JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #451 of 2,420
For what sounds good? Absolutely not.

For what is marketed as a 2.5k mastering tool? Well define what makes a proper mastering tool. Measurements are usually involved in that discussion.

For what is objectively flat frequency response? Yes.

The only less than perfect mechanism is us humans
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't disagree with this but it implies something that measures perfect, should be. That is very much not the case and if there's something wrong that the measurements don't describe as is not uncommon, it's your ears that will tell you so. Measurements are good at measuring the parameter in question but is no more perfect at finding overall or complete goodness in a device. It's an interesting situation where some art in design and subjectivity in evaluation will always be in the mix.

What I'm saying is that measurements are good tools at finding things that could be improved but are not good for absolute goodness evaluations. It should measure VG and sound VG to be VG.

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #452 of 2,420
Maybe OCD, maybe fact, or maybe I'm just expecting something that just isn't there, however I swear the TS complys sounds clearer than the TSX with their wax guard.

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #456 of 2,420
Care to share what is it that is just not really there? The mid frequency?
Coming from the SE846 (white filters) and then the 1p2, both of which are treble-centric, the Layla appears somewhat subdued by comparison...

The stock tips are either too dark (comply) or weirdly coloured (silicons) to my ears, but - with a bit of manipulation, and with the TS type tips, helps to redress the balance - not to the same extent as the 1p2, but adds a nice naturalness that wasn't there before.

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #457 of 2,420
I ordered a pair of Layla's and should have them Tuesday! 

In the mean time I'm starting to look into DAP's.. 

My eyes are heavily focused on the AK100ii but I have a question... The AK100ii has balanced out and will work with the Layla. 

Would I be able to it as a DAC/Amp via USB/Optical on my PC and further as a DAC/Amp with my Android phone like I can with my FiiO E18?

I still plan on using it as just as DAP but if I could use it at work and home when I'm at my PC as a balanced setup that'd be freaking awesome and on the go when/if I want to use Tidal with my phone.

Thanks!

Jun 21, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #458 of 2,420
Coming from the SE846 (white filters) and then the 1p2, both of which are treble-centric, the Layla appears somewhat subdued by comparison...

The stock tips are either too dark (comply) or weirdly coloured (silicons) to my ears, but - with a bit of manipulation, and with the TS type tips, helps to redress the balance - not to the same extent as the 1p2, but adds a nice naturalness that wasn't there before.

Thanks for sharing, I have seen a few mention that the Layla was a little dark or veil. But there are some that say it's too bright so I am still a little unsure. I am afraid of dark sound signature.

Jun 21, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #459 of 2,420
Thanks for sharing, I have seen a few mention that the Layla was a little dark or veil. But there are some that say it's too bright so I am still a little unsure. I am afraid of dark sound signature.

It's likely due to the type of tip used. Everyone's results may vary but from my past experience I've discovered this:

Silicone: tends to be brighter and lighter sounding.

​Foam: tends to dampen the treble some and add more warmth to the sound sig. It can also effect some resolution and create a veil.

If someone is saying that it's veiled and dark it's likely due to either improper fit and/or foam tips. If it's overly bright and sibilant it could be due to bad fit and/or foam tips.

There are tons of tips out there to try and if you're patient enough and do enough searching you'll find one that's both comfortable and sounds best to your ear. 

Jun 22, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #462 of 2,420

It's not dark. It's a pretty neutral signature; it's just that the linearity/flatness is debatable. The veil is in the middle mid and has nothing to do with whether it is dark or bright.

Jun 22, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #464 of 2,420
It's not dark. It's a pretty neutral signature; it's just that the linearity/flatness is debatable. The veil is in the middle mid and has nothing to do with whether it is dark or bright.

Thanks for the clarification. I am so impressed by Angie that I want to try Layla and see what is it really about. $2500 is alot of money for an IEM so I am still holding back a little..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back