JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #2,086 of 2,420
Lol, anyone heard of Louis Vuitton looking to sell an IEM for $1000? It's snake oil. Unfortunately some clones out there with their LV bags may actually get it. LV is looking to use some $300 Master and Dynamics IEM and incorporate their LV design over it.

Feb 26, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #2,087 of 2,420
I may use this type of design for my CIEM of the Roxanne's to which I may not get the Layla's due to me getting a Hifiman's HE1000se.

53043101_2310010849250312_1489807928872402944_n.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-26_21-21-15.png
    upload_2019-2-26_21-21-15.png
    384.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #2,090 of 2,420
Anyone listens to Layla out of iPhone dongle, or Dragonfly Red? I would like to buy universal V1 Layla in near future, but want to keep my rig as light and basic as possible.
I used my Layla Custom out of my iPhone a lot this weekend. It works but you'll see big improvement with an external DAC/AMP. I hooked my phone up to my Mojo and it was a massive improvement. The Layla pairs really well with the Mojo. I re-bought the Mojo when I got the Layla due to comments in this thread and I have ZERO regret.

Mar 27, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #2,092 of 2,420
Thanks for your aswer! I had Angie and Mojo in the past but got rid of them as I wanted to try other rig and regreted it big time. I want to try Layla now and plan to keep it for a few years.
I know what you mean... I old the first Mojo I had and regretted it. I won't part with this one. I'm looking forward to the Mojo 2 if/when it comes.

Mar 27, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #2,093 of 2,420
Anyone listens to Layla out of iPhone dongle, or Dragonfly Red? I would like to buy universal V1 Layla in near future, but want to keep my rig as light and basic as possible.

Yes. It sounds ok out of a iphone dongle, slightly better out of the dragonfly red. It sounds the best out of my AK SP1000 CU dap though.

Between the dongle and red, red seems to have a bit better resolution but I have to go back and forth several times to hear the difference. They both fail as an amp though. The louder you go, the more you'll hear imperfections. Songs with more bass and a lot of excitement seem to distort in the highs when the bass is heavier. For me, Amy Whinehouse "rehab" has a lot going on, and a difficult song to for an amp/speakers to drive. There will be distortion in my test when an amp has a harder time keeping up, that isn't present in my McIntosh rig.

My AK doesn't have distortion, but my dragon red and dingle can. For on the go casual listening though, I thought they both did an ok job as long as I'm not listening for defects at a moderate volume, but you will benefit from a better amp, and slightly from a better DAC.

Mar 27, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #2,094 of 2,420
Lol, anyone heard of Louis Vuitton looking to sell an IEM for $1000? It's snake oil. Unfortunately some clones out there with their LV bags may actually get it. LV is looking to use some $300 Master and Dynamics IEM and incorporate their LV design over it.

No way will I buy this, but I'm a fan of LV. I don't mind the LV tax, but I'm not in the market for wireless universal fit IEMs, and I'm spoiled by Layla. I'll have a tough time downgrading. Also, this video talks about how they get hot. That's a sign of radiation problems.

I do want the LV leather zip up case though. I'm not a fan of JH Audio's box. It's good for shipping and offers protection from getting crushed, but it doesn't have internal protection to protect my CIEMs from getting banged up inside the metal case. The velvet is only on the top and bottom, not the sides. No protection from CIEMs rattling around on the sides.

Mar 27, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #2,095 of 2,420
No way will I buy this, but I'm a fan of LV. I don't mind the LV tax, but I'm not in the market for wireless universal fit IEMs, and I'm spoiled by Layla. I'll have a tough time downgrading. Also, this video talks about how they get hot. That's a sign of radiation problems.

I do want the LV leather zip up case though. I'm not a fan of JH Audio's box. It's good for shipping and offers protection from getting crushed, but it doesn't have internal protection to protect my CIEMs from getting banged up inside the metal case. The velvet is only on the top and bottom, not the sides. No protection from CIEMs rattling around on the sides.

Fully agree with you on JH's protection problem as my CIEP's rattle in their case as well. That's where pelican or seahorse cases come into play. I recently tried to get the LV x Supreme parka but the seller was adamant on 15k when I only wanted to do 12k. But those LV IEM's are foolish to get for many reasons. I saw the boxer, Jermell Charlo, wearing them.

Mar 27, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #2,096 of 2,420
I have the Layla, the Tia Fourte but then still bought the LV... Pretty good for just strolling around. On a more sedentary setting (on a plane for example), I would use the better ones. I think that is mainly because I won't carry around the SP1000 in any other setting. Tia Fourte is still the best sounding IEM across all customs and universals that I have listened to, but Layla (first gen) is still pretty impressive with its darker presentation, and some music really shines on the Layla.

Apr 4, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #2,097 of 2,420
got my Layla's that I had custom fit. the fit was very tight. JH audio did re-work them so I have a better feel.

one interesting item worth noting is that custom fit are designed to get a very secure acoustic seal. the materials used on custom fit are not pliable like tips on a universal fit. it is worth telling JH when ordering how you intend to use them.. If your never going to be onstage you can live with a looser fit.

also keep in mind that if you plan on using them when flying you may want to opt for universal fit as your body will swell when flying. I still found my custom fit tight when flying but after a week I tried them again and the fit was much better.

I have Roxane universal fit, which I still think will be my go too for international flights. still plying with my Layla's - the sound is amazing, but I may get them worked again, perhaps visiting JH directly when I move to Florida later this year

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #2,099 of 2,420
got my Layla's that I had custom fit. the fit was very tight. JH audio did re-work them so I have a better feel.

one interesting item worth noting is that custom fit are designed to get a very secure acoustic seal. the materials used on custom fit are not pliable like tips on a universal fit. it is worth telling JH when ordering how you intend to use them.. If your never going to be onstage you can live with a looser fit.

also keep in mind that if you plan on using them when flying you may want to opt for universal fit as your body will swell when flying. I still found my custom fit tight when flying but after a week I tried them again and the fit was much better.

I have Roxane universal fit, which I still think will be my go too for international flights. still plying with my Layla's - the sound is amazing, but I may get them worked again, perhaps visiting JH directly when I move to Florida later this year
When I receive my custom fits they were very uncomfortable at first but for some reason after about two or three attempts at about 1 hour each time, they fit perfectly now, I guess my ears adjusted and resize them selves. Now I can sit with them for hours without any discomfort.

Apr 5, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #2,100 of 2,420
I've noticed that there are several revisions to the universal Layla.
Do those revisions apply to the custom Layla?

There are no revision changes to custom Layla. Even it there were changes, it's moot because nobody re-shells custom Laylas to the same specs as JH due to special stainless steel "Wave Guide" sound tubes. If you want custom Laylas, you have to order whatever JH is offering at that point in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back