JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Apr 7, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #3,376 of 3,787
Quote:
Hi IA64

Your impression sounds like a Jh16 to me, if you drive on a high output source like iMac. Jh16 IS in "bass-always on" mode. It's not for listening all genres of music. The bass does cover some of the upper mids and upper treble. But jh Audio does create a peak at 8k to balance the overall brightness. I think the best thing to do is to switch to a Jh13, don't go with Jh3a since its not going to make any sound signature change.

Also if you want more clarity and detail you should boost above 11k, not 8k cuz it will more your jh 16 more compressed with very forward instruments.

Here is a eq setting I use (not random, I spend weeks trying to make my jh16 sounds most neutral and accurate to my ears), if you still have them you can try, but you will need a UI or software that can choose exact frequency band and Q values.
200hz -2 db q:1
2000 +3 q:1
3000 +2 q:1
8000 -6 q:1.2
13000 +1 q:1
14000 +2 q:1
15000 +3 q:1
Above 16000 +4 q:1

You can also reduce 1-2 db at 10000 if you think this setting sound a bit bright.

Now it should sound smoother and very detailed with punchy bass. You don't need to do anything to bass now because you already balanced high frequency.

If my description is the sound of JH16's then I wonder how everyone is praising the clarity and accurate bass reproduction. Looks like we have mixed opinions here.

I don't like flat sound but I don't like boomy compressed-congested either.

We are not talking about Dr. Dre beats are we ? 

Apr 7, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #3,377 of 3,787
Quote:

If my description is the sound of JH16's then I wonder how everyone is praising the clarity and accurate bass reproduction. Looks like we have mixed opinions here.

Clarity...maybe if you don't have lots to compared with. Accurate bass reproduction? I have never heard anyone who own jH16 said that.  

And although jH16 isn't neutral, it's still far more superior than beats. 

Also I am confused about the new jH16 because some people find it less bassy and bright and you find it overly warm and boomy. 

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #3,378 of 3,787
Quote:
Clarity...maybe if you don't have lots to compared with. Accurate bass reproduction? I have never heard anyone who own jH16 said that.  

And although jH16 isn't neutral, it's still far more superior than beats. 

Also I am confused about the new jH16 because some people find it less bassy and bright and you find it overly warm and boomy. 

You can trust me on this one. The bass is over powered. Way over powered. I never used a universal IEM without boosting the bass in the 30-50 Hz. That's the first IEM I ever heard that needs an EQ to calm it down.

If the issue isn't with the fit, then the JH16's is only targeting bass obsessed consumers. It is certainly not for classical, opera, jazz, blues  whatsoever music.

I even listen to FLAC dubstep almost 50% of my time, I fired a track at moderate volume ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWbaHcILGJ8 )  and the bass almost perforated my eardrums. You cannot enjoy music at high volume because the bass is painful.

If you check the reviews here http://www.head-fi.org/products/jh-audio-jh16-pro-custom-in-ear-monitors  people seem to agree that the bass is controlled and the clarity is superb. 

Also Jude review and experience is totally different than mine : http://www.head-fi.org/t/479434/jh-audio-jh16-pro-first-impressions#post_6504459 

I am also concerned about the source. Would an external DAC/AMP control the bass and  improve the signature better than an iMac ? I read that JH16's don't need amp due to high sensitivity and low impedance.

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #3,379 of 3,787
You can trust me on this one. The bass is over powered. Way over powered. I never used a universal IEM without boosting the bass in the 30-50 Hz. That's the first IEM I ever heard that needs an EQ to calm it down.

If the issue isn't with the fit, then the JH16's is only targeting bass obsessed consumers. It is certainly not for classical, opera, jazz, blues  whatsoever music.

I even listen to FLAC dubstep almost 50% of my time, I fired a track at moderate volume ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWbaHcILGJ8 )  and the bass almost perforated my eardrums. You cannot enjoy music at high volume because the bass is painful.

If you check the reviews here http://www.head-fi.org/products/jh-audio-jh16-pro-custom-in-ear-monitors  people seem to agree that the bass is controlled and the clarity is superb. 

Also Jude review and experience is totally different than mine : http://www.head-fi.org/t/479434/jh-audio-jh16-pro-first-impressions#post_6504459 

I am also concerned about the source. Would an external DAC/AMP control the bass and  improve the signature better than an iMac ? I read that JH16's don't need amp due to high sensitivity and low impedance.

Send it back then. Sounds like your mid and high drivers are defective

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #3,380 of 3,787
Quote:

Bass head and accurate don't belong together. For many on headfi, way too much is what's considered the correct amount.

The info is here. I've posted this in what must be almost every JH thread often to be disagreed with so the info is there. I honestly believe that most headfiers would prefer a JH16/Heir 8a/ue18 but I couldn't live with those and I'm not an analytical type. I find that amount of bass pressure off putting but the 16 should never sound muffled on top. I found some of the 'neutral' favs too hot. I like a rising bass below 200hz and reasonably flat on up relative to the common compensation curves. That's what sounds real to me.

