JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 2, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #106 of 3,122

i have K3003 and love it (apart from a slight mid-bass hump , i don't see any other 'faults'...) but lately i have been eyeing Angie and wondering if/how much better it is , and if it's worth shelling the extra 1000$

what do you think ? is there a big difference in sonic quality between these 2 iems ?

Yes there is, for most part the mid bass is also present in Angie, but its not overly done like the UE18PRO. K3003 will give the impression of having more treble and clarity expecially on the vocal, there is alot of texture in K3003 while Angie is much more smoother and warmer. The bass in Angie has much much more power (depending on dial but at 1pm) the K3003 sounded less bass weight but bass is very presence and really fast and tight.. very similar to HD800. Angie wins on overall soundstage but K3003 is not very far behind, the super wide soundstage of k3003 combines with pin point accuracy is on par with Angie, but it lack the depth, the height and the overall impression of "being there". K3003 soundstage is like being in control studio while Angie has a more 3Diemensional impression like listening to someone plays a saxophone in a NY subway. There is simply more space in Angie.

To be honest each has its strength. the biggest diff is in the bass. Of course, the Angie isolate much much better and is more comfortable overall.

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #107 of 3,122
Angie bass can go as big as SE846, Roxanne and even UE18PRO and at the same time, can be as clean as K3003 (10-11am). its very flexible.I think after 2pm, Angie start to sound veil and muddy. IMO.

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #108 of 3,122
If anyone is looking for an amazing IEM amp for the Angie I can whole heartily recommend the new ALO Rx. Just received mine today and have been testing it for the last couple hours with a variety of music. I thought the Angie was amazing before but this little amp puts out some serious musical timbre and soundstage to these IEMs. Fantastic dynamics as well.

Just amazed!

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #109 of 3,122
  I did play around with it and settle on 12 to 1pm. At 1pm, the sub bass is about the same as SE846 but the mid bass is more than SE846, that makes the SE846 sound like there is a dip in the mid bass, hence some bass "data" is lost along the way. For example the overall bass sound more melodic than SE846 as Angie can produce all the bass tone frequency pretty evenly even when the sub bass is boosted while some of SE846's mid bass got covered by the sub bass.

I manage the to solve the mystery of why I was NOT impressed on my 1st try, but love it over some more listening.

1) At 9am, it was pretty flat. Which is fine but the problem is me, I am so used to boosted bass, vocal and treble that Angie sound a little flat.

2) At 12pm to 1pm. I got back the bass that I so missed in the SE846. The sub bass is still slightly more boosted in SE846 (a hair more) but the mid bass is more superior than SE846.

3) Se846 vocal is very forward and "enhanced" as compare to the rest of frequency, Angie is more accurate as its forward but not overly done. But the main differences is in their tonal quality. A quick comparison makes the SE846 sound a little like "cup hands" while Angie portray a more accurate chesty voice as in real life voice quality

4) The Angie treble is very even across the higher octave as in nothing is enhanced or spike up to create clarity, in comparison with Se846 white filter, some lower treble is spike up to create more excitement but start to roll off sooner than Angie at the very top, which means SE846 is likely to get fatigue faster than Angie when playing loud.

Now come the real strength of Angie..

Angie even frequency (despite dialing at 12.30pm) allows all frequency to flow through with nothing loss. SE846 enhance sub bass mask details, cup hands vocal create some sharpness (which is nice by the way) sound like amplified vocal through a mike (normal) while Angie is singing with life to me in a subway- no mike, no amplification. The spike up lower treble tend to cover some details while Angie let every thing through - no spike in treble whatsoever.

Let me give an example, the percussion shaker is almost entirely lost in SE846 in some complex jazz music, while Angie show a very clear distinct existence and locations. I notice it was lost because the tambourine that is also going on, sounded too sharp & loud in Se846 hence masking it existence. So in short with alot of instruments going on, Angie produce them all evenly while SE846 mask some of those due to some frequency peaks. Don;t get me wrong, I can still hear it in SE846 but the attention towards the louder frequency mask it.

