JH Audio JH5pro thread
Oct 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #1,036 of 1,217

I know email isn't the ideal form of contact. But I'm a student, living in New Zealand. For me to call America and have even a 10minute conversation would cost me more than I earn in 3 hours of work. $400 to me is 3 weeks worth of rent and bills. To me, it's rather a big deal.
I didn't mind the issues the first time, I understood there was a possibilty I would have fit issues or the like. I had QC issues, I wasn't too upset about that.
It was that having them repaired, and sent back, nothing was fixed. That's where I feel JH-audio really fell down.
Like I said, it's how mistakes are dealt with that I feel show a companies worth. admitting and responding is ok, but having to deal with it twice, is what isn't ok.
That's the main thing.
I'm happy with them now. I just hope I never have to deal with the company again.

I hate to say this but I would hesitate to buy a custom overseas. I'd need to be very sure it was the one for me. Of course the options become too small in some countries. I do understand the frustration but I could tell you were venting a bit. Sorry to match that.

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #1,037 of 1,217

I hate to say this but I would hesitate to buy a custom overseas. I'd need to be very sure it was the one for me. Of course the options become too small in some countries. I do understand the frustration but I could tell you were venting a bit. Sorry to match that.

...so people in New Zealand shouldn't buy custom earphones?  Or Australia?  What about the UK?  All of South America and Africa?

There are legions of US Head-Fi'ers who own UM, Heir Audio, Hidition, etc CIEM's who got them via overseas ordering and are happy customers.  You might argue that if a language barrier is in place then you might want to re-consider, but geographic location is no excuse for failing to reply to emails.

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #1,038 of 1,217
I never even came close to saying that. Nice comprehention. Plenty of issues have been mentioned with overseas maker CIEMs by US buyers including shipping problems and long delays. Spiral Ears have stopped selling into the US because of issues they've had. What are you going on about?

I said I would personally hesitate unless absolutely sure but that I understand that other have no choice. I didn't even completely exclude myself. I also never said JH was correct in their (non)handling of emails. Just to be aware that it's not the best way to communicate with them. Doesn't excuse not responding even if email is not a normal sales or service conduit for them but they are easy to contact via other means. 

Oct 3, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #1,039 of 1,217

...so people in New Zealand shouldn't buy custom earphones?  Or Australia?  What about the UK?  All of South America and Africa?

There are legions of US Head-Fi'ers who own UM, Heir Audio, Hidition, etc CIEM's who got them via overseas ordering and are happy customers.  You might argue that if a language barrier is in place then you might want to re-consider, but geographic location is no excuse for failing to reply to emails.

Here's a post from TODAY in the Unique Melody thread and I'm not implying they're any better or worse. It just happens:

An excerpt from a UM Global letter I just received:"You are an extremely valued client of ours and we absolutely cannot wait to get these in ear monitors into your ears.  As we’re sure you are aware, UMLab, where all of our IEM’s are manufactured has been recently swamped with orders and without prior notice, lead times for custom IEM builds have been extended to well over 14 to 18 weeks, roughly 3 to 4 times our standard lead time."

Please, everyone interested in a custom IEM, save yourself some grief and choose another manufacturer of which there are many.  Customer service and the ability to deliver a product within a reasonable time frame coupled with decent communication throughout should be expected.

The letter I got was a form letter.  My request to cancel the order has so far been wilfully ignored.

I also contacted UM Labs who replied once asking for details of my order and now have fallen equally silent.

This isn't just UM Global, the entire company is obviously dysfunctional and riddled with issues.  These are not people you want to give a large sum of money.  Note that they have had my payment since the 4th of May 2013.

If you're willing to wait 6 months or more for a product you may or may not recieve go for it... everyone else be warned.  UM has become the new Alien Ears.

Imagine overseas refit time and with this backlog and how much time they lose needing to respond to consumers, causing even longer waits.

