JH Audio JH5pro thread
Jul 5, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #1,006 of 1,217
Very nice looking! - Elegant simplicity. 

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #1,007 of 1,217
Quote:
Here they are! Arrived about a week ago. I'm loving them, they're by far the best headphones I've ever listened to. I've been using them with my Fiio E17 and Clip+ with FLAC audio. I'm not very good at describing audio nuances and the only issue I was having was this fuzzy sound, I think it was in the highs, not mids or lows. The only way I could describe it was "blown out," like the way a photo is overexposed and the image is said to have been blown out. I found that I was able to correct this though when I changed the gain to 0 and increased the volume a bit. Anyone else experience this? 

+1. Great color.

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #1,008 of 1,217
I have also experienced this at lower volumes. It seems like it is the high mids, and i have also thought it sounded like a bit of a blown speaker sound.

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #1,009 of 1,217
anyone have any impressions of jh5 vs the jh16? I have compared the two for a couple of weeks and am suprised at how well the jh5 compares to the 16s. Some short comparisons i have noticed are that the jh5 has a little more harsh highs, jh16 has more satisfying mids, and the largest difference is the bass quality of the jh16 is superiour to the jh5, although they share the same tone. The jh16 absolutely pounds, and never distorts. The jh5 bass has the same tone and feel, but is a less "full" sound. Could be like comparing 1 10" subwoofer in a car vs 2 12" subs of the same sound signature and quality. I have a BTG audio starlight cable, and with that and my fiio e12 amp I would say that audio quality of the jh5 goes from 80% of the sound quality of the stock jh16 to 90%, just barely lacking in mids, clarity, but mostly bass ability. Jh5's definately dont lack bass, but its definately not "always on" like the jh16. I am also getting some Dream Earz AUD-7X reshelled and will offer some comparisons of those vs the jh5 when i receive those in 2-3 weeks.

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #1,010 of 1,217
Nice comparison. I've read previously that the JH5 is basically a poor man's JH16, and your impressions seem somewhat consistent.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #1,011 of 1,217
Quote:
anyone have any impressions of jh5 vs the jh16? I have compared the two for a couple of weeks and am suprised at how well the jh5 compares to the 16s. Some short comparisons i have noticed are that the jh5 has a little more harsh highs, jh16 has more satisfying mids, and the largest difference is the bass quality of the jh16 is superiour to the jh5, although they share the same tone. The jh16 absolutely pounds, and never distorts. The jh5 bass has the same tone and feel, but is a less "full" sound. Could be like comparing 1 10" subwoofer in a car vs 2 12" subs of the same sound signature and quality. I have a BTG audio starlight cable, and with that and my fiio e12 amp I would say that audio quality of the jh5 goes from 80% of the sound quality of the stock jh16 to 90%, just barely lacking in mids, clarity, but mostly bass ability. Jh5's definately dont lack bass, but its definately not "always on" like the jh16. I am also getting some Dream Earz AUD-7X reshelled and will offer some comparisons of those vs the jh5 when i receive those in 2-3 weeks.

Well, the JH16 bass is really boosted to a high level compared to the JH5. The JH16 is a great phone, but the bass is to much for my taste. JH5 and JH13's bass suits me much better.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #1,012 of 1,217
I owned both at the same time and was the one saying the JH5 is a poor man's JH16.  They have basically the same type of sound but JH16 extends a bit more on top and bottom and is more holographic sounding due to many more drivers.  That's really about it.  But with JH5 at $400 and JH16 at 3X the cost it does not sound 3X better.  More like a $600 IEM versus $400 but that's sort of the way it goes as we go up the ladder.

JH13 was the one that was really unique.  Insane speed, detail and clarity....off the charts.  But I personally prefer a tad more mid-bass as it lacks in this area making the sub bass stand out a bit too much alone to my ears.

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #1,013 of 1,217
I thought that the jh5's actually had brighter highs, but the jh16's offered more clarity. The overall impression I got was that the jh16 smoothed out the rough edges of the jh5. Where the jh5 treble could seem too harsh if not eq'd, the jh16 was more smooth. I think that this same quality also made the jh5's a more fun and musical sound, just slightly, to my taste. This observation also depended on the music, regarding electronic, hip hop, and other bass heavy music the jh16 bass stole the show and i think is unrivaled, but i honestly prefered my jh5's in most other genres. I hope it doesnt sound like I am bashing the jh16, because the jh16 is in all areas more technically capable. I think my biggest point to make is how unimpressed I was with the jh16's given my expectations and price vs. perfromance.

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #1,014 of 1,217
Quote:
I have also experienced this at lower volumes. It seems like it is the high mids, and i have also thought it sounded like a bit of a blown speaker sound.

Just an update: I sent them away to JH Audio and asked them to take a look at the right side and see if there is a driver loose or something. I got them back yesterday after about 2 and a half weeks and the rattle is gone! I'm not sure what they did because in true JH Audio fashion, there was very little communication, none actually. I just tracked the package to make sure it arrived and then one day got an email with a tracking number when they were being returned. I expected it to take a couple weeks and truthfully I didn't send an email to check the progress or anything anyway, I knew they were very backed up with repairs and I didn't think that rushing would really help the situation.

