JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Jul 2, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #2,192 of 2,420
Greetings

Although I do not own the Layla, but I thought bout sharing this here also, as I love my JH Audio iems, and I have the Roxanne, Lola and Angie.

But I was always a bit bothered on being limited in trying different cables on my JH Audio iems

So I searched the net until I found out a great company in Singapore called Whyears that makes adapters, which allows you to use any after market cable with your JH Audio iems, and has bass boost implementation

I was skeptical first, as to whether those will work in a positive way or not, especially I wanted them to have bass boost implementation and to be as good as that which is on the original cables

Well I got the adapters few days ago from Whyears

I ordered 2 types of adapters, one to be used with MMCX cables and one with 2 pin cables

In my arsenal I have some of the cables from OC studio called the Monarch, and as well the Orpheus Mk5. Also I bought from Whyears a great 8 core copper cable that it is simply a great sounding cable with great built.

I am not going to into details how each cable sounds, as the purpose of me writing this, is to help some who would love to take their Jh Audio iems to next level with cable rolling, using their own favorite cables, and that is now possible within a decent cost. Those adapters cost 66 usd, and they work as a charm with any cable I tried, simply plug your cables into those adapters and there you go, you are now enjoying your favorite cables with your favorite JH Audio iems.

The bass boost is very well implemented, simply dial in your preferred bass amount as you do on the original cable, and adjust if you like to levels you desire.

I was waiting for a great option like this since I got into JH Audio iems, as I adore those iems but always felt the stock cables was just ok, and now I can tell you with cable rolling it will certainly take your listening experience using your JH Audio iems to next levels.

Also Whyears offer now a special discount code : spc10off

that you can use at check out to get a 10% discount on your order

Simply put those adapters are so well made, and it allows you cable rolling at a decent cost

Here is the link to the adapters

https://whyears.myshopify.com/products/jh-to-0-782pin

And here is the link to their website

https://whyears.myshopify.com/

Do not forget to check out their great cables which are truly amazing sounding and have a great built quality

20200223_122041.jpg20200223_122114.jpg20200223_122202.jpg20200223_122432.jpg20200223_122440.jpg20200223_121914.jpg20200223_121919.jpg20200223_121919_1.jpg20200223_122150.jpg
Curios question: if you somehow got a JHA cable with the bass-boost module and 2-pin (or MMCX) connectors, would the bass-boost function? Or is that what the extra pins in the 4-pin connector are for? So does Sound Eq lose his bass-boost by using after-market 2-pin or MMCX cables?

Jul 2, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #2,193 of 2,420
Curios question: if you somehow got a JHA cable with the bass-boost module and 2-pin (or MMCX) connectors, would the bass-boost function? Or is that what the extra pins in the 4-pin connector are for? So does Sound Eq lose his bass-boost by using after-market 2-pin or MMCX cables?
No you still have bass boost its just on the adapter. You plug your two pin or MMCX cable into those adapters and then on to what ever 4 pin JHA IEM you have.

Jul 2, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #2,194 of 2,420
No you still have bass boost its just on the adapter. You plug your two pin or MMCX cable into those adapters and then on to what ever 4 pin JHA IEM you have.
Thanks, I was wondering if that JHA bass boost feature split the signal such that it output the low frequencies on one pair of conductors and everything else on the other pair of conductors, thereby needing four wire/ connections at the ear piece.

