JH Audio JH5pro thread
Jan 17, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #752 of 1,217
Wow, their FB does. Thanks for the heads up on that. Didn't find any SRV Teal pictures though. Here is black eye blue.

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #753 of 1,217
I sent them back to the shop for a refitting, and now they fit great. Only on the biggest of grins do they unseal, but meh, I can definitely live with that.

Probably the only thing I can think annoying isn't really the headphone's fault, well one of them is kind of the result of the headphone. I'm using a sony player, and there is quite a bit of hiss... gets kind of annoying (anyone out there know/recommend a portable player that has little hiss? How's the J3 and clip+ do in this department?). Other problem is the earwax problem.

It's like, the headphones WANT you to wear them, because if you don't, the earwax will build up again, and the next time you put the headphones in.... blech (that's what happened to me -- jh5's in the shop = not wearing them, and when I get them back, I thought ahead to clean out my ear a bit...). So pretty much, get them, and wear them, otherwise 1) you'll miss the sound, and 2) have fun cleaning the build-up of earwax. :D

Hope that helps.

-Swilly

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #754 of 1,217
Hello JH5 owners, I have a a quick question that I am hoping you may be able to answer.

The one thing that has always sort of "bugged" me about IEM's, is the in-head soundstage.  When I listen to my D2000's, and when I had HD600's, the out of ear acoustics make a WORLD of difference to me.  The realism and head stage is absolutely on another level than IEM's.  I do not expect the JH5 to be so good that they will sound like headphones, in fact I expect them to excel more in revealing small details.  

I would really like to know how people would describe the sound stage compared to full size cans.  If I already like full size cans so much more than IEMs, I can't really seem to justify spending twice as much on a pair of customs than my current universals.  

Do most of you use your JH5's as your primary listening equipment, or do you use them just for portable use when you are away from your full-size headphones?  How do they compare?

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #755 of 1,217
I find the JH5 to have a fairly compact soundstage.  It is quite upfront and in your face and everything sounds quite close to you so, yes, I see your concern and it takes some getting use to.   Having said that, I think it is done quite well and there seems to be proper space between instruments around the whole sound.

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #756 of 1,217

Quote:
I find the JH5 to have a fairly compact soundstage.  It is quite upfront and in your face and everything sounds quite close to you so, yes, I see your concern and it takes some getting use to.   Having said that, I think it is done quite well and there seems to be proper space between instruments around the whole sound.

Have to agree with Spyro here, the JH5 soundstage is very intimate and makes the music feel like a "personal" performance. The sound isn't that "out of your head" if that is what your going for. That said however, the soundstage is spread out enough that you can still detect the location of specific instruments and vocals and get a nice sense of positioning for these things. If a large soundstage is really a big factor for you though, the JH5's might not be your best choice.

Feb 13, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #758 of 1,217
Quote:
Any IEM, no matter the "soundstage" is, provides a in-head sound. It's just in their nature.

I definitely agree with this, however, some seem more directional than others.  I am wondering if I would actually be quite pleased with the JH5 based on the fact that their presentation is very up front and intimate.  

Does the fact that everything sounds so close to you make everything seem "bigger" ??  One thing that I love about the IE8, is that their sound is so BIG.   It's as if everything is magnified 2x compared to all other IEM's, approaching the size of full size cans, but not quite.  

After thinking a bit, I am realizing that a huge sound stage isn't what I'm after, but rather a huge SOUND.  If everything sounds very close and big, the JH5 may actually make me quite happy.

Feb 13, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #759 of 1,217
I disagree.  I do not know how they do it but you can create a huge soundstage in an IEM.  If you can distinguish a characteristic of "sitting in the studio with the band" (ER4P) versus "sitting 15 rows back" (W3) it is relevant.

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #760 of 1,217
I use the JH5's as my main headphones, as my only headphones infact.

I used to have the DT880 + WA6 setup, which I sold since I needed portability. (College)

The JH5's have great sound stage for IEM's, within its price range. It's not as big as the DT880 or the Audio Technica one's I had earlier, (AD700/AD900) or even the K701, but for IEM's, it's really really good. You can easily differentiate the position of the instruments, and while gaming I can easily make out left/right etc.

I'm saving up for the JH16/ES5/Miracle, which should have a bigger sound stage. Some have even compared the JH13 sound stage to the HD800. :O

Feb 14, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #761 of 1,217
Hey boys I'm back after a hiatus from this site for I don't know how long (nor what for!).
I didn't have to get a refit... upon playing drums to a cd with these on I used the high hat as a great seal indicator and realized when twisting the IEM's all the way back to insert, after that my left one needs to be tilted slightly forward (as if you're taking it out, but very little) and my seal is perfect. Learn something new every day.

Feb 18, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #762 of 1,217
Does anyone listen to classical music with the JH5?  I assume that their isolation makes classical sound significantly better than with universals, but I am curious how their sound signature presents it.  

Mar 8, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #763 of 1,217
Can anyone compare these to some top universals with regard to listening to say trance techno or other hard hitting EDM? Wondering how these customs stack up to certain universals IE Turbine Golds that sort of thing. 

Would love any feedback on JH-5's with regard to trance really. Thank you. 

Mar 9, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #764 of 1,217

Quote:
Does anyone listen to classical music with the JH5?  I assume that their isolation makes classical sound significantly better than with universals, but I am curious how their sound signature presents it.  

No, I don't think that would be a good match.  The JH5 is quite aggressive and robust sounding.  Good clarity but not necessarily great detail.   Soundstage is somewhat small.  JH13 a much better choice if you can afford it.

Mar 9, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #765 of 1,217

Quote:
No, I don't think that would be a good match.  The JH5 is quite aggressive and robust sounding.  Good clarity but not necessarily great detail.   Soundstage is somewhat small.  JH13 a much better choice if you can afford it.

Interesting.  What other phones would you equate the JH5s detail retrieval to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back