1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread

First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Next

Last
  1. lojay
    There are secondhand sections in hifi forums where I come from - it's nice to have access to several different markets. Not a huge discount but I am more than happy to buy it sub-$2000.

2. lojay
    Bought my Laylas today and amping them up through my EC 445. Let me just say this: they sound just like my modded HD800s in terms of their neutral tone/ timbre and amazing instrumental separation, and are just a pleasure to listen to. 

Worth every frigging penny. Of course if you are not into the HD800's sound signature and strengths, i.e. realism, and wish to have some added warmth or bass-bump, i.e. excitement and euphony, these are not for you.

In terms of microdynamics and transients, the SR009 is still noticeably faster and more natural, and hence in that sense more detailed. I can see them replacing my HD800 in the long run but not my SR009.

3. audionewbi
    Congrats, I cannot justify the price for the Layla currently however I did ordered the Kaede II (after many hesitation) and I have read that it is also a master at retrieving details. I am looking forward to auditioning the Layla in a near future once A2A opens their store in my area.

4. ubs28

What does it do worse than the HD800? I'm still looking for a closed headphone or IEM that is like the HD800. Looks like Layla fits the bill.

5. lojay
    Take this with a pinch of salt as I only heard the Layla for about 2 hours. I personally find the HD800 more comfortable. Perhaps I need to play around with different tips. But I think the Layla is more foregiving of poor recordings than the HD800 modded, though not by much, and may therefore be more comfortable on the ears for long listening sessions.

I think the HD800 ultimately has a more expansive soundstage and better stage depth, thereby giving a sense of better realism than the Layla. If you have nice speakers that shouldn't matter to you since you would use your speakers anyway to enjoy a nice soundstage and sense of space.

The HD800 has slightly more of a leading edge in its treble and crisper imaging. It also seems to have faster transients. These are just slight differences IMO. I think they sound very similar but the Layla has a noticeably more pleasant upper midrange.

Also noticeable is that the HD800 has more and better defined bass compared to the Layla in its default mode, but you can adjust the bass quantity on the latter.

Finally, only the Layla has a cool name- coincidentally after one of my favourite Eric Clapton songs (though it's quite a poor recording).

6. MacedonianHero Contributor

Agreed. With the HD800s however, I'm keeping mine around due to their awesome sound staging, but your comments are pretty bang on IMO.

7. tumburu

Did anyone else notice this problem? That would be a deal breaker for me, since I intend to use them as monitors and I'm highly sensitive to high frequency peaks. If that's true, the 'mastering grade' advertising is misleading. 

8. jelt2359 Contributor

The buddy I was with could not endure the sibilance on both the universal Layla and Angie (with female vocals). He was quite disappointed actually, since he really wanted to give them a go, but I guess it was not to be.

9. Jon1323

Had the same issue with my Roxanne Universals, they were real sibilant and harsh on some songs especially like Tumburu said with female vocals. However, whether it was brain burn in or the IEM itself I don't know but it does go away after about 100-200 hours. I don't notice it much at all anymore. 

10. tumburu
    Well, from the descriptions on these two threads, I understood it has less prominent highs (also when directly compared to k3003, which I have and which are too bright for me). Now reading it has more fatiguing treble than the AKG is disappointing, since I surely don't want that.

If someone could run a sine sweep and identify where the bump is and how big it is, could help me understand what's there.

11. MacedonianHero Contributor
    The Layla's have likely some of the best treble I've heard. Far from the HD-800s (that can be problematic if your rig/ source has issues) that way. Not sibilant, nor piercing in anyway whatsoever in my several weeks with them. But unlike virtually all other IEMs (most anyway), the treble actually extends beyond 10kHz (and all without being strident). 

I've run several sweeps with them and couldn't pick up any areas of "trouble" in the FR.

12. acain

You should post your sweeps.

13. MacedonianHero Contributor

Sorry, I should have clarified that they were done with my ears. I've done this for years and I'm pretty consistent at picking them out.

14. jelt2359 Contributor
    Fwiw in direct comparisons I found the Angie less sibilant than the Layla. But I know of some friends who couldn't take the treble of either.

15. acain

Are we going to see a review of all your new CIEM's?

First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Next

Last