Jul 2, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #2,195 of 2,420
Thanks, I was wondering if that JHA bass boost feature split the signal such that it output the low frequencies on one pair of conductors and everything else on the other pair of conductors, thereby needing four wire/ connections at the ear piece.
Macdonjh

You are correct in that the JH Audio use of the 8 wire design and 4 pin connector does prioritize connections to the crossovers for Low, Mid and High, and using the 8 wire design they are able to put the Bass Adjusters into the lines going to the "low" pins. (see attached photo from the internet for a connector manufacturer of the IEM side of the JH 4pin connector)
JH Audio 4 pin connector.jpg

If using a 4 wire cable, and using the adapters mentioned, the Bass Adjuster is connected in between the positive side input and the bass pin and all others connected directly to the positive input or ground.
While this does allow you to use less expensive 4 wire 2pin/mmcx cables, there are a LOT of reviews out there from reputable reviewers that have tested the 4 wire vs 8 wire versions of identical cables like the EA Thor II, EA Leonidas II, PlusSound EXO vs X8, and Satin Audio 4 vs 8 wire cables. (headfonia, headfonics and Twister6 have all done such reviews)
Usually there is a change in sound for the better. I've only seen one cable type not improve in reviews 4 wire to 6 or 8 wire.
I own these adapters with adjusters also (found them recently from a vendor in China) for both 2Pin and MMCX, as when you go to CanJam's or similar audio meets most cable makers bring only 2Pin or MMCX cables only. These adapters allow you to try other cable brands and types before settling on doing a custom 8 wire cable order
IMO, I really would not consider using these as a permanent connection. They seem a little to fragile and I too have heard differences 4 wire to 8 wire on the JH Audio IEM's, but YMMV. But it does allow me to test and try prior to spending money to get the actual JH connector with bass adjusters.
Hope this information helps

Jul 2, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #2,196 of 2,420
Macdonjh

You are correct in that the JH Audio use of the 8 wire design and 4 pin connector does prioritize connections to the crossovers for Low, Mid and High, and using the 8 wire design they are able to put the Bass Adjusters into the lines going to the "low" pins. (see attached photo from the internet for a connector manufacturer of the IEM side of the JH 4pin connector)
JH Audio 4 pin connector.jpg

If using a 4 wire cable, and using the adapters mentioned, the Bass Adjuster is connected in between the positive side input and the bass pin and all others connected directly to the positive input or ground.
While this does allow you to use less expensive 4 wire 2pin/mmcx cables, there are a LOT of reviews out there from reputable reviewers that have tested the 4 wire vs 8 wire versions of identical cables like the EA Thor II, EA Leonidas II, PlusSound EXO vs X8, and Satin Audio 4 vs 8 wire cables. (headfonia, headfonics and Twister6 have all done such reviews)
Usually there is a change in sound for the better. I've only seen one cable type not improve in reviews 4 wire to 6 or 8 wire.
I own these adapters with adjusters also (found them recently from a vendor in China) for both 2Pin and MMCX, as when you go to CanJam's or similar audio meets most cable makers bring only 2Pin or MMCX cables only. These adapters allow you to try other cable brands and types before settling on doing a custom 8 wire cable order
IMO, I really would not consider using these as a permanent connection. They seem a little to fragile and I too have heard differences 4 wire to 8 wire on the JH Audio IEM's, but YMMV. But it does allow me to test and try prior to spending money to get the actual JH connector with bass adjusters.
Hope this information helps
IT does, thank you for such a thorough post, especially the pin-out of the four-pin connector.

You don't happen to know if the newer seven-pin connector allows for separate grounds for each frequency range (with a suitable sixteen-core cable)?

Jul 2, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #2,197 of 2,420
IT does, thank you for such a thorough post, especially the pin-out of the four-pin connector.

You don't happen to know if the newer seven-pin connector allows for separate grounds for each frequency range (with a suitable sixteen-core cable)?
Sorry,
No I don't know as I have not found much on the new 7pin connectors, have not seen a pinout so can't say if its 2 each for each band and 1 ground or as you mentioned each band has its own ground, and the 7th pin is a dummy.
IMO, I don't think it is the later. but could be wrong.
In any case, until someone makes available the new connectors available for others to make cables with, your only choice will be the OEM cables.
I've read someplace (where escapes me at the moment) that when doing a custom molded model you can spec the older 4pin connector. Have not read or do not know about the universal model it is only the new 7pin connectors, or you can ask for the older 4pin connector.

