JH-3A SIGHTINGS in the WILD
Dec 8, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #121 of 246

Quote:
Will the JH-3A always come with the adaptor cable, or is this just a temporary courtesy supplied for early adopters?

It was my understanding that pre-orders would receive the adapter cable for free.  When they shipped my unit, the adapter wasn't ready so was not included in my order.  It is now available on their website.  I don't know when they will ship my adapter.  I'm guessing that I will have to call them or nothing will happen!

Dec 10, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #122 of 246

Quote:
It was my understanding that pre-orders would receive the adapter cable for free.  When they shipped my unit, the adapter wasn't ready so was not included in my order.  It is now available on their website.  I don't know when they will ship my adapter.  I'm guessing that I will have to call them or nothing will happen!

Ya they are probably super busy like many small companies.  Reach out to them and I'm sure they will help you.  It's tough to keep track of so much, so it isn't a case of them not wanting.  I hope you aren't taking it personally.

On topic,  I just got an e-mail from Zac that the physical part is in hand and this is the final artwork for the molds.  Big kudos from Zac and again Beth.  He went through with multiple mock-ups of the artwork until we got to this result.

What do you guys think?

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #124 of 246
Has anyone found a good means of transporting their 3a rig? I haven't gotten much listening time with it as I am struggling with a way to transport it to work in a safe and secure manner. I looked at a bunch of camera/camcorder bags but nothing seemed quite right for a 3a+CLAS...

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #126 of 246
I use this for iPod Classic + CLAS + 3A: http://www.priceangels.com/NITEIZE-Stylish-Waterproof-Protective-Nylon-Bag-for-Digital-Camera-Black--s93071.html

The pouch in the front can be used for the IEMs and there are two pockets inside for cables (and user manuals in case TSA gets really curious!).   Sails through airport security!

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #127 of 246
I've compared the HM801/JH3A and CLAS/co-ax/JH3A and have reached my own personal conclusions on how they differ.
This is purely subjective and based on the limitations of my 56 year old ears.
Detail - no difference.
Separation - no difference.
Soundstage - no difference and, unsurprisingly less pronounced than Senn HD800/CLAS/iBasso/SR71B/balanced Twag.
Is there a difference? Yes.
Is it important? To my ears yes.
Having used my reference live recording of Brahms Violin concerto recorded at the Sage Gateshead (Northern Sinfonia; Thomas Zehetmair conductor/Soloist) I discovered something quite extraordinary. To explain I need to go back to the actual concert where I was struck, not only by Zehetmair's technical brilliance but also the emotional content. I've listened to the recording under a number of different setups: Griffin CD player/Stax srm 007t; HM801/Headroom portable desktop amp/HD800 as well as the above configurations. All impressive in different ways but only when listening via the HM801/JH3A did I noticed something the others did not provide. At first, I thought I must have misheard, and so replayed the section several times until I satisfied myself that I wasn't imagining things.
Finally, I concluded that the HM801/JH3A provided what I can only - and very poorly - describe as an emotional rendition of the soloist. The live recording is from 3 years ago and memories fade but for the first time, since the concert, I actually felt moved by the piece. Sure enough, there were no more details but the music appeared to be imbued with something which made the CLAS/JH3A combo seem, not 'cold' but less involving.
I was surprised, but I can assure you that it was real and each time I replayed the section there it was - I became emotionally involved with the music in a way that none of the other combos have done.
By the way, in response to a direct email I reported that I didn't think adjusting the bass control would have any effect - I was wrong. In all my classical listening, thus far I have found a 30 degree adjustment has enriched the sound.
Hope this is of some use to some of you.

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #128 of 246
I omitted to say that I used a very basic mini to mini interconnect. Following this experience I've ordered an eclipse mini to mini from Craig at Whiplash to see how that enhances the experience. If anyone is interested I will report back on that. If there is no response I won't bother reporting.

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #129 of 246
Definitely interested MDH3.

I am thinking about getting the HM801 to pair with a JH-3A and was thinking of a Whiplash interconnect because I can also get the Twag2 JH16 cable from them.

Would also be interested in any other connections other than mini to mini.

Dec 18, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #130 of 246
As far as I can tell the only connection between HM801 and JH3A is mini to mini. HM801(line out): JH3A (line in). I'm waiting for Eclipse 10", right angle connector from HM801 to straight connector into JH3A. 

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #132 of 246
Can someone please comment on their perceived difference between USB input versus SPDIF?  I am not sure my JH13s better the JH16s but they are often easier to listen with.  The JH16s are sometimes too hot for me.  What's everyone else feeling/hearing?.

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #133 of 246
TF1216: I tried JH-ša with Nufroce UDac-2 and Audio-GD DI and both are to my ears really better than USB input.

MDH3: Maybe Clas digital output is low quality? When I changed UDac-2 spdif out with Audio-GD it was significantly change in good way.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 19, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #134 of 246
As I thought I indicated, the details and quality were indistinguishable. The only difference was in the - for want of a better phrase - 'emotional content' of the solo, that and the fact that the HM801 used 44 FLAC as opposed to Apple lossless.

Dec 19, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #135 of 246
best way to listen to the 3a by a country mile is via computer and a quality usb to spdif convertor like the Halide or the Stello units. The direct usb is harsher sounding to me and is most likely a result of the usb implementation. The analog in better than the usb in but again both lose to the spdif input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back