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #1,040 of 1,217
I've been in such a dilemma last few months. My JH5 doesn't fit as well as when I first got them (which happens with customs) so I can sell them (although I won't get much) or get them reshelled but these are a $400 custom so I'm not really sure if it's worth it to get them done again since I'll have a JH13 and a V6 Stage to go with my UERM soon. The JH5 was the first custom that made me fully appreciate customs and just how good they are however.

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #1,041 of 1,217
Might as well sell them then, unless you really like the sound.  A bit of cash is better than having something lying around I suppose.

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #1,042 of 1,217
  I've been in such a dilemma last few months. My JH5 doesn't fit as well as when I first got them (which happens with customs) so I can sell them (although I won't get much) or get them reshelled but these are a $400 custom so I'm not really sure if it's worth it to get them done again since I'll have a JH13 and a V6 Stage to go with my UERM soon. The JH5 was the first custom that made me fully appreciate customs and just how good they are however.

Would be nice if somebody could just retip them with a universal tip receptacle .

Oct 17, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #1,043 of 1,217
Hey guys, just ordered a set of these yesterday. I do have to say, so far the CS has been fantastic. Every time I have called they pick up, usually Angie. When I got my impressions made I was able to email pics direct to them to make sure everything was 100% and got an instant response. Overall so far I am very happy with them. I also appreciate the fact they will allow you to pay for expedited service. My impressions will be there Thursday the 17th and I should be getting the IEMs by Wednesday or Thursday of next week.

So far so good! I will report back when I receive them.

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #1,044 of 1,217
  Would be nice if somebody could just retip them with a universal tip receptacle .

It doesn't fit that bad but not as good as when I first got them. I end up using them for the gym but may think about getting them redone in the future since I do like them a lot and they were what made me decide to stick with customs. Also strangely enough it's the only stock cable along with the UE cable (but I haven't had the UERM that long) that hasn't crapped out on me. I take care of my gear too so don't understand it.

Hey guys, just ordered a set of these yesterday. I do have to say, so far the CS has been fantastic. Every time I have called they pick up, usually Angie. When I got my impressions made I was able to email pics direct to them to make sure everything was 100% and got an instant response. Overall so far I am very happy with them. I also appreciate the fact they will allow you to pay for expedited service. My impressions will be there Thursday the 17th and I should be getting the IEMs by Wednesday or Thursday of next week.

So far so good! I will report back when I receive them.

The JH5 is a very good iem and very enjoyable. I hope you like them.

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #1,045 of 1,217
So, I took the plunge and ordered the JH Audio JH5 Pro's on Black Friday.  I had my ear impressions done on Dec 10th and then shipped them out next day air.  They received them on Dec 11th and got the order status email confirmation from JH Audio telling me the impressions were received & the order was processed on Dec 12th.  I also got one color custom art on my JH5 Pro's as well.  So, how long am I looking at in waiting for my JH5 Pro's?  I ordered with FedEx 2nd Day and live in California if that helps.  Also what other updates will I be getting from JH Audio besides the "Impressions Received & Order processed"?

Dec 13, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #1,046 of 1,217
My guess would be a month or longer. When I ordered my jh13 it was a month and that was before the holiday sale so probably longer with the sale and increased amount of orders.

Dec 14, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #1,048 of 1,217
  I ordered my JH5's the day after Thanksgiving 3 years ago and they only took a little over a week to process + shipping.

I can only hope right.  I'm thinking since JH Audio has been getting more and more popular over the years that 1 week turn around times are non existent.  I can dream though.  I'm just really eager to get my JH5's.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #1,049 of 1,217
You should like them a lot.  Perhaps the best $400 I have spent in audio the past 10 years.  They have been real workhorses.  Same cable still.  They have survived hundreds of workout sessions, sweat, cable tugs, etc.   Really a great product.  Not the best sound in the world out there but a very nice sweet spot for most.  Great bass, midrange and plenty of detail.  Really any music sounds good with them.  They are truly the poorman's JH16's.  Very similar sound sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back