JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 7, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #2,551 of 3,122
Just ordered a pair of Angie v1 IEMs... hopefully they come tomorrow! I intend to use these both as personal audio, initially with my iPhone 7 via the lightning adaptor which I understand has a <0.6 ohm output impedence, but later with an outboard dac like the dragonfly red, and also at home to monitor my Fractal Audio Axe FX II Guitar processor. I'm expecting the Angie to excel in both activities given JH pedigree as stage monitors (I don't gig, so I don't need the CIEM, though it would be nice).

I'm a rocker at heart, but do like some current pop music from time to time too, so hoping these cover everything from pop, through blues, to rock and metal. These are my first serious IEMs having previously owned Shure E5c, TPeos H200, Westone W4r. I sold off my DT880 Pro and T51p to get these. Have also owned the Grado RS1i which was great for guitar monitoring but a tad bright otherwise.

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #2,552 of 3,122
I listen to mostly rock, of any decade, but especially the 60s and 70s, and Angie handled my music in a most pleasing manner. I think you'll find her very capable.

Nov 7, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #2,553 of 3,122
@zerolight

I listen to lots of rock, Angie is brilliant because it brings out the drums so well. The whole composition is coherant, guitars sound wild and vocals pop. I guess its not as bassy as Roxanne but certainly enough for me. Instrument separation is fantastic which really works for rock. Get the right tips if you have Universal's, comply's sounded best to me.

Nov 7, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #2,554 of 3,122
As long as you get a proper fit (which is not a given with the Universal Angies), you should be please by the signature.
Among the most detailed drums I've ever heard with Angies, and the rest is not too shaby either.

Nov 7, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #2,555 of 3,122
Excellent guys. Thanks. Looking fwd to this.

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #2,556 of 3,122
I'm thinking of upgrading my portable setup and would love to get a pair of Angies but I won't be buying a DAP yet so I'll be running it through my iPhone 6s Plus. Haven't read through the whole thread yet so apologies if there have already been impressions about it.

Would my phone be enough to drive the Angie or is the Angie picky about the source? Thanks in advance!

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #2,557 of 3,122
My understanding is that the iPhone output impedance is a bit high through the headphone jack for a good match. However a lightning to headphone adapter has a much lower impedance and should work well. As an iPhone 7 plus user I have no option but to use the adapter. I may also buy a dragonfly.

Nov 8, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #2,560 of 3,122
OMG. These things sound AMAZING!

edit: Been listening for an hour now and these are without doubt the best IEMs, no Earphones, that I have owned. I've thrown everything at these, from Vivaldi (I don't like classical, but I was played it last week testing out an EL8O, and wanted to see how these handle the textured bass), through Norah Jones, to Five Finger Death Punch. The do everything so well. The bass can go so massive and deep, yet when I fire up Nightrain by GnR, Duff's guitar retains that spanky bass note rather than getting all boomy. And then I stick on It's Full of Stars from Last Days on Mars sound track and the bass is so deep its terrifying. 

I must have small ear canals - the stock medium silicone tips felt kinda tight. I'm getting a good seal from the smallest silicone tips and they feel pretty comfy too. I do tend to get a little tender in the ear canal from IEMs which is why I moved away from them a couple years back.

Nov 8, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #2,561 of 3,122
  OMG. These things sound AMAZING!

edit: Been listening for an hour now and these are without doubt the best IEMs, no Earphones, that I have owned. I've thrown everything at these, from Vivaldi (I don't like classical, but I was played it last week testing out an EL8O, and wanted to see how these handle the textured bass), through Norah Jones, to Five Finger Death Punch. The do everything so well. The bass can go so massive and deep, yet when I fire up Nightrain by GnR, Duff's guitar retains that spanky bass note rather than getting all boomy. And then I stick on It's Full of Stars from Last Days on Mars sound track and the bass is so deep its terrifying. 

I must have small ear canals - the stock medium silicone tips felt kinda tight. I'm getting a good seal from the smallest silicone tips and they feel pretty comfy too. I do tend to get a little tender in the ear canal from IEMs which is why I moved away from them a couple years back.

You're damned right! 
L3000.gif

I came from Ultimate Ears (TF10 & UE900) and some Shures, they sounded good but Angie is another league. Currently running balanced with FiiO X7 and AM3 amp, sounds TERRIFIC!

Regards

Nov 9, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #2,562 of 3,122
For future reference, what foam tips work best with the Angie? I decided to try the medium tips on my new Angies today - never previously being a fan of the foam. I was feeling air pressure build up from the silicone tips and perhaps a slightly off bass response. Decided to try the medium foam and they sound great, feel great. Thinking I need to get some spares in, so what brand comes with the Angie - JH own stuff? What other tips are comparable to a medium stock foam?

Thanks.

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #2,564 of 3,122
Nov 9, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #2,565 of 3,122
Has anyone had any issues with the build quality of the Angies II?

A couple of people have reported on the forums that their UIEM faceplates have fallen off their Roxannes, which is a little worrying considering they're flagship from JH Audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back