1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread

First

Back
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Next

Last
  1. goodvibes
    I've found some litz cables kind of furry sounding on the 13s though they can obviously be detailed and tonally good. 

2. Currawong Contributor

I don't know if it is connected, but if my understanding is correct, the idea of having multiple drivers for the lows, mids and highs was to allow for greater headroom, ie: the ability to turn it up loud without distortion. There are a lot of old rockers out there with stuffed hearing who need that, so it would make sense. For me at least, the coherency with the Laylas overcomes any feeling I have about the overall tone of the presentation.

Again, going off-the-top-of-my-head (ha!) from discussion with industry people at CanJam, until recently, there hasn't been a lot of research into tech that can produce or record the treble in-ear accurately. BAs were designed for hearing aids, where it wasn't important, and high-quality measurement gear for headphones likewise has only been a more recently innovation. Connect dots to the recent discussion as appropriate.

3. goodvibes
    I think tumburu is on the same page and likes those same attributes. He was just strictly pointing at the frequency response. Though it sometimes doesn't seem like it here, I think we're aware that there's a lot more to this that tonal balance. I'm a fan of freqphase but it's also not the only thing so [​IMG] to you both. 

The way the drivers are doubled up also prevents vibration and corresponding IM distortion. It's not just about cranking. On the Angie, the bass control should actually be most functional at these attributes full up which would be one theoretical advantage of the Layla or even a JH13 where each woofer has an identical mechanical inverse. The 4 tweeters are a bit about that and I suspect about being able to manipulate pairs to better balance and extent the highs. I doubt that it's a common quad.

4. tumburu

Indeed, there's a lot more. And I'm very happy with pretty much everything else they deliver, except the FR.

5. Cagin
  6. tumburu
    Wow.

Well, indeed, a 20 band full parametric can surely help (a linear phase option would be nice), although I'm not sure it's fully parametric. I'd say the term 'mastering grade' is probably relatede more to the costs, you can buy some nice flat speakers for 7k.

7. Mimouille
    Well it better offer exceptional sound, because:
    1. I am not paying 3.5k$ for an EQ
    2. I am not paying 3.5k$ for the possibility of overpaying an amp that should not be needed on a 3.5k$ DAP

The additional price seems to be justified by the transition from Cirrus to AKM. Man I wish I could take a look at their margins.

audionewbi and fnkcow like this.
  8. goodvibes
     To be fair, when you consider how individual ears vary and the nature of devices, you could EQ every IE if you had an effective means of doing so. Not my thing but I get it.

I'm probably not buying one either but if it's the best sounding thing out there, many will, especially those that like to EQ. I think the new Femto Clock, EQ and DNLA abilities have more to do with the upgrades than the DAC chip though being future proof for native 32 bit is a good thing. I personally don't see much gain beyond 24/192 but others will want it and I can see playing natively from a mix before downsampled etc. Sounds like a ground up redo.

9. robm321
    Audiophiles are such sheep these days. Price something high and they flock to it.

10. DrSheep
    Bah.

cpurdy likes this.
  11. Rico613

I'm holding out for an A&K with onboard 10 M rubidium clock !! [​IMG]

12. goodvibes
    It's the next RWA upgrade.

13. AnakChan Moderator
    So this past Saturday at the Fujiya show, I had a listen to the FitEar Monet 17 and was highly impressed with it. The demo units felt less bassy, more treble uniformity and airy compared to my MH335DW-SR. The Monet 17 also felt more spacious. I was highly impressed with the Monet 17 to the point I was asking for prices.

Why is this on the Layla impression thread?

On Sunday, I borrowed Currawong's Layla to compare against the Monet 17 and the Just Ears. Bear in mind that these are quick impressions but I have heard the Monet 17 the day before and the Just Ears 2 weeks before at their display. The Monet 17 despite having less bass than the 335DW-SR still sounded a tad warmer than the Layla. They both sounded airy but the Layla seemed to have a little more "space" to breath between the two. There was a little more colour to the Monet 17 and therefore felt the Layla was somewhat more tonally balanced. Meanwhile for the Just Ears (primarily with the monitors), I felt the shift was more towards the upper mids coming from a slight dip in the lower midrange. Both the Just Ears Monitor & Laylas felt spacious to me but again the Laylas sounded more tonally balanced.

As I was talking to another member offline, the Laylas are (to me and him) reminiscent of an extremely spacious UERMs. Sadly I had to return them back to Currawong but for that brief 2.5 hr loan I got from him and managed to compare with other high end IEMs, I was impressed with the Laylas.

MacedonianHero likes this.
  14. goodvibes
    Thanks Anak. I still personally prefer the Angie but it's a nice perspective that the Layla still sounds better and more reference to you than other respected top models that also claimed to be natural or accurate. When things get this costly it deserves to be critically evaluated but perspective is a good thing. I find the Layla a tad warm for my taste but it's personal and isn't as warm or laid back as others that get nothing but acclaim. That and the sense of tangibility in FPs is 2nd to none.

There will never be a perfect IEM nor something perfect to drive it but a few do some very wonderful things and allow a bit more insight. The idea that at this price, it should be perfect for everybody, all the time is just silly. It should simply be most preferred by decent percentage of consumers that can and care to afford it. 

15. hipnick
    I spent a month now with my universal Layla's and I am very happy with them, the sound is just amazing. The only problem is they get uncomfortable after sometime. I will give the Comply comfort tips a shot, but I think it is due the fact that you are sticking something huge into your ear. So I don't think they will ever compete with on-ears in terms of comfort. Besides, for me this was always the case with IEMs, even with a compact one like the Hifiman RE-0, so maybe it's just me.

But in my opinion, they do compete with most on-ear headphones in terms of sound. Because of these comfort issues, I am in the market for a high-end on ear. After Layla's my HD-600's are not cutting it anymore.

So, I auditioned the LCD-X and HD 800 last week. And I must say when you have the Layla, the LCD-X is not that impressive with only a tad bigger soundstage and I found the tonal balance on the Layla's better than both. It would be quite an advantage to be able to run the LCD-X from any portable source but the amazing soundstage on the HD-800's puts them in a different league for me. 

I don't have any experince with other high-end cans. But I like a natural sound signature. So in this price range, I think I would only prefer the HD-800's over Layla's, which I am planing to buy soon.

I don't consider myself an audiophile, I just love music, especially large classical works. I am new to high-end headphones.

So, bottom line, do I recommend the Layla's? Yes.

If you want the absolute best sound, you prefer a natural sound, you like classical music, you need isolation, you have this kind of money and you don't like the idea of custom IEM's, then get them. Prepare to get the best portable source as well.

How do I describe the sound to someone relatively new in the headphone game like me? I will try to explain in terms of some more popular headphones like Hifiman RE-400 and Sennheiser HD-600, which people can easily get access to. Take RE-400 and multiply the details by 3, by details I mean, think about the pluck of a guitar, you are hearing it like you have your ear just next to it. Then add a 3d holographic soundstage bigger than HD-600's, with an excellent cohesion, and think about the sound is like you are much closer to the stage and every instrument just sounds so much real.

That's about it. Thanks for reading.
    I hope this helps someone thinking about taking the plunge like me.

costas23 and Cagin like this.
First

Back
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Next

Last