Instead I purchased a pair of Westone W4r's for my time away from the JH 5's (everyone was right about my wallet.....). The problem is I really love the Westones, I got used to the sound signature and I find them fun to listen to. I'm listening to the JH 5's again now trying to get reacquainted so to speak. I love the fit of the JH 5s but I really enjoy the Westone sound signature. 

Steve

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #1,015 of 1,217
Quote:
I thought that the jh5's actually had brighter highs, but the jh16's offered more clarity. The overall impression I got was that the jh16 smoothed out the rough edges of the jh5. Where the jh5 treble could seem too harsh if not eq'd, the jh16 was more smooth. I think that this same quality also made the jh5's a more fun and musical sound, just slightly, to my taste. This observation also depended on the music, regarding electronic, hip hop, and other bass heavy music the jh16 bass stole the show and i think is unrivaled, but i honestly prefered my jh5's in most other genres. I hope it doesnt sound like I am bashing the jh16, because the jh16 is in all areas more technically capable. I think my biggest point to make is how unimpressed I was with the jh16's given my expectations and price vs. perfromance.

No, I think I know what you mean.  Don't get me wrong I would take JH16 over JH5 any day but dollar for dollar I am more impressed the sound you get with 2 drivers and JH5 as with 8 drivers in JH16.  Most wouldn't expect 2 drivers to sound so good but it easily keeps up with the W4 and UE900 quad drivers.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #1,016 of 1,217
Just an update: I sent them away to JH Audio and asked them to take a look at the right side and see if there is a driver loose or something. I got them back yesterday after about 2 and a half weeks and the rattle is gone! I'm not sure what they did because in true JH Audio fashion, there was very little communication, none actually. I just tracked the package to make sure it arrived and then one day got an email with a tracking number when they were being returned. I expected it to take a couple weeks and truthfully I didn't send an email to check the progress or anything anyway, I knew they were very backed up with repairs and I didn't think that rushing would really help the situation.

Instead I purchased a pair of Westone W4r's for my time away from the JH 5's (everyone was right about my wallet.....). The problem is I really love the Westones, I got used to the sound signature and I find them fun to listen to. I'm listening to the JH 5's again now trying to get reacquainted so to speak. I love the fit of the JH 5s but I really enjoy the Westone sound signature. 

Steve

You are so screwed, never ever buy a pair of "in the meantime" headphones! It never works out that way!

:-D

Enjoy your Westones!

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #1,017 of 1,217
You are so screwed, never ever buy a pair of "in the meantime" headphones! It never works out that way!

:-D

Enjoy your Westones!

Sad but true... this website has singlehandedly ruined my fiscal frugality. Sometimes I just listen to my headphones and cry...

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #1,018 of 1,217

Steve

Were your jh5's still under the refit timeframe? what do you like more about your westones?

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #1,019 of 1,217
Quote:

Sad but true... this website has singlehandedly ruined my fiscal frugality. Sometimes I just listen to my headphones and cry...

HAHA tears of joy!......or not 

Quote:

Were your jh5's still under the refit timeframe? what do you like more about your westones?

Yes the JH5's were still in the refit timeframe. I started noticing the problem immediately but it took me about a week and a half before I sent them out. I'm not sure what it is, I'm not very good at describing the sound signatures of headphones. One thing is that I think I enjoy the music more with the Westones. I've heard people say that the Westones are neutral and because of that the phones wouldn't get your feet tapping and make you really get into the music. I think it is the opposite though. I'm finding now the JH5's are the much more neutral of the two and I'm enjoying listening to my playlist with them more I think. I need to try and A/B them to see if I can pinpoint areas that I like and dislike. At least I have two great pairs of phones though! =)

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #1,020 of 1,217
Quote:
HAHA tears of joy!......or not 

Yes the JH5's were still in the refit timeframe. I started noticing the problem immediately but it took me about a week and a half before I sent them out. I'm not sure what it is, I'm not very good at describing the sound signatures of headphones. One thing is that I think I enjoy the music more with the Westones. I've heard people say that the Westones are neutral and because of that the phones wouldn't get your feet tapping and make you really get into the music. I think it is the opposite though. I'm finding now the JH5's are the much more neutral of the two and I'm enjoying listening to my playlist with them more I think. I need to try and A/B them to see if I can pinpoint areas that I like and dislike. At least I have two great pairs of phones though! =)

People are probably referring to the Westone universal monitors (UM Series) and the Elite series custom IEM's when they say they are neutral sounding.  I do not see how anyone could possible call the Personal Listening series (Westone 1,2,3,4) neutral.  

However, I definitely have had a similar experience with the Westone 3 vs my JH5.  I like having a nice pair of universal IEM's because of how easy it is to pop them in and out in some situations, and also just to experience a different sound signature.  My Westone 3 is just as fun to listen to as my JH5, and I quite enjoy the larger soundstage.  The JH5 seem to magnify the sound more though and bring everything much closer to you, definitely a monitor sound signature.  However, EQ my JH5 with my J3 so that they sound just as fun as the Westone, but without the large headstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back