JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Jun 2, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #16 of 10,743
If I were in the market and could afford them, I would without a doubt go for the JH13's. They seem as though they are a clear step above the current competitors for the top custom IEM, at least from a technology perspective.

I have to say that I would feel a little weird about dropping all sorts of money on a top end custom IEM with how quickly the market itself seems to be evolving and growing. The product cycles seem to be shorter, with faster advancement in technology than we're used to with full sized headphones.

That being said, I'm intrigued by the idea of whether someone interested in the JH13 who already has a pair of UE11's that they wouldn't mind sending off to get 're-molded' would be able to have a buyer send them their impressions to be sent to UE.

I would be intrigued by seeing if we could find a way to create a market for used customs given the availability of new services in that direction- if not by the company's themselves, than by some aftermarket service like Null Audio or UM in China.

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #17 of 10,743
I emailed and all colors are available.

I put my name on the list for the 13's.

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #19 of 10,743
No, I just emailed to find out a solid date when they will start shipping. The preliminary info is the middle of June but I will make sure and post back. Now what color??

Edit:

Shipping will start in two weeks, the middle of June. There is a discount for HeadFi members of 100 dollars on the 13's. Not bad.

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #20 of 10,743
yep I think you just need to tell them you belong to the forums and may be supply a user name and your all set so for 1000 bucks you could be rolling with 6 driver jh-13 pro's
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #21 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am teetering between the ES3X and these. I have the impressions done and ready. What to do, what to do.

I don't know man. When I talked to Harvey at the CanJam, he is a go man, who believes in his products and has the know how to make it happen. I was really impressed with him and have no doubt he will make excellent products. Is true you need both to make comparisons. I compared the universal JH-13 he had there with my UM3X. I know is apples to oranges but it did sound better than the Westones, with a wide soundstage and very very clean sound. I listened to them with my own iPod (Mozart, Brahms) and I really liked them.

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #22 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by LegenDz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmm.....so you guys say this is better than the Sennheiser HD800's huh??? Looks like my wallet may still be intact because I'm not gonna shell out $5,000 for a home rig anymore. Just a HiFi Man and a pair of JH13 Pro's will be my all around setup....home and portable use.

That's what I've been thinking by reading what's been around. Shame, I'm just 1995$ short.

I think I might go out and get a chocolate bar...

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #23 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know man. When I talked to Harvey at the CanJam, he is a go man, who believes in his products and has the know how to make it happen. I was really impressed with him and have no doubt he will make excellent products. Is true you need both to make comparisons. I compared the universal JH-13 he had there with my UM3X. I know is apples to oranges but it did sound better than the Westones, with a wide soundstage and very very clean sound. I listened to them with my own iPod (Mozart, Brahms) and I really liked them.

you do need to account that you listened to a universal version I have heard many people say that the universals (ue10s, and ue11s, along with other customs) are not the same as the complete custom product

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #24 of 10,743
Quote:

Gilency? Would you care to explain how do the universal version of these custom earphones look? Are they clear, black, etc...? I've never seen one.

Funny I did not pay much attention to the color. They were transparent. Orange clear perhaps.

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #25 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you do need to account that you listened to a universal version I have heard many people say that the universals (ue10s, and ue11s, along with other customs) are not the same as the complete custom product

no doubt. I agree.

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #26 of 10,743
Can anyone else who was at CanJam and heard the JH audio lineup discuss their thoughts on how the JH 10/11/13s compared. I actually preferred the JH 10x3s to the rest, but now I'm having second thoughts (and questioning if maybe I didn't get the best seal) and wondering if I should go all out and get the JH13s. Considering I'll never be able to sell these off, I'm wondering if I should go with the "best" currently available.

I personally found the JH 10x3s to be a little livelier and less neutral, but with slightly less bass than the others.

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #27 of 10,743
well jh-13's for 1000 bucks is impossible for me to pass up as soon as my last few things go bye bye in the mail I am sendin those impressions in and then will sit like a little girl waiting in anticipation for the finished product.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #28 of 10,743
I stopped listening to my E500's w/black olives last year because they were uncomfortable to listen to for longer than 30min at a time.

Those of you who have had experience with customs do they irritate your ears at all? Have you had any issues wearing them for an extended time?

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #29 of 10,743
Quote:

Hmmmm.....so you guys say this is better than the Sennheiser HD800's huh??? Looks like my wallet may still be intact because I'm not gonna shell out $5,000 for a home rig anymore. Just a HiFi Man and a pair of JH13 Pro's will be my all around setup....home and portable use.

This brings up a really interesting point, IMO.

I believe that times are changing, when it comes to the comparative value of a home vs. portable set-up. I think it could soon be very possible to get 90% of the performance of a home rig in the convenience of a portable rig for a lot less money.

The reason is because of the advance of IEM's as an entirely separate category of listening device. They simply don't require the level of power and sophistication that home rigs can need to sound their best.

Whereas with a home rig, you often have to sink huge $$ into an amp and source to be able to really harness the potential of your high-end cans, I simply don't believe IEM's require that level of investment further up the food chain.

I think that a HiFiMan and a pair of good customs is probably the direction I'm going to move, too. I'll probably wait a bit on the HiFiMan, but the point being that IEM's can be optimized, in terms of source/amping, for far less money.

I'd be really curious to see if the difference between using a HiFiMan (or even Pico) with a set of good customs or the same IEM's with a $5000 amp and source was really that significant. With a pair of full-sized cans, I could imagine their being a big difference. With an IEM, I'm not as sure...but again, I don't have the experience to be able to speculate, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back