JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 15, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #2,522 of 3,122

There shouldn't be. As far as i'm aware, they both share the same sound quality. The only difference between the two is the build quality of the IEM and the included cable. 

Yes, but mainly slimmer shells => improved ergonomics, because Angies 1 are just huge and the nozzles have a weid angle/length.
Sound is unchanged indeed.

Oct 15, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #2,523 of 3,122

Yes, but mainly slimmer shells => improved ergonomics, because Angies 1 are just huge and the nozzles have a weid angle/length.
Sound is unchanged indeed.

Exactly! Consider the Angie 2 as a refined version of the original. Nothing more. Im still not sure it justifies the $400 price difference between the two, though 
tongue.gif

Oct 15, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #2,524 of 3,122
Angie Classic is big. But I didn't find it uncomfortable.

The nozzle angle is not much different than any other IEM, it goes right into down the ear canal.

Solar - U12 - Angie

Oct 15, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #2,525 of 3,122

The nozzle angle is not much different than any other IEM, it goes right into down the ear canal.

Solar - U12 - Angie

U12! That's a big feat! Fitting 12 drivers into such a small shell!! Do CIEM/UIEM manufacturers mention the dimensions of each BA or are all the BAs of same size and therefore universal? 

Oct 15, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #2,526 of 3,122

U12! That's a big feat! Fitting 12 drivers into such a small shell!! Do CIEM/UIEM manufacturers mention the dimensions of each BA or are all the BAs of same size and therefore universal? 

Nah, they don't reveal specs like that. Im also pretty sure BAs come in varying sizes albeit they're obviously still tiny. Anyhow, when I had the Angies (1st Gen), I found them more comfortable the the SE846 lol 

Oct 15, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #2,527 of 3,122

Tell me about it! I couldn't believe how much smaller these were compared to Angie. The U12 actually fits flush with me ear, depending on the tips I use. 64Audio is soon to release the an 18 driver IEM, which they claim will fit into a shell smaller than the U12. Just goes to show how much wasted space is inside Angie.

Balanced Armatures come in a variety of sizes. The Rhapsodio Solar uses two Big BAs for the bass, four medium size for Mids, and four iddy biddy drivers for the highs. Because my Solar has a translucent shell, I can count them all.

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #2,528 of 3,122

Nah, they don't reveal specs like that. Im also pretty sure BAs come in varying sizes albeit they're obviously still tiny. Anyhow, when I had the Angies (1st Gen), I found them more comfortable the the SE846 lol 

Me as well, except when you fall asleep with the Angies in.  The 846s are great night time fits.  The Angie still sounds much better, but sometimes, size matters.  Oops!

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #2,529 of 3,122
Tell me about it! I couldn't believe how much smaller these were compared to Angie. The U12 actually fits flush with me ear, depending on the tips I use. 64Audio is soon to release the an 18 driver IEM, which they claim will fit into a shell smaller than the U12. Just goes to show how much wasted space is inside Angie.

Balanced Armatures come in a variety of sizes. The Rhapsodio Solar uses two Big BAs for the bass, four medium size for Mids, and four iddy biddy drivers for the highs. Because my Solar has a translucent shell, I can count them all.

That's so romantic! Counting! I remember asking every kid in my class, when I was a kid myself, to open their mouths to count the broken teeth. No wonder clear/transulent shell CIEMS have so much love. :wink:

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #2,530 of 3,122

Me as well, except when you fall asleep with the Angies in.  The 846s are great night time fits.  The Angie still sounds much better, but sometimes, size matters.  Oops!

True that! I still cant wrap my head around the size of the Angies XD They're actually gargantuan. The sound makes up for it, though. 

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #2,532 of 3,122

Solar - U12 - Angie

If you look at it in 3D, the angle is slightly actually different from most universals.

Ergonomy is always tricky, and I'm glad the long nozzles fit your ears, but JH design for the first series of universal Angies/Laylas is far from being truely universal.
The longer you design nozzles, the less universal they'll be, it's just obvious.

Most universal IEMs with shorter nozzles are way more universal, because the fit will depend mostly on finding the right tips to get the seal before the first ear canal turn.
The Angies/Laylas nozzles bump directly into the first ear canal turn due to their significant length.
No such problem with U12, because the shell is much smaller and can be rotated in the conchas to find the right nozzle angle. You can barely rotate the Angies at all due to their humongous size, so the nozzle angle/length is really not adapted to all ears.

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #2,533 of 3,122
Getting off the nozzle train for a bit, I finally found some Spiral Dot tips that work with my original-design Angies.  I had tried the Large, couldn't get a good seal.  Tried the Small (which is the size I'm currently using for my Comply and Spin-fits) and couldn't get a good seal.  Just got some Mediums yesterday and so far I'm very impressed with the seal and the sound.  I haven't taken them out for a test walk yet (another heat wave here) but hopefully will do so Saturday morning while it is still relatively cool (7:00 am today it's 77 out).

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #2,534 of 3,122
Medium Spiral Dots work best for me on IEMs that can insert deeper, like Angie and U12. The Large are most useful for shallow insertion, like my IM03.

For my ears, that's the system that's proved successful. YMMV

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #2,535 of 3,122
Medium Spiral Dots work best for me on IEMs that can insert deeper, like Angie and U12. The Large are most useful for shallow insertion, like my IM03.

For my ears, that's the system that's proved successful. YMMV

Mine are ML size I guess about 13mm diameter, ver similar in size to the stock L size just as a reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back