JH Audio JH-3A
Mar 9, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #2,641 of 2,681
Two parts:

Firstly, which will I use more?  The JH-3A or the telephoto?
Second, what do I already have?  Can my existing headphones/IEMs do the trick?  Can my existing zooms handle it? 

For me, it'd be the JH-3A even though I already have a JH13.  I don't have a use for telephoto that much and the times I do want to use one I get it from a local rental business.  My 10-20mm and 24-105mm serve as my general purpose lenses but it'll be up to you whether you need that range and how often you use that range.  As far as concerts go it'd depend on what position I would be at.  I'd prefer a prime unless there's no way you can get closer and if you've got clearance to bring a D-SLR with you you probably can get closer. 

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #2,642 of 2,681

Quote:
Two parts:

Firstly, which will I use more?  The JH-3A or the telephoto?
Second, what do I already have?  Can my existing headphones/IEMs do the trick?  Can my existing zooms handle it? 

For me, it'd be the JH-3A even though I already have a JH13.  I don't have a use for telephoto that much and the times I do want to use one I get it from a local rental business.  My 10-20mm and 24-105mm serve as my general purpose lenses but it'll be up to you whether you need that range and how often you use that range.  As far as concerts go it'd depend on what position I would be at.  I'd prefer a prime unless there's no way you can get closer and if you've got clearance to bring a D-SLR with you you probably can get closer. 

The choice for me is that I would rather "listen" to a concert than take pictures and "look" at them. Listening gives me more joy.
Still a tough choice non the less :)

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #2,643 of 2,681
I shoot concerts for a site, as well as freelance for news stations. I sit pretty close to the stage and runways, and I have a clear path to run along, and I also have press pass with me :p I shoot with both wide and superzoom for concerts. And I mainly use ultra-wide and 85mm on a cropped, and a 70-200mm will come in handy.

@ Parrot: I payed for the solo because I did not want to get an iMod for the best signal. I have a Samsung M1, which is HO only. I had the choice between an iMod, and the Solo to get the best SQ from my rig and so I opted for the Solo because I was planning to get an iPad (chose to wait for the iPad 2, and sure enough it came out, very soon at that). Didn't want to get limited by the 5G/5.5G... Needed an internet device with apps and video capabilities.

Yes, I was going to get the ES5 until I ordered the Solo and changed up my rig. I would've payed for the 3A if (before the spdif problem) I had the money, and (after the spdif problem) if I knew for sure it's going to be coaxial. So yeah. I didn't get the solo FOR the 3A. I'm getting the 3A FOR the solo.

As for the days post thing, I guess it all depends on the person's [unique] view.

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #2,644 of 2,681
Can someone please provide me a link to Brittany's post (I don't know her username unless it's "Brittany").

I really feel that this post is long past due for closure. Without any new info, it's just a chat and venting route.

Let me know what you guys think. We can always re-open it up, or start a fresh thread once they start to show up on people's doorsteps.. This is one of the most speculative threads that we have, here on HF.

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #2,645 of 2,681
Quote:
Can someone please provide me a link to Brittany's post (I don't know her username unless it's "Brittany").

here ya go: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/495320/jh-audio-jh-3a/2565#post_7323661

her user name is mammabear. i tried the search function but it didn't turn up her posts. i wish the search function could be made to work as well as it did pre-hudler. if not Jude, please post a tutorial!  i've no doubt that Jude could get the search to work, but i couldn't.
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #2,646 of 2,681
I would close this thread I you ask me.  Personally, there is useful information the first 10 pages, but then it's all pretty useless.  For people actually interested in hearing what it sounds like when released (not the prototype), there should be a new impressions thread.

Mar 10, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #2,648 of 2,681

Quote:

I really feel that this post is long past due for closure. Without any new info, it's just a chat and venting route.

Let me know what you guys think. We can always re-open it up, or start a fresh thread once they start to show up on people's doorsteps.. This is one of the most speculative threads that we have, here on HF.

