Jh Audio Jolene Impressions and Discussion
Jun 17, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #725 of 1,253
My Jolene’s are waiting for me after work!!! I'll upload pics as promised and my impressions down the line.
Congrats Nace!
I hope the visual impact you were looking for is met with your choice of all clear, but have no doubt it will
For sure the sound quality will more than meet your expectations!
Look forward to hearing your impressions

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #726 of 1,253
My Jolene’s are waiting for me after work!!! I'll upload pics as promised and my impressions down the line.

Woooo new fun time on the horizons 🙃😎

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #727 of 1,253
Still on the fence about getting a pair... QC issues solved?

Jun 18, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #728 of 1,253

I wrote awhile ago about channel imbalance but it was both my sources that stopped working properly at the same time the same day I got the Jolenes. Crazy timing. So I thought it was the Jolenes that had channel imbalance. But everything works now.

Best sound I have ever heard from in ears. Especially with a neutral source.

Jun 18, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #729 of 1,253
I would say yes.
Another head-fier, Nace, stated above that during final check, JH Audio didn't like something and was reworking his IEM's
I shared a picture of a flaw in the appearance, and before I knew it, they sent me an email stating they were making another set for me to exchange.
JH Audio as long as I have been working with them (and I'm just an every day Joe, not a big name performer) has been EXTREMELY helpful and responsive, and has proven to me a com[any that gives a "Sh!t" about customer service and quality

If on the fence I'd say order with confidence.
These IEM's sound absolutely great and amaze me everytime I listen to a track I know well, just how good they sound.

Jun 18, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #730 of 1,253
Hey guys!

After spending the night with my Jolene's, it would appear as though my original fear has made itself a reality. From initial insertion of them, I felt a sharp pain inside both canals right at the first bend of my ear canals, where the tips are poking. For those who hadn't read my issues with getting impressions, I have a narrow and sharp bend inside my canals that the canal tip of an IEM cannot get through; if it pokes against it, it causes me a sharp pain.

Long story short, I got the OK from an ENT doctor but didn't get the shallow impressions I initially intended. The result is that the tips of the canals of the Jolenes hit this sensitive bend in my ear stopping them from being properly seated in my ear and getting a complete seal. Without the proper vacuum-like seal, I wasn't able to get the sound quality of the Jolene's full potential, which I know and love, thanks to my demoing of the universals. With the lack of the seal, I was victim to at times ear-splitting treble and an overall hollow and muffled sound on my favorite tracks. It sounded very bright because of the lack of bass from no seal and the sound stage was not what it was on the universal.

However, I couldn't be more happy in general with them and I am more motivated than ever to find a solution to this problem! ...which brings me to a refit. I am now on the fence on whether a simple shaving of the ear canals' lengths at Orlando would allow me to fully insert for a complete seal, or if I will need to have a fresh set of impressions taken specifically with shallow canals; I do know that they can be too shallow, leading to issues with a full seal and therefore bass, not to mention these mammoths falling out! It seems like not too much really needs to be taken off in order for me to insert them completely for that suction-like seal, but I would love for you guys to let me know what you think!

Sorry about the quality of the photos, I was in a rush this morning and didn't have time for my DSLR. But here they are as promised! 😁

Attachments

• 20210618_093932.jpg
    20210618_093932.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210618_094319.jpg
    20210618_094319.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210618_094212.jpg
    20210618_094212.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210618_094042.jpg
    20210618_094042.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #731 of 1,253
Jun 18, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #733 of 1,253
What would you guys recommend me to do in this situation?

Your options are first contact JH then see if you can shave some pressure points and if that dont work then its a refit.
Getting it right can sometimes take 4 retouches and 1 refit.

At times can be very disappointing cause it takes that long to get it right. But once you got it then your a very happy camper!
And remember to tell JH to register all the new fixes so they can add it to your future custom sets.

Jun 18, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #734 of 1,253
What would you guys recommend me to do in this situation?
Definitely contact JH and see what they think before jumping to any conclusions or decisions.

Jun 18, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #735 of 1,253
@Vitaly2017
@mashuto

Thank you Vitaly for breaking that down for me! Seems like it's a no-brainer to see if a simple shaving of the ear canals will solve my problems. Thanks for noting the difference between a retouch and a refit, a retouch is a hell of a lot easier than getting all-new impressions and starting from square one!

Mashuto, thanks for catching me getting ahead of myself. I'll leave it up to the guys in Orlando to figure what is best. As far as the future timeline goes, I understand a retouch is very quick, but if I was to end up needing a refit, would I end up waiting the same time as the original build or is the process expedited? If I remember correctly, you had some back and forth with yours; did you end up getting a refit? If so, what was the timing with that?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back