JH Audio JH-3A
Sep 7, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #961 of 2,681
^^1/4 year delay?  Refund? I thought it was Summer until Sept 20 or so.......what delay.  I was waiting until the end of Sept or early Oct to start hearing impressions at the earliest.  

1/4 of a year delay would make them shipping mid December,  is that the latest?

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #962 of 2,681
I'm sure they'll make their public update soon enough.. I'm leaning towards cutting them some slack... I know from experience that something as simple as updating a website or making a short public announcement in a company like this can very easily take longer than it should, due to red tape, approval processes, etc...i wouldnt be suprised if it takes a few days or even a week or two before we hear anything.  i have emailed them, and have been calling all day and havent gotten through yet...  until i see an official announcement, or get ahold of them myself im not going to jump to any conclusions, no matter what i hear here.   For all we know their entire staff could be completely tied up trying to get this product out asap. 

BTW... FWIW.. summer in the US officially ends sep. 22nd  .. so they have 15 days until they are officially obligated/expected to make a public statement of any kind.

you have to remember... many of the head-fiers and canjammers are sort of like insiders.. they get info the general public does not.  I mean if a joe schmo like me goes to their website all i see is.. new product.. looks neat.. due for release by end of summer...   If i wasnt on head-fi  that would be the end of it.

Sep 7, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #963 of 2,681

Quote:
I'm sure they'll make their public update soon enough.. I'm leaning towards cutting them some slack... I know from experience that something as simple as updating a website or making a short public announcement in a company like this can very easily take longer than it should, due to red tape, approval processes, etc...i wouldnt be suprised if it takes a few days or even a week or two before we hear anything.  i have emailed them, and have been calling all day and havent gotten through yet...  until i see an official announcement, or get ahold of them myself im not going to jump to any conclusions, no matter what i hear here.   For all we know their entire staff could be completely tied up trying to get this product out asap. 

BTW... FWIW.. summer in the US officially ends sep. 22nd  .. so they have 15 days until they are officially obligated/expected to make a public statement of any kind.

you have to remember... many of the head-fiers and canjammers are sort of like insiders.. they get info the general public does not.  I mean if a joe schmo like me goes to their website all i see is.. new product.. looks neat.. due for release by end of summer...   If i wasnt on head-fi  that would be the end of it.

That's right, September 22nd.  My guess is we will see shipments out by then...

OMG:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/505376/jh3a-how-will-you-feed-it/45#post_6910166

What?  3 months?  This would be really bad.

Sep 7, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #964 of 2,681
in case it wasnt clear, someone in another jh3a thread said they spoke to JH today and were told the JH3A is delayed for 3 months... we havent gotten any other confirmation as of yet..

Sep 7, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #965 of 2,681

Quote:
in case it wasnt clear, someone in another jh3a thread said they spoke to JH today and were told the JH3A is delayed for 3 months... we havent gotten any other confirmation as of yet..

Yeah just saw...3 months!    That is quite a setup back to say the least.  I think minimally they offer some of the pre-order folks either a chance to back out or some kind of discount.

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #967 of 2,681

Quote:
Yeah just saw...3 months!    That is quite a setup back to say the least.  I think minimally they offer some of the pre-order folks either a chance to back out or some kind of discount.

I do not think that is going to happen. They seem very strict about their no refund policy.

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #968 of 2,681

Quote:
One thing I just don't understand is why 3 months delay for the amp stage...What?  I figure that would be the simpler aspect of the design.

I have speculation this is related to the loss of the individual leading the development of the amp/dsp section.  I also would not be surprised if a certain larger competitor was able to wave a large wad of cash in front of said individual.  I'm sure money and personal compensation are somehow large factors in play here.  This is just speculation from the water cooler or checkout line.  This recent major schedule pushback confirms my gut feeling about what has been going on over there.  I would be shocked if there wasn't some major competitive leverage play at work on the introduction of a unique technology that could be a game changer.  I expect to see a competitor by the end of the year if not end of next spring.  I hope for everyone's sake its just fine tuning for 3 months.  As the pieces of the puzzle begin to align my gut paints a different picture. 

Edit - Worst case scenario, lawyers will be called.

Sep 8, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #971 of 2,681
I admire JH Audio. My concerns about the thinness in its ranks, and the associated QC issues that have emerged, was one reason that I chose to go with Westone. (There were others.)

My observations about JH Audio that I believe are being borne out by this current issue are as follows:
- JH Audio's net margins are probably very low. With GSA factored in (especially Jerry and team running around the world marketing), I doubt they are close to being profitable although Jerry and Britany are hopefully supporting themselves. I don't think that claims of profiteering fairly apply. They are bulding a company. I don't agree that it is a big company in any meaningful sense. It has a big profile and ambitious products which is not the same thing.
- No refunds is a straight cashflow necessity in these circumstances. That makes the current situation potentially problematic.
- The JH-3A now presents a conundrum. Either it is nothing special - anyone can do it - upon which they will come through but so will others - and the company that hired away the engineer may well get there first. Alternatively it is something quite special (as in unique and difficult to create), upon which JH Audio are potentially in trouble. They own whatever that engineer had already developed. As far as we know, that is a computer-based program that may not yet be optimised (the good news then being that it can therefore get even better). We don't know however whether it has advanced beyond "concept" as a functional portable unit. If it hasn't, does JH Audio have the expertise to take it there on a reasonable timeline? If not, the term vapourware starts to rear its ugly head.

Summary: If it is true that the JH-3A is something special, the key question is how advanced was the development and shared organisational knowledge when that engineer left. Until we know the answer to that, we have no idea how serious the current situation is. Hopefully it is not serious at all but if I had ordered and paid, I would at least be concerned.

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #972 of 2,681
The amp engineer is the same guy that developed the algorythm solo and helped develop the alo rx amps. I think this is right. But don't quote me on it.

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #974 of 2,681
I just got a e-mail from Jaime saying they are making an announcement today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back