JH Audio JH5pro thread
Dec 8, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #706 of 1,217

Quote:
What about them causes them to hiss? Is the internal amp too weak, and causing this issue?

And also to answer your question further Riceball, Gregor and Solid Snake3 have mentioned a bit earlier in this thread that the JH5's sound fantastic amped or unamped.

Edit: Holy crud, I had no idea this hissing would be so maddening, especially on those quiet classical pieces...

I'm not sure what causes them to hiss. Part of it is probably that the JH5 are pretty sensitive.

Quote:
On the hiss issue, I get a tiny bit of hiss out of my Ipod Classic 7th gen however it is minimal enough that it is a non-issue when listening to music. My Clip+ is as close to dead silent as I have found in a portable. The JH5's are quite sensitive in that I get incredible amounts of hiss out of my laptops headphone out. Before with my CK10's and Eterna's the hiss was bad but not crazy. I plan on getting a DAC sometime soon anyhow although I really don't use my laptop as a source much.

I have confirmed that my left ear impression could use a bit tighter seal. It's not bad but it seems like just a millimeter thicker would be awesome. I can get a perfect seal on the left ear if I push the bottom part of the custom in a bit farther although it loosens up if I move/walk around too much. The right one is absolutely perfect though. The left ear was actually molded first and I think I waited a few seconds to open my mouth while with the right it was already open. 

Might try the nail polish thing on the left as I don't know if the millimeter or so is worth sending it all the way to JH the more I think about it.

You could do that but at your own risk. Any modification such as this will void your warranty with JH5 in case anything happens. I did the nail polish thing with my left ear after a couple of months due to laziness and to figure out exactly where the issue was.

If you do the nail polish something to save a couple bucks could be to use Hard as Nails by Sally Hansen. I was at a local CVS(drug and pharmacy store) and it was only $3 while the nail polish was around $5 more expensive. It's basically a clear nail polish but if you want to remove it you might need a different product. Just do it one layer at a time and not too much for one layer. I waited around 20-30 minutes to dry just to be sure although it probably takes only a few minutes. The fit on my customs is much better now and the left ear doesn't lose seal as easily. I still have to apply another layer or so to make it as good as my right.

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #707 of 1,217

Quote:
@ Swilly
Yea, hissing is the probably the 2nd worst thing when listening to music, 1st being crap quality files

@ Superfrag
Damn, that's super lucky, how do you like them?

Love them! I tried the JH13/JH16 at CanJam, but I didn't have the dough. Safe to say, the JH5's are keeping the money inside my wallet safe for a good amount of time.. :p

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #708 of 1,217
Swilly, and RIceball, its true the amping wasn't a huge factor, but I didn't spend a ton of time A/B-ing with the amp/no-amp, due to the immediate fit issues. When I used them with my 2move (no DAC, on low gain) I heard absolutely no hiss, which is to be lauded, but the things are so darn sensitive, I could only turn the volume pot like 1/2349687234th of a turn. I exaggerate of course, but you get the idea. Out of my iphone I could only have 3 of 16 bars of volume.

When I get them back I am thinking of playing with an impedance enhancer (similar to a er4p > er4s adaptor) and seeing how that changes things with an amp.

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #709 of 1,217
I just finished a recording to send as part of my college application. Direct feed from the sound board at my church (recorded the band practicing) but I switched the mix because if you take a straight board mix it will have many flaws and I just imported into iTunes using Losless, my JH 5's will be here soon and that will for sure be my first listen. The quality is incredible and I think I'll be getting into the college for sure because of it :)

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #710 of 1,217
Gosh overnight shipping is fast. I'm looking at the tracking record and roughly every hour there's an update.

