JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
May 10, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #2,341 of 2,420
The one I bought is this one
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000926673011.html
there are a few others that are similarly priced, and I've seen some on ebay as wel, but nothing like those posted at the start of this thread by another user. The quality is pretty good, the connector for the 2-pin is recessed with a plastic enclosure, so some cables might not work depending on how their 2pin plug is set up. the bass knob works, and I wonder if the bass knob being separate from the cable may have improved the cable dynamics a bit (or at least left them unaffected), since they do sound better than the stock 2.5/3.5 cable to my earslayla coverter 02.jpglayla converter01.jpg
Cool to see that you can get these cheaper now. I think the original was from Japan which was sold at least three times this price.

May 10, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #2,342 of 2,420
Any input or feedback is appreciated from folks that can help steer me in a direction :)

Have the 13s v1 and always yearned for more bass but never jumped on the 16s. Just got the bug again and got some Layla demos and am wowed by the bigger soundstage and more impactful bass BUT the universals are so big in my tiny ears that they won’t stay in and get painful. Going to go custom and already have molds but need to choose between Layla and Roxanne. When I do listen though, I actually prefer the Layla from my iPhone via lightning connector vs my WooAudio tube amp/Dac. It sounds cleaner with better highs and more crisp on my phone and a bit muddy and recessed on the tube amp. Now my 13s are the opposite and sound boring on my phone and amazing on my tube amp. That aside, some questions for anyone that can help:

1) I have small ears so universals are out.. are the Layla customs bigger or smaller than the Roxannes?

2) if I found the Layla’s to be a little muddy and recessed with my tube amp, should I not even entertain the Roxannes?

3) I love a big soundstage and separation but also enjoy fun and pumping music from time to time. It feels like the Layla’s are like the 13s on steroids minus the forwards highs I get on the 13s. If I miss the highs on the Layla’s, does that mean the Roxannes would be even more recessed?

Thanks so much in advance!! Want to hear the Roxannes before pulling the trigger but the Layla’s sound so good, I’m tempted anyway!!

:)

May 10, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #2,343 of 2,420
Any input or feedback is appreciated from folks that can help steer me in a direction :)

Have the 13s v1 and always yearned for more bass but never jumped on the 16s. Just got the bug again and got some Layla demos and am wowed by the bigger soundstage and more impactful bass BUT the universals are so big in my tiny ears that they won’t stay in and get painful. Going to go custom and already have molds but need to choose between Layla and Roxanne. When I do listen though, I actually prefer the Layla from my iPhone via lightning connector vs my WooAudio tube amp/Dac. It sounds cleaner with better highs and more crisp on my phone and a bit muddy and recessed on the tube amp. Now my 13s are the opposite and sound boring on my phone and amazing on my tube amp. That aside, some questions for anyone that can help:

1) I have small ears so universals are out.. are the Layla customs bigger or smaller than the Roxannes?

2) if I found the Layla’s to be a little muddy and recessed with my tube amp, should I not even entertain the Roxannes?

3) I love a big soundstage and separation but also enjoy fun and pumping music from time to time. It feels like the Layla’s are like the 13s on steroids minus the forwards highs I get on the 13s. If I miss the highs on the Layla’s, does that mean the Roxannes would be even more recessed?

Thanks so much in advance!! Want to hear the Roxannes before pulling the trigger but the Layla’s sound so good, I’m tempted anyway!!

:)
I won't tackle the sound aspect as I never owned the 13s or have used either on tubes but I can definiteively tell you that even in custom form Layla is bigger (thicker) than Roxanne.

May 10, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #2,344 of 2,420
I think the Layla is a bit warm on the upper mids to match well with tube amp. But i never tried though. Layla sounds great out of the iDSD signature and Paw S1. Not so great out of the Sony ZX507.

May 10, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #2,345 of 2,420
I did think the Layla strange when i first got it...but after a few weeks with it I think is the best all rounder I have. is the one with most ear time for a few weeks already.

May 10, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #2,346 of 2,420
I did think the Layla strange
How so? Comparisons with how other IEMs you have and what makes the Layla different from them, or weird by comparison, would be great.

For some context, my favorite IEMs are the 64Audio Trio and the Meze Rai Penta. That despite some people calling the Trio treble hot (not to me, exactly the opposite) and the Rai Penta boring or unengaging (again, when I pair it with my Questyle QP2r, exactly the opposite to me). That's the short version for me. I would love to hear your experiences with Layla as compared with others you use.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #2,347 of 2,420
How so? Comparisons with how other IEMs you have and what makes the Layla different from them, or weird by comparison, would be great.

For some context, my favorite IEMs are the 64Audio Trio and the Meze Rai Penta. That despite some people calling the Trio treble hot (not to me, exactly the opposite) and the Rai Penta boring or unengaging (again, when I pair it with my Questyle QP2r, exactly the opposite to me). That's the short version for me. I would love to hear your experiences with Layla as compared with others you use.
For me, at first listen, I though it was too warm compared to my A12t, LX and Nio. I remember actually changing the attenuator to 10PM to try to bring upper mids up. But then after acclimating it a bit more and changing the source (ZX507 to iDSD) it was like water and wine. Than I did some AB with the ZX507 and iDSD and found out the problem was the DAP, not the IEM.

Layla is a really nice to listen IEM, great soundstage, Imaging and details. A12t became my EDC, because it is great, but boring, does nothing exceptional, but nothing wrong. LX is my sweet pleasure for deep bass. Layla is A12t with better/more natural mids.

May 11, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #2,348 of 2,420
For me, at first listen, I though it was too warm compared to my A12t, LX and Nio. I remember actually changing the attenuator to 10PM to try to bring upper mids up. But then after acclimating it a bit more and changing the source (ZX507 to iDSD) it was like water and wine. Than I did some AB with the ZX507 and iDSD and found out the problem was the DAP, not the IEM.

Layla is a really nice to listen IEM, great soundstage, Imaging and details. A12t became my EDC, because it is great, but boring, does nothing exceptional, but nothing wrong. LX is my sweet pleasure for deep bass. Layla is A12t with better/more natural mids.

Since he has a QP2R, I think he would be fine with Layla. The QP2R is not a really warm dap in my opinion. Best to try it out first as JH Audio is now sending out loaner IEMs now.

May 11, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #2,349 of 2,420

Thanks for that.

To expand on @mwhals ' post, my QP2r rescued my Rai Penta from "...but boring, does nothing exceptional, but nothing wrong" and made it in some ways preferable to my Trio. They now get equal head time. So there you have it: the source does matter. I think I can imagine how you hear the Layla.

May 11, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #2,350 of 2,420
Since he has a QP2R, I think he would be fine with Layla. The QP2R is not a really warm dap in my opinion. Best to try it out first as JH Audio is now sending out loaner IEMs now.
What and where is this loaner program you speak of…?

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #2,351 of 2,420
Jun 5, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #2,353 of 2,420
I think the Layla is a bit warm on the upper mids to match well with tube amp. But i never tried though. Layla sounds great out of the iDSD signature and Paw S1. Not so great out of the Sony ZX507.
To confirm, I have a Sony WM1A and prefer the drive / power out of my FiiO Q5 for the Layla which sounds thin and unconvincing out of the Sony

Jun 9, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #2,354 of 2,420
Jun 9, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #2,355 of 2,420
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back