JH Audio Lola Impressions and Discussions
May 20, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #76 of 739
Wow, the JH audio service is just as good as I remember it...NOT. I have sent the request to join the JH Crew at least 3 times (-20% for existing clients) and nothing happens. Then I contacted them by email as they asked and only got a one liner "cannot find your username" (the same username I use to login to their website....

They should have added "and please go f.... yourself"

I sometimes wonder how brands like JH continues to make so much money when there are many players who sound easily as good, and who know how to treat clients.
They seem slammed with business. Not a good reason for some of what happens but they are honest and friendly in my experience.

May 20, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #77 of 739
Hope some Angie owners chime in. Same number of drivers with just the mids changed out. Unless there are more changes inside.
I think the bass is handled differently. The Lola curve that's floating around for jh shows more low bass relative to midbass than Angie. I really like the Angie but didn't trade my jh13fp for them because I still preferred the 13s overall bass character when I dialed the Angie bass to where I liked the mid character but most prefer it more V shaped than I do. It wasn't a better or worse thing between them as much as different for me so not worth the swap. Roxanne was warmer than I like and haven't heard the Layla which is a bit too rich for my occasional type use. 13v2 and Lola have peaked my interest again.

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #78 of 739
I feel headphones will always have a bigger soundstage unless we are talking extremes(even then headphones will probably win). It's like apples and oranges. Headphones just have a bigger playing area. Beside that, high end IEMs are not far behind headphones. Headphones also usually tend to more cost efficient than IEMs. IEMs get increasingly difficult to improve after a certain point. That said, good headphones will always need a good amplifier so they balance out in terms of cost.

I feel that since you already own a high end CIEM, you should go for a headphone next. JH Lola will probably not beat the K10. At this TOTL level, one IEM will always do something better than another one and vice versa. Also, between K10 and Encore, I would probably choose the old K10. Newer one has too hot Treble for me. Just straight sibilant and too much. Mids and bass of the new one are good though.

Edit: Also read reviews at headfi with a grain of salt. For me, any headphone has never sounded exactly like I read in the reviews. One of the reasons being I am 20 and very Treble sensitive. Many reviews are done by guys who don't feel Treble hotness the same way I do.
It's not age, it's preference. I feel as you do about the highs of many IEMs that have 'sparkle' or enhanced clarity and I'm almost a senior. There's also more than tonality about high end IEMs. Something I get more from better JHA models than some others (when the bass isn't cranked up) is that sense of rhythm, delineated focus and how they can get black which I associate to freqphase. With many top IEMs, something may sound out of head on material when they really shouldn't or have extra harmonics but to me these are not advantages and will have to do with personal preference. I get less of these sort of artifacts of design from JH than most others. When set up well, they can be intimate or open depending on the recording. For instance, I really like the K10 you mentioned but it's not as rythmic to me nor gets as quiet between notes as my Jh13fp. It has great detail and balance along with a genuine ease of presentation, a big open balanced sound but I wouldn't swap. By contrast, my FPs could have a hair harmonic texture but I prefer them overall. JHAs new tweeter arrangement addresses that very thing. I haven't heard the Lola, jh13v2 or Layla but I suspect they are units I would covet.

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #79 of 739
They seem slammed with business. Not a good reason for some of what happens but they are honest and friendly in my experience.

Well I had quite an initially negative experience with then on the Roxannes...took them a year to deliver, with very bad communication.

For this JH Crew thing, I initially got one liner answers, and when I complained on headfi and FB...suddenly my problem was solved and I got a polite response.

So far not very convinced. I have to admit I am a bit hard to please with customer service, but so consider this is a high end business...you are paying above 1.5k for iems. So it seems only normal that service is excellent. As it is with many brands such as Custom Art, Vision Ears, EarSonics, etc.

May 31, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #81 of 739
Jun 5, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #83 of 739
Very interested in the Lolas and may get them once the universal version is available. I just have one concern, given the dynamic drivers, whether these are vented and leak sound more than the BA-only models. I'm not really knowledgeable about hybrid iems, but am I right that all dynamic drivers need vent holes? If so, wouldn't these leak sound and have have less isolation?

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #84 of 739
Very interested in the Lolas and may get them once the universal version is available. I just have one concern, given the dynamic drivers, whether these are vented and leak sound more than the BA-only models. I'm not really knowledgeable about hybrid iems, but am I right that all dynamic drivers need vent holes? If so, wouldn't these leak sound and have have less isolation?
No need to worry about a hybrid iem to leak sound.

Jun 14, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #87 of 739
Jun 15, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #89 of 739
Mine just shipped today! Should be here Friday. Will work on a 'first impressions' post early next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back