Ok the soundstage.. oh boy the soundstage.. the Angie is almost unbeatable in most of the TOTL IEM I heard. Now K3003 comes pretty close as in able to match its wideness but looses in the front and back and height. Roxanne matches its depth and wideness but loose some "air" (could be roll off extended treble a little earlier). Tralucent 1p2 could match it out of the head experience, but not as tall and wide. SE846 looses the space between instrument and depth. None of the above IEM has all the qualities roll into one. Angie's soundstage is phenomenon. Its not too diffuse like some sort of surround ESP. Its natural. Even full size headphone like LCD X may have more depth, height and space between instrument but not as wide. Angie creates a pretty impressive life performance at front seat. I cannot imagine any IEM has all these qualities roll into one and does it better (looking at Layla from afar and wondering...).

So the above explains the mystery of hate it first and then love it later. In fact I am not even returning it, I am already looking at cables to go with Angie.. lol. 

- Note I am using comply foam but I mod it as in push it all the way to the base exposing the bore. This way, I have the isolation, comfort (insert really deep) and not losses any treble compared to using silicon. Best of all no vacuum like the silicone. 

You may just like them more now due to imaginary breakin. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #110 of 3,122
If anyone is looking for an amazing IEM amp for the Angie I can whole heartily recommend the new ALO Rx. Just received mine today and have been testing it for the last couple hours with a variety of music. I thought the Angie was amazing before but this little amp puts out some serious musical timbre and soundstage to these IEMs. Fantastic dynamics as well.

Just amazed!

Nice. Ive been eyeing the same amp as well for my W60 and incoming Angie's. What sort of DAP are you using?

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #111 of 3,122
Nice. Ive been eyeing the same amp as well for my W60 and incoming Angie's. What sort of DAP are you using?

Just the first gen X5. The DAC in the X5 is fairly detailed and paired with the Rx and Angie the music really sings.

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #112 of 3,122
  I did play around with it and settle on 12 to 1pm. At 1pm, the sub bass is about the same as SE846 but the mid bass is more than SE846, that makes the SE846 sound like there is a dip in the mid bass, hence some bass "data" is lost along the way. For example the overall bass sound more melodic than SE846 as Angie can produce all the bass tone frequency pretty evenly even when the sub bass is boosted while some of SE846's mid bass got covered by the sub bass.

I manage the to solve the mystery of why I was NOT impressed on my 1st try, but love it over some more listening.

1) At 9am, it was pretty flat. Which is fine but the problem is me, I am so used to boosted bass, vocal and treble that Angie sound a little flat.

2) At 12pm to 1pm. I got back the bass that I so missed in the SE846. The sub bass is still slightly more boosted in SE846 (a hair more) but the mid bass is more superior than SE846.

3) Se846 vocal is very forward and "enhanced" as compare to the rest of frequency, Angie is more accurate as its forward but not overly done. But the main differences is in their tonal quality. A quick comparison makes the SE846 sound a little like "cup hands" while Angie portray a more accurate chesty voice as in real life voice quality

4) The Angie treble is very even across the higher octave as in nothing is enhanced or spike up to create clarity, in comparison with Se846 white filter, some lower treble is spike up to create more excitement but start to roll off sooner than Angie at the very top, which means SE846 is likely to get fatigue faster than Angie when playing loud.

Now come the real strength of Angie..

Angie even frequency (despite dialing at 12.30pm) allows all frequency to flow through with nothing loss. SE846 enhance sub bass mask details, cup hands vocal create some sharpness (which is nice by the way) sound like amplified vocal through a mike (normal) while Angie is singing with life to me in a subway- no mike, no amplification. The spike up lower treble tend to cover some details while Angie let every thing through - no spike in treble whatsoever.

Let me give an example, the percussion shaker is almost entirely lost in SE846 in some complex jazz music, while Angie show a very clear distinct existence and locations. I notice it was lost because the tambourine that is also going on, sounded too sharp & loud in Se846 hence masking it existence. So in short with alot of instruments going on, Angie produce them all evenly while SE846 mask some of those due to some frequency peaks. Don;t get me wrong, I can still hear it in SE846 but the attention towards the louder frequency mask it.

Ok the soundstage.. oh boy the soundstage.. the Angie is almost unbeatable in most of the TOTL IEM I heard. Now K3003 comes pretty close as in able to match its wideness but looses in the front and back and height. Roxanne matches its depth and wideness but loose some "air" (could be roll off extended treble a little earlier). Tralucent 1p2 could match it out of the head experience, but not as tall and wide. SE846 looses the space between instrument and depth. None of the above IEM has all the qualities roll into one. Angie's soundstage is phenomenon. Its not too diffuse like some sort of surround ESP. Its natural. Even full size headphone like LCD X may have more depth, height and space between instrument but not as wide. Angie creates a pretty impressive life performance at front seat. I cannot imagine any IEM has all these qualities roll into one and does it better (looking at Layla from afar and wondering...).

