JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #408 of 1,149
To be honest, I was a little disappointed with the Roxanne's high-end treble extension and clarity. It may be better than the 846 but not better than the SM64 which I use to use before I got these universals.

I just demo'ed the AK version universal roxanne (AKR03) on my ak240 and find similar experience. There seems to be a lot less treble extension/clarity compared to my jh13fp or 1plus2. It definitely sounded darker than both and more like my tg334 in terms of tonality. This is with the bass tuned to about 2pm position. Transparency improved slightly with the balanced cable that is also included with this AK version but still falls behind jh13/1plus2/tg334 running in single ended cable.

One possible cause could be that it is a brand new unit with less than few hrs. I am not really a burn-in guy but do have personal experience gears could sound different after the initial few days of use. Would probably demo it again later down the road, and probably get a non AK universal rox to compare together.

Apr 28, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #409 of 1,149
I just demo'ed the AK version universal roxanne (AKR03) on my ak240 and find similar experience. There seems to be a lot less treble extension/clarity compared to my jh13fp or 1plus2. It definitely sounded darker than both and more like my tg334 in terms of tonality. This is with the bass tuned to about 2pm position. Transparency improved slightly with the balanced cable that is also included with this AK version but still falls behind jh13/1plus2/tg334 running in single ended cable.

One possible cause could be that it is a brand new unit with less than few hrs. I am not really a burn-in guy but do have personal experience gears could sound different after the initial few days of use. Would probably demo it again later down the road, and probably get a non AK universal rox to compare together.

Turn the bass down to 9 o'clock and you'll get more clariry in the treble. Bass of Roxanne tends to be boomy out of the box. You really need to spend some time breaking them in (and your ears/brain) to get the best result.

Apr 28, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #410 of 1,149

Turn the bass down to 9 o'clock and you'll get more clariry in the treble. Bass of Roxanne tends to be boomy out of the box. You really need to spend some time breaking them in (and your ears/brain) to get the best result.

Yes I did try from 9 o'clock to 2 and back to 9... (having read comments on 2 o'clock is similar bass level to jh13) but even at 9 I still find transparency lacking while bass suffers.

I think my impression of "lack of transparency/clarity/separation" is a product of the fullness of the sound. It could be a preference thing where it sounds too full for my taste and gave me an impression of lacking transparency. The quite prominent mids/vocal may also contributed to that impression. It could also be the AK version is tuned differently (and not to my taste). Would definitely return for another demo when it got a couple weeks of tuning time.

Apr 28, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #411 of 1,149
I think you are right. I got the same impression, I'm changed the EQ to tune down the bass and rox base set @ 0.

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #413 of 1,149
To my ears with a 3-day intense listening session with the Roxanne demos, the slight lack of transparency comes from a dip in the upper midrange/lower treble. It's not correctable by adjusting the bass, in my experience.

I found it sounded fine on its own, but suffered in comparison with other ciems including the jh13fp. So, I think your milage may vary depending on what you want to hear.

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #414 of 1,149
Lack of transparency? dip in upper mid range? The universals must sound way different from the customs because my customs sound nothing like what you described. 

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #415 of 1,149
  Lack of transparency? dip in upper mid range? The universals must sound way different from the customs because my customs sound nothing like what you described. 

It's really difficult to compare a custom with the universal. The tip alone plays a big role with inconsistent SQ. I got tired of universals because I can't get consistent SQ "all the time".

Apr 28, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #417 of 1,149

To my ears with a 3-day intense listening session with the Roxanne demos, the slight lack of transparency comes from a dip in the upper midrange/lower treble. It's not correctable by adjusting the bass, in my experience.

I found it sounded fine on its own, but suffered in comparison with other ciems including the jh13fp. So, I think your milage may vary depending on what you want to hear.

I heard exactly the same thing. Been to JabenSG many times and every time when I was there I always ask to audition the Roxanne. No matter which source I plug it to or which amp I try, it always sounded thick and veiled to me compared to my other IEMs like Sony EX-1000 and 1plus2. I even ask to demo the JH13Pro available in the store and it is bright compared to Roxanne. Roxanne has a very "in-your-face" sound signature even with a little bass dialed up. The closest IEM I have that shares a similarly thick SQ as Roxanne is my ASG-2. And I don't really like that SQ so I have to EQ the mid/upper-bass down while pushing the mid/treble up and it gets really close to the SQ of EX-1000 and 1plus2 after the adjustment (although it is still not as transparent/bright but at least much improved). My ASG-2 has its bass dial at halfway to the 1st notch. Here's my EQ settings for ASG-2 on my AK240: 

Maybe you can try EQing the same way if you have AK240 and see if it sounds better for the Roxanne.

Apr 28, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #418 of 1,149

I heard exactly the same thing. Been to JabenSG many times and every time when I was there I always ask to audition the Roxanne. No matter which source I plug it to or which amp I try, it always sounded thick and veiled to me compared to my other IEMs like Sony EX-1000 and 1plus2. I even ask to demo the JH13Pro available in the store and it is bright compared to Roxanne. Roxanne has a very "in-your-face" sound signature even with a little bass dialed up. The closest IEM I have that shares a similarly thick SQ as Roxanne is my ASG-2. And I don't really like that SQ so I have to EQ the mid/upper-bass down while pushing the mid/treble up and it gets really close to the SQ of EX-1000 and 1plus2 after the adjustment (although it is still not as transparent/bright but at least much improved). My ASG-2 has its bass dial at halfway to the 1st notch. Here's my EQ settings for ASG-2 on my AK240: 

Maybe you can try EQing the same way if you have AK240 and see if it sounds better for the Roxanne.

Woah..u listen to that asg-2 really bright. Does that not hurt your ears after a while?

Apr 28, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #420 of 1,149
You may right, or perhaps my current setup don't pair well with it, partly due to SR-71B i guess since it sound thick already (IMO)

If you have the updated SR-71B I doubt that it will make it thicker. The free update from Ray makes the SR-71B almost the pure line with a gain available. You need to get a set of balanced cables for your Roxanne to appreciate the beauty of the SR-71B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back