JH Audio JH5pro thread
May 30, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #781 of 1,217
Hi guys,

Would customs be ok for someone who is still in high school and therefore possibly still growing a little, or would I be better off with a universal?  Is there a certain age where the shape and size of your ears stop changing?  

I've also seen customs for sale here, is there a place that you can get them remolded if you aren't the original purchaser?

Thanks

May 30, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #783 of 1,217

Quote:
Freshman...probably not, you will grow more.  Senior...you are probably okay.

What if he's a 20 year old freshman?

Jun 16, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #785 of 1,217
Started a new thread for those who would like to contribute their JHA experiences.  All opinions welcome.  I think it would be beneficial to both JHA and potential customers.  Might also help remove some clutter.

Jun 16, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #786 of 1,217
In the end I decided to send mine back for a refit of the left monitor. The bass was slightly weaker and I had to adjust that phone every now and then to keep the seal. The audiologist I used offered free remolds so I decided to go ahead and get one, even if JH Audio weren't sure they would need one. Hopefully I'll have them back in two weeks or so from now; I'm already missing them even though I only had them for little over a week before sending them back.

Jun 20, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #787 of 1,217
Can anyone compare the passive isolation of these IEMs to ear plugs with a similar rating (~26dB)?

I ride a motorcycle with plugs rated at 32dB reduction, and my Sennheiser CX500s just don't offer anything close to that. I'm hoping a set of custom IEM will take the edge off my exhaust while enabling me to listen to music at significantly lower levels.

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #788 of 1,217
A full acrylic shell can't exceed -26dB or so.  You want something w/ vinyl tips like Westone or 1964 (optional) or a full silicone shell like ACS or Spiral Ear (preferred for max isolation).

The cheap solution would be some Etys w/ custom silicone tips from ACS.  The universal needs to have the tip molded around the housing to fit under your helmet and the Ety/ACS system is the only one I know that does that.

Jun 20, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #789 of 1,217
The problem w/ sleeves is they don't stop resonance and transmission from the housing and don't fill the ear as completely as a custom.  But yes, silicone seem to attenuate better by about -6 dB or more over acrylic typically.  Hollow acrylic, I know Earsonics is solid acrylic.  Not sure about that. 

Jun 21, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #790 of 1,217
Maybe I should post this on the new appreciation thread Anaxilus started... but after months of waiting/deciding I finally ordered my set of JH5s.   They are set to arrive this Thursday and I'm extremely excited.  I've experienced great customer service throughout.  Approx 2 weeks from receiving the impressions and I'll have them.  Some extra time might've come from the artwork.   I've attached the mockup they did (free of charge) for my approval.  Can't wait! Will post pic of IEMs/initial impressions when I receive them.

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #791 of 1,217
I've never wore a motorcycle helmet, but a colleague of mine rides with Ety ER6i's with Comply tips and it works well for him.

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #793 of 1,217
JH5s rec'd!  Seem to have received next day UPS without paying extra for it. $$$

Sound is AWESOME, though I admit I am no professional.  Sometimes the bass seems somewhat lacking unless I push them against my head.  They fit in the ears well, but I'm wondering if they are a tad too small in the right ear (and thus the bass issues).  Should they be snug (as in tight fitting), or is the fact that they fit fully into my ear canal enough?

Perhaps I'm too used to the rubber suction feeling I got from my old Shure e3s rubber tips....

Jun 26, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #794 of 1,217

Quote:
JH5s rec'd!  Seem to have received next day UPS without paying extra for it. $$$

Sound is AWESOME, though I admit I am no professional.  Sometimes the bass seems somewhat lacking unless I push them against my head.  They fit in the ears well, but I'm wondering if they are a tad too small in the right ear (and thus the bass issues).  Should they be snug (as in tight fitting), or is the fact that they fit fully into my ear canal enough?

Perhaps I'm too used to the rubber suction feeling I got from my old Shure e3s rubber tips....

First, will be nice to know if you are wering it right. Like this video http://youtu.be/JQ59keE-GxM?t=1m23s
After you can clap your fingers to see if you have a good seal in both ears.
And you can use this Sensaphonics test :  http://www.sensaphonics.com/?page_id=833

Rodrigo

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #795 of 1,217
Tyvm for the replies!  And thank you for the audio seal test.  Unfortunately, in both ears the 500hz tone is considerably louder than the lower tone even when it seems like an ear has a decent seal.  Though it is interesting, when I play "heartless" by Kanye West on FLAC the bass seems pretty full (could be that is is overexaggerated in the song though).  I will try oto-ease and if no better luck, JH Audio said they'd be happy to refit.  I had my impressions done at a reputable audiologist in Tampa but perhaps, to your point, she simply didn't go deep enough.

Thanks!

Christopher

Users who are viewing this thread

Back