JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #256 of 2,420
More info coming soon :)

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #257 of 2,420
I could push it but I am a nice guy :) Eric Clapton wrote and sang the song it was inspired from. All the Siren series names come from women in rock songs. And in this song, Eric says :
"Layla, you've got me on my knees.
Layla, I'm begging, darling please.
Layla, darling won't you ease my worried mind." She's says ease my mind but in this case she eases your wallet.

Ha ha! Yes, Eric Clapton! I'm silly, I forget Siren iems are for woman's names in rock music. I think if Layla, Angie and Roxanne not very good finally maybe Sadie (of The Beatles) will be perfect?

"Sexy Sadie oooh you broke the rules
One sunny day the world was waiting for a lover
She came along to turn on everyone
Sexy Sadie the greatest of them all
Sexy Sadie how did you know
The world was waiting just for you
The world was waiting just for you"

But $5000 for Sadie is crazy money!!

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #258 of 2,420
On an instinct I grabbed an amp I'm very overdue to review, the Sound Potion Monolith, and tried it with the Laylas. The result is a bit V-shaped, but very pleasant to listen with, as it adds to the sense of "space" and adds just the right amount of warmth with vocal tracks. 

It's a bit of an unusual amp, being all-discrete and powered by 2x 3.7V batteries.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711568/sound-potion-monolith
http://soundpotion.cart.fc2.com/?ca=7 (I think you have to buy the case separately.)

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #264 of 2,420
Hi there
IF there is a God, he speaks to me through my Laylas and NW-ZX2
I have been listening to mostly vinyl for the past 40 years through Audio Note Gear and a Linn full Monty table.
The Layla/Sony combo isn't necessarily better, just very different. It is, i imagine, what very very (the best ) dope is like
Hallelujah

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #265 of 2,420

Good question! At some point I'll get the DITAs out again and compare. I also want to compare with the Tralucent Ref 1 as I was pretty impressed with them too. 

Fantastic when I tried them. My Hugo is hooked up to amps at the moment, but I'll have another go later.

Very annoyingly I had a significant shift in FR when driving them from my AK240 directly, then using the SE out to an ALO Audio Rx (new model) and again from the Calyx. I need to try and nail down what the heck is happening, because it wasn't trivial at all. The AK240 made them sound quite dark, the Rx opened up the treble and "soundstage" and the Calyx was somewhere in the middle. If anyone else has had weird experiences like this, please do say.

I think it's called revealing.
wink.gif

May 2, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #266 of 2,420
Hi there
IF there is a God, he speaks to me through my Laylas and NW-ZX2
I have been listening to mostly vinyl for the past 40 years through Audio Note Gear and a Linn full Monty table.
The Layla/Sony combo isn't necessarily better, just very different. It is, i imagine, what very very (the best ) dope is like
Hallelujah

Just add the new VorzAmp Pure II+ and God speaks even more:wink::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

May 2, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #268 of 2,420
Is the Vorzamp available in UK or did you import it?

Same price, they ship from Germany or Singapore, mine came from germany super quick, but i did ask about customs, they'll do whatever is necessary if needed.

May 5, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #269 of 2,420
Disaster strikes.  Today I received my Layla.  Having trouble fitting it the right way in my left ear.  Compared both earpieces and their shapes are quite different.  There is a strange curvature or hump in the left earpiece that doesn't let one quite get a nice fit and makes it uncomfortable.  Moreover, the sound is kind of unbalanced given the different shapes.  What's wrong with Mr. Harvey? Shouldn't he be using molds for his IEMs that are mirror images of one another?  Shoddy craftsmanship...a shameful travesty...and all for a cool 2.5K.  I have several IEMs (e.g., sennheisers; shures, etc) and both earpieces are exactly the same size and shape.  Moreover, in my opinion, the accolades these Laylas have received are quite overblown.  I don't hear the huge soundstage people have been talking about.  My full sized cans all sound better than these...I even like my Shure 846s better because they fit much better.  What a disappointment!!!

May 5, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #270 of 2,420
^ I assume you have the custom molded Layla.  Here is my experience with custom IEM's.  

I had trouble fitting my custom JHA 16 pro's at first.  They are supposed to be tight - that means uncomfortable and the left and right ear canal can be quite different.  I put them in for a few minutes and took them out for a couple hours and repeated the process the first day.  The second day I could wear them longer, but only 10 or 15 minutes.  Then I had to stop wearing them all together and let me ear heal up from getting stretched out.  After a week - 10 days, they fit nicely once my ear canal adjusted.  It is a bit uncomfortable but well worth the hassle.  I also found that I had to sort of cork screw in the IEM.  Fitting them into the outer ear first and then twisting as they went in.  It is easy to pinch part of the outer ear under the IEM and it is an ouch for sure.  As for the sound quality they will need at least 50 hours of good burn-in and will probably sound better after 200 hours.  After the first few weeks the fit was very tight but comfortable and it completely blocked outside sounds.  Now after a few years they still fit perfectly.  I'm praying my custom Layla's will fit this well once they arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back