JH Audio JH5pro thread
Aug 28, 2009 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,217

BBY03evo

100+ Head-Fier
I just received my JH5pro today. I will post pics later tonight.

First impressions are very good. Very fast sounding , Wow. Airy extended highs. Strong tight bass...
So far they seem amazing for the price point.

The Carbon Fiber case is beautiful. Nice close even weave.
The fit so far seems great, this is my first set of custom IEM's. I'm going to let them break in for a while and try them out later.

Will post back later on.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Updated with pics 9/14/09!!!

img2393i.jpg

img2395q.jpg

Aug 28, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 1,217
I am considering these phones, and already have a pair of Weston Um3X. I want to keep both, since I can afford it, but if anyone who has the JH5s has heard the UM3X, I would really love to hear about the differences in sound sig. Again, I want to keep both for personal reasons, but I see the value of the JH5s after the price drop.

Thanks ahead of time.

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 1,217
I sent them back yesterday because of a slight fit problem in the right ear.
Will post a pic when they return.

To me they seem to have a hump in the bass range for sure, it is tight and punchy (fast) .
Defiantly strong though... Should satisfy bass heads no problem, but the good thing it does not overpower the rest of the music.

The imaging is pretty good. The soundstage is rather small but still nice.

Sep 1, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 1,217
Well, I had decided to move up before I ordered, but then I got into a "wow, $800 for phones" mindset and decided to get some UM56 custom sleeves for my UM3X and leave it at that. I figured the JH5 Pro is not that much better than the Westone, and I just can't spend that cash on phones I use like an hour a day, max.

So it's back to the UM56, which will run me about $150.

Sep 1, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 1,217
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I had decided to move up before I ordered, but then I got into a "wow, $800 for phones" mindset and decided to get some UM56 custom sleeves for my UM3X and leave it at that. I figured the JH5 Pro is not that much better than the Westone, and I just can't spend that cash on phones I use like an hour a day, max.

You could also consider having your UM3X reshelled into customs. That would be 90% of an ES3X, for about the same price as UM56's. It kills the possibility of resale though.

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #10 of 1,217
Quote:

Who does that, just curious.

UM, unique melody from china. its better to do it after the warranty ends as reshelling has no warranty.

I will do it after 1 yr 6 mths.
atsmile.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #12 of 1,217
Quote:

Even with the custom selves, I doubt you can reach the comfort level of a full custom. That is where these things rule. Every universal I have tried bothers me, including the UM2.

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #13 of 1,217
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBY03evo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even with the custom selves, I doubt you can reach the comfort level of a full custom. That is where these things rule. Every universal I have tried bothers me, including the UM2.

yes, a properly-fitting full custom is damn well comfortable, much more so than any universal. particularly, it fits within your ear, rather than fitting part of something that fits within. There are no hard edges, no strange lines - everything is as it should be.

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #14 of 1,217
No doubt, but even so, I am going to give the UM56 a shot. I do like the UM3X, and I can't see selling them off to get the JH5, and don't want to spend $800 or higher on the 10X3 or JH13. Most HFers who got the custom sleeves for the UM3X really like both the fit and the SQ upgrade. There may have been 1-2 who didn't, but the rest did.

I have already had a pair of custom sleeves, made like 4-5 years ago for the old Futuresonics EM3 (a real blast from the past, the precursor to the Atrio M5). In fact, they are sitting right here. But they are useless with the Westones. I really felt the custom sleeves were excellent fit-wise, so I expect the same with the UM56. Hope so, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back