JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #347 of 1,149
Emmm, how do apple compares to orange?
confused.gif

One is a ciem, and the other is an electrostatic headphone. No?

I think it's perfectly reasonable to compare CIEMs to electrostats, or even to speakers.  Accurate sound reproduction is universal.  Radically different presentations make comparisons A LOT harder, but there's no reason not to try.  

Unfortunately, I don't have Stax SR-009s to compare.

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #350 of 1,149
Okay so I kind of have a confession to make. I am searching amongst these forums in search of the best CIEMs I can find but I currently use HD205 so I can imaging the step up will be ridiculous, I probably wouldn't like how they sound because I'm not used to such high quality sound. The only IEMs I have heard I thought were good are the apple EarPods and Samsung earphones. Do you recommend to jump straight up to audiophile headphones or gradually increase quality wise. I just cba to keep upgrading, just want the best then done. I have some context to how quality varies, after hearing skull candy earphones that sounded like the music was being generated from a toaster, absolutely terrible it can't be classified as music.

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #351 of 1,149
best to demo them and see what you think, you may find a level that is below what would be considered by reviewers and others as TOTL that is just right for you and save yourself some time and $$...JMHO

Mar 21, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #352 of 1,149
I have as presents Roxanne balance cable for my ak 240
But my Roxanne is not ready yet , it is already 3 month from my ear impression.
biggrin.gif

Can anybody fill me in as to where this cable came from?  Not that I have a set of Roxannes to pair with my AK240, but I am hopeful that I will get them before I die. Black Friday order #11942, CF shells and black cable.

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #353 of 1,149
Cross post from the other thread:
My Roxannes finally arrived today! So excited, to be honest I'm glad I went with the acrylic w/ CF faceplate in the end - I get the benefit of functionally identical aesthetics and I get to see all the effort's that gone into cramming those drivers in.

First impressions: these things are HUGE. I was using some custom Frogbeats C4s before, and they were about half the depth of these things. They're also a tighter fit, but actually they provide better isolation and they seem comfy enough once I work them in.

Bearing in mind I've only been listening to them for around an hour so, and I've been listening through both my O2 amp and my Cowon J3... these things ROCK. The first things that struck me: these have a very up-front presentation and are able to develop an impressively thick timbre. I've been messing around with bass settings and I've settled on 1 o'clock for now, although I'm sure that will change. The bass quantity and depth is fantastic, and I think that's where these seem to really shine over earphones I've used previously (gone from ER-4P -> Shure SE535 LTD -> Frogbeats C4).

They don't have the detail of my Sennheiser HD800's - what earphone does? - but so far I'm finding these just as fun to listen to, despite the sound signatures being worlds apart. I agree with the people who say these sound a bit "dark", and I think it's because there's a dip somewhere in the upper-mid/treble registers. After a little EQ to boost the upper mids though, they really come to life, so I think I'll be listening to these EQ'ed from now on; these EQ just fine, and for the sound quality I'm getting I'm definitely not complaining. They seem to particularly excel at anything that needs a "big" sound rather than being used for monitoring, and that's really what I bought these for anyway, so I'm dead pleased so far.

I've got a really nice macro lens coming in the post, so I'll put up some pics next week when it arrives.

Mar 22, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #354 of 1,149
My Roxannes finally arrived today! So excited, to be honest I'm glad I went with the acrylic w/ CF faceplate in the end - I get the benefit of functionally identical aesthetics and I get to see all the effort's that gone into cramming those drivers in.

First impressions: these things are HUGE. I was using some custom Frogbeats C4s before, and they were about half the depth of these things. They're also a tighter fit, but actually they provide better isolation and they seem comfy enough once I work them in.

Bearing in mind I've only been listening to them for around an hour so, and I've been listening through both my O2 amp and my Cowon J3... these things ROCK. The first things that struck me: these have a very up-front presentation and are able to develop an impressively thick timbre. I've been messing around with bass settings and I've settled on 1 o'clock for now, although I'm sure that will change. The bass quantity and depth is fantastic, and I think that's where these seem to really shine over earphones I've used previously (gone from ER-4P -> Shure SE535 LTD -> Frogbeats C4).

They don't have the detail of my Sennheiser HD800's - what earphone does? - but so far I'm finding these just as fun to listen to, despite the sound signatures being worlds apart. I agree with the people who say these sound a bit "dark", and I think it's because there's a dip somewhere in the upper-mid/treble registers. After a little EQ to boost the upper mids though, they really come to life, so I think I'll be listening to these EQ'ed from now on; these EQ just fine, and for the sound quality I'm getting I'm definitely not complaining. They seem to particularly excel at anything that needs a "big" sound rather than being used for monitoring, and that's really what I bought these for anyway, so I'm dead pleased so far.

I've got a really nice macro lens coming in the post, so I'll put up some pics next week when it arrives.

how long does it take you to receive your roxanne, i mean the waiting time.

Mar 22, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #356 of 1,149
These are really growing on me... I liked them at first, but it took me a while to really appreciate what they're capable of. They are mightily impressive earphones.

The only time I think I've heard such a combination of musicality and extreme resolution and transparency was – seriously – with the HE90s.

Mar 22, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #357 of 1,149

Nice! Congrats, looking forward to the pictures!

Mar 23, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #358 of 1,149
At this stage for those who have received their Roxannes, can we say the sound is improving with time (burn-in, brain-burn-in, etc)?

And if so, how does this change the initial impressions versus .. say.. the Kaiser 10, which seems to be the preference for those who have both.

Mar 23, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #359 of 1,149
  I just got my Roxanne's and I own SE846.

Sound quality wise they both sound wonderful.
Plenty of bass on both models, but Shure bass is a little clearer.
Treble is good and sparkly on both models.
I like the mids better on Shure, though. They sound more lush.
Soundstage and instrument separation is about the same.

Shure is very comfortable but stick out of the ear a little.
Roxanne's are obviously much bigger, but very comfortable nevertheless. And they don't stick out of the ear. They just go deeper in.

Build quality is very good on both models.
I love the Roxanne's cable connectors (the only problem is the collars, one of the is already broken). But it will be fixed by JHA vey soon.
I hate the Shure connectors and how the easily rotate. I got the aftermarket cable and sometimes the sound is cutting off because of that.

I am using Sony ZX1 loaded with ALAC and WAV files as the source DAP.

I love them both and I'll keep them both for sure.

Oh and the e500 comment was in response to the surprising review by Alkazhar of his Roxannes and seemingly to like sonically se846's more.  Which one would find surprising given the engineering of the Roxannes and their 12 drivers.  But again someone mentions well Shure seems to always throw out game changers.  That being said I was trying to figure out if I wanted to order the Roxannes or stick it out with the se846.  But as I stated the e500's really were game changers, and I feel like the se846 are the best product they've had since then.  The question is how do I get a hold of the Roxannes to compare without having to purchase them.  Already having dropped $1000 on the se846's.

Mar 28, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #360 of 1,149
Can anybody here answer this for me ? To those of you who like a neutral sound signature: Do you think the Roxanne is the best IEM you have heard ?

With the bass set at neutral that is. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back