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #711 of 1,217

Quote:
I just finished a recording to send as part of my college application. Direct feed from the sound board at my church (recorded the band practicing) but I switched the mix because if you take a straight board mix it will have many flaws and I just imported into iTunes using Losless, my JH 5's will be here soon and that will for sure be my first listen. The quality is incredible and I think I'll be getting into the college for sure because of it :)

If I was reading a college application and the applicant mentioned using JH5's for monitoring while making his own recordings, I'd be like BOOM SCHOLARSHIP TIME

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #712 of 1,217
ahahah^^^

Well ladies and gentleman I give you.... my JH 5's

first thing to say is DEAD ON, PERFECT FIT. I can open my mouth SO wide and these things refuse to break seal.

secondly: as others have said it's not like a totally blown away situation at first, you have to just keep listening... it's almost like when I bought my HDTV. You look at the quality and you're like "right on, right on" but by the 2nd day of you owning the new tv you're like used to it.... but what you need to do is go look at your old t.v. now that you've got the new one, that's where you go "what.... I was watching [listening] to that?!?!) I'm no audiophile so all I can say is the sound is great, very neutral yet it can still "bump". I went to the THX certified subwoofer test on youtube and it sweeps through some low frequencies and at first I couldn't hear anything... then all of the sudden I realized at first you won't HEAR it. you'll feel it. I swear on my own grave that I could feel my body vibrating then as the frequencies swept some more there was more of an "audible" part to it then just feel. Anyways, I'm happy!

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #713 of 1,217
Glad you got a perfect fit right off the bat, the customs look great by the way.

I just shipped mine out today for a refit on the left ear, hoping to get just a millimeter or two thicker for a tighter seal on that one. They should arrive at the lab Tuesday, really hoping I get them back at my place by the 23rd for when I go home. After that I will be road tripping to California so I really want them for that ride. 30+ hrs means music is a must 
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #714 of 1,217
Ya I'm really blessed to have them fit so good off the bat. And these things really do push out what you put in, listening to losless files does make a difference, not huge from what I've heard so far but I'm using a iPod without an amp so that's why.

Since I put the bite block in differently then I've seen in EVERY video and I've got a perfect fit I'll show the way I put it in so others can try because it might be a reason why I got such a good fit.

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #715 of 1,217

Quote:
Ya I'm really blessed to have them fit so good off the bat. And these things really do push out what you put in, listening to losless files does make a difference, not huge from what I've heard so far but I'm using a iPod without an amp so that's why.

Since I put the bite block in differently then I've seen in EVERY video and I've got a perfect fit I'll show the way I put it in so others can try because it might be a reason why I got such a good fit.

My audiologist had me bite the same way (on the red marked area) and he's done a lot of impressions for custom monitors.

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #716 of 1,217
Nice! Seems to be the way to go because it does make a difference in your ears quite a lot (.75 inches vs 1 full inch)

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #718 of 1,217

Quote:
What does the bite have to do with anything (keeping mouth open) ?.....assuming you listen with your mouth closed?

The orientation of the mandible and the temporomandibular joint effect the shape of the ear canal. Specifically, the top of the mandible moves away from the ear canal when the mouth is open. You can test this for yourself by sticking a finger as far as you can into your ear. Ready? Okay, now open your mouth. You can feel the top of the bone move away from the ear canal and the ear canal widen. There's more space there now! Think what that means in terms of making an earmold and in terms of having a custom monitor that keeps a seal when you talk or chew or relax your jaw or turn your head, etc.

So, having the mouth open and held steady is important in having a good fit. Now, if the mouth is too open when the ear impression is made, then maybe that makes a difference as well. My audiologist had me do it a certain way and he commented that having the bite block correct was important in making sure I had an excellent fitting set of customs.

Dec 11, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #719 of 1,217
Ya^^^ I think honestly me and you have it the right way (and anyone else who did it that way...) because if you try it the other way it's not as comfortable for your mouth to fit in the grooves... the bottom yellow groove is like bigger and weird... idk

Dec 11, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #720 of 1,217
I didn't think at first these JH 5's would satisfy a bass head but it's all up the engineer. I can listen to my favorite band "Killswitch Engage" and the kick drum and bass guitar aren't as deep as I'd like (slightly weak) but then I listen to another song by a different band (same genre almost) and the song thumps way more. But you compare those two songs with a home stereo and there would be very little difference. The engineer for the one band just knew that he had to make it sound best where the other was probably like "kids are just going to use their iPod buds for this I don't need to include 50 Hz on the kick drum" you know? If the track is engineered well it will come out realistically with these JH 5's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back