JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Sep 9, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #10,351 of 10,743
Also I consider the RE400 to have next to no bass. It has barely enough when paired with a RSA Predator (a portable amp with a decent low end heft and weight) and it's only ever sounded very good when connected to a CLAS -db dac and a Bakoon HPA21 (voltage out). 

What I am trying to say is that I don't consider RE-400 to be my reference point. I think it's ridiculously bass light.

I like a neutral sound with a slight bassy tilt. I was an ex bass head. That's why I figured that the JH13 FP PRO would be ideal for me (from the descriptions). However, it turns out that my unit is so bassy that if this was how the JH13 was meant to be, I cannot imagine the JH16. It's be like stuffing two miniature subwoofers into your ears.

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #10,352 of 10,743
It would constitute a bit of a risk to have it reshelled again in case it ended up no different. It'd be money down the drain.

However, if I was to do so, do any of you JH13 Pro FP owners have any recommendations on who I should send it to for reshelling? Obviously the less I spend while still achieving the same result would be best but of course there is no use me paying less but not getting it done properly either. Any suggestions? Cheers. 

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #10,354 of 10,743
I have a question for anyone who has purchased the JH-13 PROs recently. A friend of mine was interested in purchasing them, but read that JH Audio were no longer producing them with the nozzles to the second bend of the ear canal (even if the customer requests this). Apparently this is for comfort reasons. He tried emailing JH Audio and forwarded me their reply to translate and they didn't really answer his question. Does anyone know if there is any truth in this? My friend really doesn't want to buy them if the fit is shallow. Thanks

EDIT: Ignore my post. I got an email from JH myself and this is not true. Moderator please delete this post.

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #10,355 of 10,743
  It would constitute a bit of a risk to have it reshelled again in case it ended up no different. It'd be money down the drain.

However, if I was to do so, do any of you JH13 Pro FP owners have any recommendations on who I should send it to for reshelling? Obviously the less I spend while still achieving the same result would be best but of course there is no use me paying less but not getting it done properly either. Any suggestions? Cheers. 

First, I'd try a stock cable and then a regular stranded silver. No gold and no litz. If that isn't lean enough, I'd suspect the build or drivers.

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #10,356 of 10,743
My set is finally back with me last night! Thats 2 months and 2 weeks of waiting time. Its been long but all is fine (and hope it continues to)

Sep 13, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #10,357 of 10,743
My JH13pro (before freqphase) is paired with Toxic Cable's Silver Widow.

The JH13 sounded great with its stock cables, no doubt about it.
But to me, the Silver Widow took the JH13pro to a whole new level. Everything is exponentially improved.
The fluidity, the mids, the dynamics, the soundstage, the bass (and sub-bass), all of it magnified.

Even though i have the JH Roxanne, and it is top of the crop (in my books), it does not take away the amazing combo of JH13 + Silver Widow.
Both sound different and have different characteristics (with some similarities) but both stand on equal footing in terms of their delivery.

I believe the new JH13pro FP will benefit from custom cables. 

Sep 18, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #10,358 of 10,743
I'm awful close to ordering a new pair of JH13, but have a question that hopefully someone who owns a pair can answer.

Are they genre limited? One of the reasons I love my pair of UERM's is that they feel at home with most any type of music. From classical to folk and back through ambient, the UERM is nothing if not versatile. My ES5 on the other hand is  more genre limited. Fantastic with rock, folk and pop they are too colored (for me at least) for classical and don't throw out the vast space for ambient. So, where does the JH13 stand? One size fits all or more catered to a specific musical direction? 

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #10,359 of 10,743
I'm awful close to ordering a new pair of JH13, but have a question that hopefully someone who owns a pair can answer.

Are they genre limited? One of the reasons I love my pair of UERM's is that they feel at home with most any type of music. From classical to folk and back through ambient, the UERM is nothing if not versatile. My ES5 on the other hand is  more genre limited. Fantastic with rock, folk and pop they are too colored (for me at least) for classical and don't throw out the vast space for ambient. So, where does the JH13 stand? One size fits all or more catered to a specific musical direction? 

Just my opinion but I reckon they pretty much reproduce what they are fed. Bass driven music is not their forte though IMHO.

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #10,361 of 10,743
It's not as enhanced compared to a lot of other stuff out there. As far as I'm concerned the jh13 is great with all kinds of music.

Sep 19, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #10,363 of 10,743
Well that's what I am thinking. It might not be done correctly perhaps. I have a set of customs similar to Merlins. 5 driver, TWFK dual BA drivers for mids and highs, the TPeos dynamic driver for low frequencies (smaller than the UM Merlins bass driver). The resulting sound is very neutral and not bassy as expected. 

When I switch to my JH13 PRO FP. It's like OMG, the bass presence is unbelievable. The bass sounds good but the high frequencies seem very recessed. Not neutral like it's been described (one of the reasons I chose it). I initially thought it was because the included cable wasn't good. I got a Toxic Scorpion which is a copper cable known for its bass and imaging. It sounded good but way too bassy so I thought it was the wrong cable. Got myself a Toxic Silver Widow and it's still far bassier than my copper cabled 5 driver custom that has a dynamic bass driver.  

Who did you reshell with? As I understand that FreqPhase has something to do with tube length and driver placement etc, could it be that the resheller messed everything up?

Sep 19, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #10,364 of 10,743
I know I am going against the tide here. I do not consider the JH13 to be flawless. I think that the bass is soft. I am also unimpressed by the soundstage. What they do have for me is oodles of detail in all other frequencies and a lovely relaxed, natural tone. Just my opinion.

Sep 19, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #10,365 of 10,743
Try some more sources. They are very chameleon like. They don't create soundstage, they reproduce what is actually there. I consider it one of their strong attributes. I bit extra low bass can sound less tight but it's as much about synergy as anything else. They don't have that midbass bump that many like. I'm not disagreeing with you because it's always personal. Just my take.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back