In any case, I hope we have different tastes, your 16s get sorted and they work well for you. I doubt they got shipped with defective drivers all around. Likely something else.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #3,381 of 3,787
Quote:
Bass head and accurate don't belong together. For many on headfi, way too much is what's considered the correct amount.

The info is here. I've posted this in what must be almost every JH thread often to be disagreed with so the info is there. I honestly believe that most headfiers would prefer a JH16/Heir 8a/ue18 but I couldn't live with those and I'm not an analytical type. I found some of the 'neutral' favs too hot. I like a rising bass below 200hz and reasonably flat on up relative to the common compensation curves. That's what sounds real to me.

In my opinion the bass and mids should be equally loud ; when I read powerful bass I expect the bass to be well reproduced below 35-40Hz with good extension without distortion.

Like with the Jh16's if you are enjoying Diana Krall singing at high volume, a sudden bass hit will torture your eardrums.

For anyone reading this thread, that's only my experience and does not necessarily represent the true sound signature of the JH16's.

Could be my ear canal shape to blame. 

I still need someone to confirm that iMac as source with Flac is enough to pump all the juice out of these IEMs

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #3,382 of 3,787
You're describing the 13. 

I'm sorry but you read the reviews that all say it's bass enhanced even when they like it that way and expected flat sounding bass response? Did you watch the vid? JH has been clear about it's design goal and how the bass is enhanced to reach it

Imac headphone out has a 64 ohm output impedance and that gives it a very low damping factor for your 16 ohm IEMs. http://support.apple.com/kb/TA26045?viewlocale=en_US
Depending on device, it can make it either bass shy or just very uncontrolled and boomy. It certainly shouldn't be great. It's not a power thing as it has plenty at 1V with a good PS behind it. I hope it's not the only thing you tried before shipping them back.

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #3,383 of 3,787
Quote:
You're describing the 13. 

I'm sorry but you read the reviews that all say it's bass enhanced even when they like it that way and expected flat sounding bass response? Did you watch the vid? JH has been clear about it's design goal and how the bass is enhanced to reach it

Imac headphone out has a 64 ohm output impedance and that gives it a very low damping factor for your 16 ohm IEMs. http://support.apple.com/kb/TA26045?viewlocale=en_US
Depending on device, it can make it either bass shy or just very uncontrolled and boomy. It certainly shouldn't be great. It's not a power thing as it has plenty at 1V with a good PS behind it. I hope it's not the only thing you tried before shipping them back.

Not really, I read this http://www.head-fi.org/t/485170/review-clash-of-the-titans-3d-jh16-pro-vs-jh13-pro  which is despite being old ( pre-freqphase ) put the 16's above the 13's in almost every category. 

I have been told on some thread on head-fi that I shouldn't need an amp since my IEMs have low impedance and iMac has plenty to give. I have ordered a desktop DAC/AMP days ago, still waiting for shipping.

That was not the main reason for sending them back, I'd rather not talk about it... 

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #3,384 of 3,787
My first custom IEM was a JH AUDIO JH16 PRO, and to my ears the sibilance was so bad that I could not use it without getting upset...... So I sent it back to JH AUDIO a couple of times and they could not fix it. Now I have the 13s and for me they sound much much better, great sound. They still show up some sibilance, but just when it belongs to the song. When I want to relax and don't  worry to much about sibilance I use the JH5 PRO.

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #3,386 of 3,787
30working days + giving the shipping time another 2 weeks
so I would say roughly 8weeks +-2 weeks

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #3,387 of 3,787
Quote:
My first custom IEM was a JH AUDIO JH16 PRO, and to my ears the sibilance was so bad that I could not use it without getting upset...... So I sent it back to JH AUDIO a couple of times and they could not fix it. Now I have the 13s and for me they sound much much better, great sound. They still show up some sibilance, but just when it belongs to the song. When I want to relax and don't  worry to much about sibilance I use the JH5 PRO.

How is the bass compared ? 

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #3,388 of 3,787
Quote:

How is the bass compared ? 

Mine are prone to sibilance and extreme brightness too but the bass is not affected. The bass is weighty with plenty of slam and deep low bass rumbling...some may say a little bit too much...but I quite like it with the right sort of music. However at no time does the bass overpower or bleed over the mids and it is definitely not boomy....it is deep but tight and controlled.

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #3,389 of 3,787
Quote:
Mine are prone to sibilance and extreme brightness too but the bass is not affected. The bass is weighty with plenty of slam and deep low bass rumbling...some may say a little bit too much...but I quite like it with the right sort of music. However at no time does the bass overpower or bleed over the mids and it is definitely not boomy....it is deep but tight and controlled.

You are talking about the Jh16's not 13 right ?  I really hope so.

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #3,390 of 3,787
Quote:

And the new 13FPs are even smoother yet with better treble tuning, extra bore. Sibilance or extension is a non issue for me. Though it won't hide a bad source, it works great for me even with what have been described as hotter sources like my HiSound Anv 3. I never get the sense of too analytical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back