Hmmm, I don't agree.  If it's speculative it is so for a reason and I don't blame the members here for all of it.  There were serious concerns expressed that have now been addressed directly by JHA here on the thread.  Let's see how it all plays out now.  If you feel certain comments made were too personal or slanderous then that can be dealt with without shutting down a thread.  I've seen far more slanderous stuff around Headfi regarding Fiio, Ultrasone, Hifiman, Monster, etc. let go so why so sensitive about the JH3A?  I personally haven't been thrilled w/ my perceived form of selective censorship around Head-fi and this would be another such instance IMO.  Saying that this has just been a thread for venting about delays is completely incorrect.  Go visit the Arrow thread or now the 1964 thread and you'll see the difference.  There are legitimate concerns about the product and it is a developing situation.  I mean people have already bought the wrong gear.  What more relevance do you need to justify keeping the thread up.  People need to stop taking things so personally IMO.  Keep it open.  Don't throw the baby out w/ the bathwater.

Mar 10, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #2,649 of 2,681
I wholeheartedly agree... I say keep this thread alive until the damn thing finally ships, and then we can start a new one :)

I found hearing other people's experiences with JHA to be helpful given the sometimes lacking transparency around what is going on with this product.

Quote:
Hmmm, I don't agree.  If it's speculative it is so for a reason and I don't blame the members here for all of it.  There were serious concerns expressed that have now been addressed directly by JHA here on the thread.  Let's see how it all plays out now.  If you feel certain comments made were too personal or slanderous then that can be dealt with without shutting down a thread.  I've seen far more slanderous stuff around Headfi regarding Fiio, Ultrasone, Hifiman, Monster, etc. let go so why so sensitive about the JH3A?  I personally haven't been thrilled w/ my perceived form of selective censorship around Head-fi and this would be another such instance IMO.  Saying that this has just been a thread for venting about delays is completely incorrect.  Go visit the Arrow thread or now the 1964 thread and you'll see the difference.  There are legitimate concerns about the product and it is a developing situation.  I mean people have already bought the wrong gear.  What more relevance do you need to justify keeping the thread up.  People need to stop taking things so personally IMO.  Keep it open.  Don't throw the baby out w/ the bathwater.

Mar 10, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #2,650 of 2,681
Quote:
here ya go: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/495320/jh-audio-jh-3a/2565#post_7323661

her user name is mamabear. i tried the search function but it didn't turn up her posts. i wish the search function could be made to work as well as it did pre-hudler. if not Jude, please post a tutorial!  i've no doubt that Jude could get the search to work, but i couldn't.
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif

Quote:
daveDerek,
You forgot an 'm' my friend.  (mammabear)

well that could explain my lack of success with the search - this time
rolleyes.gif
.  i still find that the search function doesn't work nearly as well as it used to and needs revamping and a tutorial!

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #2,651 of 2,681
and even if folks vent, they are true headphiles, and have put their money where their mouths are, so they are entitled to do so (just avoid baseless accusations).   i vote to keep it open (and it is an interesting thread anyway)

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #2,654 of 2,681

Quote:
How about a thread for those who prepaid?

Why don't you do just that and start a new thread? This thread, in my view, must not be closed/ locked, otherwise it will seem to be a clear form of censorship. As massively long as this thread is, there's some useful information to be found on it.

I do think, however, that when people eventually start receiving this new product, a new 'Appreciation, Reviews & Impressions' thread should be started.

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #2,655 of 2,681
Without this thread many of us would hardly know what this JH-3A thing is. I read every single page and it took 50+ pages to pin down exactly what it was and how it was proposed to work. 

Even now it's unclear how this thing will work (inputs anyone?) and just shutting the door on it seems inappropriate. Without every individual person interested in the product contacting JHA to try and understand something, I think nearly everyone would be in the dark. At least with this open people can stumble around together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back