JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Aug 29, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #9,451 of 10,743
Why not just get both?  
size]

Can't really go wrong with the JH13, especially with the 15% off, and enjoy it until the flagship came and upgrade if it is insanely good.

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #9,452 of 10,743
Why not just get both?  
size]

Can't really go wrong with the JH13, especially with the 15% off, and enjoy it until the flagship came and upgrade if it is insanely good.

guh that sounds like my plan.

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #9,454 of 10,743
So I'm currently stuck on deciding whether I should get some UERMs or JH13s and now suddenly there is now talk of a new flagship being released. I have a pair of HD800s and ideally I would like to get some CIEMs that are like them. The UERMs drop off steeply below 30hz and a lot of people say the JH13s are a warm slight V shape with better imaging and detail. I'm currently leaning towards getting some JH13s but I'm worried that they are too far away from neutral and as CIEMs have little resale value. I'm especially worried I'll make the wrong choice.

I would really like to hear some comparisons between the UERMs and JH13s so that hopefully I can stop floundering and make a decision. Of course I'm also wondering what the chances are that JH will release a new flagship with the intent of being neutral. I'm leaning towards it not being likely as it's better to have a variety of totl sound signatures rather than make a current one obsolete.

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #9,455 of 10,743
I don't think too many have them all esp the newer JH13 freqphase. The UERM does sound similar to the HD800 (I have both) however I have never heard the JH13. 

I don't know where you live but I would look up the recommended audiologists for JH Audio and UE and see if any audiologists are the same and give them a call to see if they have demos. You could knock out two birds with one stone and get a demo of them both and get your impressions while you are there. Also many times if you order the custom through them they may waive the impression cost or give a discount on the impressions. The other option is meets but those are only at the big ones. I know UE goes to some of the meets in California and NYC but not sure about the other places.

Aug 31, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #9,457 of 10,743
Quote:
Has anyone used the smartphone mic with JH 13s? If so, comments on whether it dilutes the CIEM performance, and is it a good mic? Thanks.

I used it for 1-2 months since I got the jh13's and was very happy with it, the mic seems to work very well (so I'm sold), for a stock cable it does great!

...I later bought a Twag and a Silver dragon iem cables. I went back to the mic cable briefly to try it out again, and compared to the other cables, it was lifeless.
size]

I only briefly tried the Silver Dragon before selling it off again and I will be buying one again once I buy a new house and settle in. It seem like it was made for the jh13's.

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #9,458 of 10,743
So I'm currently stuck on deciding whether I should get some UERMs or JH13s and now suddenly there is now talk of a new flagship being released. I have a pair of HD800s and ideally I would like to get some CIEMs that are like them. The UERMs drop off steeply below 30hz and a lot of people say the JH13s are a warm slight V shape with better imaging and detail. I'm currently leaning towards getting some JH13s but I'm worried that they are too far away from neutral and as CIEMs have little resale value. I'm especially worried I'll make the wrong choice.

I would really like to hear some comparisons between the UERMs and JH13s so that hopefully I can stop floundering and make a decision. Of course I'm also wondering what the chances are that JH will release a new flagship with the intent of being neutral. I'm leaning towards it not being likely as it's better to have a variety of totl sound signatures rather than make a current one obsolete.

I auditioned the UERM and JH13 (non-freqphase) universal demo models (along with other JH and UE demo models) leading up to my purchase of the JH13 FP. 

I went straight from the JH13 to the UERM and I thought the UERM sounded awful by comparison. Very mid-forward, a little harsh, and with an artificial edge. The JH was smoother and more natural without sacrificing detail. I didn't think either model was completely neutral, but I much preferred the JH's presentation. Take this with a grain of salt, as it was a short demo and I went in fairly certain going in that the JH13 was right for me, and, as I mentioned, they were universal-fit demo models. 

Having since gotten my JH13 FP, it's a little bassier than expected. I wouldn't call it warm. It's just that there's some emphasis in the lower bass, like turning a subwoofer up a couple notches. I'm used to a very flat sound with my reference speakers, and my reference full-size headphones are AKG K701, so I'm not exactly a bass-head. The JH13s are ever so slightly more bassy than I'd like, but I think they're very close to my ideal for headphones. 

Depending on where you live, there's a pretty good chance you can find a dealer that has both JH and UE demos. That'd be best. But I'll tell you that having faced the same decision as you, going with the JH13 was an easy choice. Ideally I would have liked to have tried the Westone ES5 too, but I'd already committed to the JH13 by the time that model was on my radar, and everything I've read since has reinforced my choice. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #9,459 of 10,743
Quote:
I auditioned the UERM and JH13 (non-freqphase) universal demo models (along with other JH and UE demo models) leading up to my purchase of the JH13 FP. 

I went straight from the JH13 to the UERM and I thought the UERM sounded awful by comparison. Very mid-forward, a little harsh, and with an artificial edge. The JH was smoother and more natural without sacrificing detail. I didn't think either model was completely neutral, but I much preferred the JH's presentation. Take this with a grain of salt, as it was a short demo and I went in fairly certain going in that the JH13 was right for me, and, as I mentioned, they were universal-fit demo models. 

Having since gotten my JH13 FP, it's a little baser than expected. I wouldn't call it warm. It's just that there's some emphasis in the lower bass, like turning a subwoofer up a couple notches. I'm used to a very flat sound with my reference speakers, and my reference full-size headphones are AKG K701, so I'm not exactly a bass-head. The JH13s are ever so slightly more bassy than I'd like, but I think they're very close to my ideal for headphones. 

Depending on where you live, there's a pretty good chance you can find a dealer that has both JH and UE demos. That'd be best. But I'll tell you that having faced the same decision as you, going with the JH13 was an easy choice. Ideally I would have liked to have tried the Westone ES5 too, but I'd already committed to the JH13 by the time that model was on my radar, and everything I've read since has reinforced my choice. 

How do you think they fare against full-sized headphones, perhaps the flagship models?

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #9,460 of 10,743
I'll try to compare the JH13 FP to the full-size models with which I'm familiar but it's been a couple years since I heard the HD650 and LCD2, and I only had the JH13 for a couple weeks before I sent them in for a refit and to fix a couple aesthetic things they messed up, and haven't gotten them back yet.

The UERM I just didn't listen to long enough to do this comparison. Sorry.

JH13 FP is just as detailed as the K701, but smoother and more natural, and definitely more bass—JH13 is definitely much closer to my ideal bass response. Not as bright.

More detailed than the HD650, and I don't think they're as dark. Maybe not quite as smooth and natural, but close enough for me.

In terms of overall satisfaction, the JH13 for me tops both of those models. It's roughly on par with the LCD2 for me, satisfaction-wise. It's got some more detail than the LCD2, and I think it's a little brighter. I'm not sure I have enough time with the JH13 to compare bass response, but I think they're close. LCD2's a but smoother overall, but like I said, not as detailed.

I don't think I've spent enough time with other flagship models to give you a comparison. Unless you count the M-100 and Momentum, which the JH13 beats the pants off of. But I don't know the HD800 well; sorry.

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #9,463 of 10,743
I really want a PRM, 335 and Jh13 shootout of build, comfort and SQ :) Pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaase

HAHA I'll try. Please remind me in 3 weeks when I get back home so I can take proper pics with my camera. And that means I'm getting a macro lens.

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #9,465 of 10,743
You have 3 days and include the 846. After that I am coming for you.

Haha! We really need to meet one of these days, maybe when Im actually sent to China for work? I'll bring private security so you wont make off with anything :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back