and was more comfortable for me than having something in my ear.  I feel IEM like JH are designed for portability and maneuvering around on stage for concerts etc.  I figured IEMs for stage use would be more durable and sweat proof because I have been to many concerts in Arizona outdoors, even during the crazy HOT summers, and these guys are sweating there butts off jumping around on stage.  I only see myself listening to high end IEM during my workouts and if I'm doing work at a coffee shop.  Other than that I use my full size headphones for home use.

Yeah its kind of scary using a 1000 dollar IEMs at the gym when you can easily break them if your not careful.  I have broken a few headphones at the gym.  From the cord getting caught and yanked but I solved that problem by putting the cord under my shirt.  But as much time as I spend at the gym; I would get more use from a nice sound IEMs than even my nice headphones at home.  I listen to my home headphones about an hour to two a week and my IEMs are more like 14 hours a week or more.  That is why I would invest in a nicer sounding IEMs. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #747 of 1,149

Thanks for the input.  Honestly, I feel IEM are more designed for the purpose of portability and functionality.  When I had my Shure SE846; I didn't listen to them hardly at home because in the end the full size headphones like my LCD-3F, HD800, T1 etc just sounded better and was more comfortable for me than having something in my ear.  I feel IEM like JH are designed for portability and maneuvering around on stage for concerts etc.  I figured IEMs for stage use would be more durable and sweat proof because I have been to many concerts in Arizona outdoors, even during the crazy HOT summers, and these guys are sweating there butts off jumping around on stage.  I only see myself listening to high end IEM during my workouts and if I'm doing work at a coffee shop.  Other than that I use my full size headphones for home use.

Yeah its kind of scary using a 1000 dollar IEMs at the gym when you can easily break them if your not careful.  I have broken a few headphones at the gym.  From the cord getting caught and yanked but I solved that problem by putting the cord under my shirt.  But as much time as I spend at the gym; I would get more use from a nice sound IEMs than even my nice headphones at home.  I listen to my home headphones about an hour to two a week and my IEMs are more like 14 hours a week or more.  That is why I would invest in a nicer sounding IEMs. 

True. I can see what you are saying and can agree. I sometimes on occasion still use my 846, Rox, Mentors at the gym, although the IE80 and ASG2 leave me with the least guilt. :). As much as I would like to listen to my headphones...I too use my IEM 75-80% of the time. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #748 of 1,149
G2 are great for the gym. I've used every pair of IEMS I own at the gym... Thankfully never had an issue... G2 are great due to price and a fun sound sig. I also like the Shure 8s as well as they isolate so nice for me. None that I own are sweat proof... I've only had one issue with sweat, temporarily shorting out an IEM...

Oct 6, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #749 of 1,149
For working out at the gym, I would never use my $100+ IEMs ever. There are plenty "budget" friendly IEMs that sound amazing like the vsonic VSD3S (detachable cable), Shure SE215 (detachable cable), Ostry KC06A, Havi B3 pro1 and many more. All of them sounds fantastic for the price. I will never use my Roxanne for the gym ever and the Bass controller pod will be annoying because it adds extra weight.
Also, who does critical listening when they are working out anyway LOL. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back