So the above explains the mystery of hate it first and then love it later. In fact I am not even returning it, I am already looking at cables to go with Angie.. lol. 

- Note I am using comply foam but I mod it as in push it all the way to the base exposing the bore. This way, I have the isolation, comfort (insert really deep) and not losses any treble compared to using silicon. Best of all no vacuum like the silicone. 

Great review!  I found the same thing with the 846s.  The Angies are, to me, much less fatiguing and clearer.  I couldn't notice as much bass on the 8's as other people claimed.  Must be the midbass adding more texture with the A's.
I tend to think of them as my portable Xs in a way.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #113 of 3,122
You may just like them more now due to imaginary breakin. :tongue_smile:

Lol... Takes me awhile to like it, sound flat at first, but on prolong listening I notice quite a lot of details that I never thought exist start to pop out in Angie. I start to notice the Background instrument more distinctively.

I think Angie is more for engineers and audiophile who wants to hear more evenly with less aggressive peaks. It would sound boring to an 16 yrs old who wants big bass and sharp treble. I have been listening to boosted peaks most of my life and this is probably my first flat iem. Takes me sometime to like it. U are right, headfi call it brain burn in..lol

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #114 of 3,122

Not quite. I feel the Rx is as good an IEM amp as the Hugo. I'm not sure it "beats" the AK240, but it brings out more treble in the Laylas -- it seems to bring out the bass a bit more in some IEMs, so I was wondering if this is specifically better performance because it is a dedicated IEM amp or simply Layla crossover weirdness. The Rx seems to have had as much thought put into the circuit as more serious dedicated amps for full-sized headphones and the result with IEMs is definitely excellent. 
smile.gif

Do you hear hiss with the Layla and the Hugo?  How about with the Rx and Layla?  

Just wondering, because the Hugo is a fine source and seemingly decent amp, but it produces very audible hiss for me with both my Angies and UERMs.  I liked the Rx MK3-B with full-size headphones, but that amp was very poor with IEMs due to the high gain/high hiss level.

Jun 3, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #115 of 3,122
Do you hear hiss with the Layla and the Hugo?  How about with the Rx and Layla?  

Just wondering, because the Hugo is a fine source and seemingly decent amp, but it produces very audible hiss for me with both my Angies and UERMs.  I liked the Rx MK3-B with full-size headphones, but that amp was very poor with IEMs due to the high gain/high hiss level.

I know you asked Curawong but I'll chime in. With the Angie I hear no hiss from the Rx. It's very quiet. Unlike the Rx MK3-B the new Rx is tuned specifically for IEMs. The pairing is great and they have good synergy IMO.

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #116 of 3,122
Lol... Takes me awhile to like it, sound flat at first, but on prolong listening I notice quite a lot of details that I never thought exist start to pop out in Angie. I start to notice the Background instrument more distinctively.

I think Angie is more for engineers and audiophile who wants to hear more evenly with less aggressive peaks. It would sound boring to an 16 yrs old who wants big bass and sharp treble. I have been listening to boosted peaks most of my life and this is probably my first flat iem. Takes me sometime to like it. U are right, headfi call it brain burn in..lol
Ya, I was kidding and I do think they break in.

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #118 of 3,122
Hey Angie owners, if you prefer silicone tips I suggest you pick up a pair of Spinfit tips for your Angie IEMs if you don't have a pair already. They don't have a ridge (which I'm very sensitive to), bend to the contour of your canal and seal very well compared to stock silicone.

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #119 of 3,122
Hey Angie owners, if you prefer silicone tips I suggest you pick up a pair of Spinfit tips for your Angie IEMs if you don't have a pair already. They don't have a ridge (which I'm very sensitive to), bend to the contour of your canal and seal very well compared to stock silicone.

Any place in particular where you ordered them from?  I've been skimmimn the thread and get the feeling different companies make them.

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #120 of 3,122
Any place in particular where you ordered them from?  I've been skimmimn the thread and get the feeling different companies make them.

PM sent. Just got them, highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back