Jul 13, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #2,198 of 2,420
You can certainly ask for the older 4pin connector. I just ordered a pair of Laylas this morning at JH Audio LA and was asking about the bluetooth cable which they only make currently in the 4pin flavor. Thomas there said I could order them with the 4pin cable if I wanted to use the bluetooth cable right away, it's not a big deal to me so I went with the 7pin.

Aug 30, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #2,201 of 2,420
How was it? Was considering getting the moon audio deal for 2k USD.
BTW is there any aftermarket 4.4mm cables for 7pin yet?

As I also have the JH13v2 Pro universal, the Layla’s exhibited a deeper base extension, a more bodied overall. As it was customs, the isolation was superior to universal. My bass dial was set at 12pm as compared to 2pm for my JH13 as I felt it might be a bit too powerful for my taste. Considering it be a full BA setup, the base was superb as I compared it with the Campfire Solaris 2020. I still prefer the Layla for its linear, flat signature.

But I think to get the most out of the Layla, you might need to pair it with a better DACAmp hence why I am waiting to get the Hugo 2. I currently use the dragonfly Cobalt but my experience with the Mojo was better as it really brings out the finer details and emotions. Mojo is warm, coupled with the full body of the Layla, it was a good mix compared to my dragonfly. But I think the Hugo 2 would do wonders.

I currently don’t have my Layla’s now as I sent it back for fixing due to a manufacturing defect. Sadly, one part of the wood structure wasn’t properly covered and it hurt my ears when removed.

But I did had a good week or so with it and the impressions were good.

Aug 30, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #2,202 of 2,420
As I also have the JH13v2 Pro universal, the Layla’s exhibited a deeper base extension, a more bodied overall. As it was customs, the isolation was superior to universal. My bass dial was set at 12pm as compared to 2pm for my JH13 as I felt it might be a bit too powerful for my taste. Considering it be a full BA setup, the base was superb as I compared it with the Campfire Solaris 2020. I still prefer the Layla for its linear, flat signature.

But I think to get the most out of the Layla, you might need to pair it with a better DACAmp hence why I am waiting to get the Hugo 2. I currently use the dragonfly Cobalt but my experience with the Mojo was better as it really brings out the finer details and emotions. Mojo is warm, coupled with the full body of the Layla, it was a good mix compared to my dragonfly. But I think the Hugo 2 would do wonders.

I currently don’t have my Layla’s now as I sent it back for fixing due to a manufacturing defect. Sadly, one part of the wood structure wasn’t properly covered and it hurt my ears when removed.

But I did had a good week or so with it and the impressions were good.
So how about after market cables?
I got sp2000 to feed it but I do want to used 4.4also, I was told JH themselves don't have 4.4 cable.

Aug 30, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #2,203 of 2,420
So how about after market cables?
I got sp2000 to feed it but I do want to used 4.4also, I was told JH themselves don't have 4.4 cable.

Hi my apologies on missing your second question.

I don’t think there is any upgradable cables for the Layla on 7 pin connection yet. Not that I am aware of. We might have to wait.

I think the Layla would fit great with the Sp2000. I did tried my Layla with the SE200 which spots the same AKM DAC chip of the Sp2000. It was good.

Aug 30, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #2,204 of 2,420

I don’t think there is any upgradable cables for the Layla on 7 pin connection yet. Not that I am aware of. We might have to wait.

I think the Layla would fit great with the Sp2000. I did tried my Layla with the SE200 which spots the same AKM DAC chip of the Sp2000. It was good.

I did read somewhere before that probably the biggest “pull back” of the Layla is the cable to realize it’s greater potential. I am honestly not sure myself but the upgrade cables should aim to improve its treble response and head room.

Aug 30, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #2,205 of 2,420

Thanks for your kind reply.
I'm now considering asking them to do 4 pin instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back