JH-16's bass compared too...
Feb 24, 2011 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Hydrocharged

100+ Head-Fier
How would you compare the bass of the JH-16's to, say, the TF10 and XB500? Yes, I know they are two completely different headphones, but I have both and am very, very interested in these customs and need to know about their bass response. Thanks!

Feb 25, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 10
JH16 has amore bass than any headphones,I've heard including every IEM,L3000,LCD2 and ultrazone ED9,sometime I've felt the Bass of JH16 is too much for me (I've come from the JH13)
I've never heard the Sony XB ,so no comment here.
If you read somewhere ,that for example  JH13 has small amount of bass ,I just want to tell you that is just a reference to something like JH16 or UE18 (maybe UE11),TF10 have far less Bass than the JH13. ( I didn't compare them directly but I used to own both and the different is easy to notice)
The CIEM in Gereral (the ES5 too ) has better quality and more bass quantity than universal IEM.

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
JH16 has amore bass than any headphones,I've heard including every IEM,L3000,LCD2 and ultrazone ED9,sometime I've felt the Bass of JH16 is too much for me (I've come from the JH13)
I've never heard the Sony XB ,so no comment here.
If you read somewhere ,that for example  JH13 has small amount of bass ,I just want to tell you that is just a reference to something like JH16 or UE18 (maybe UE11),TF10 have far less Bass than the JH13. ( I didn't compare them directly but I used to own both and the different is easy to notice)
The CIEM in Gereral (the ES5 too ) has better quality and more bass quantity than universal IEM.

Interestingly, a head-fi'er got the jh16 and posted saying it had less bass than the monster turbine pro copper.
I thought this was due to the fact that a dynamic driver (mtpc) moves the air and gives a real sense of bass energy that even a quad-armature bass design (the jh16 has four of its eight armatures for bass) can't, although in other ways a $1250 custom will have better things about its bass.

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #8 of 10
I just got my JH16 after listening to triple fis for 2 years. JH!6 definitely have stronger hitting bass which sounds even bigger sounding when you turn the volume up and takes alot more to distort. I tried to make them distort but my ears couldn't take it anymore and i could actually feel my cheeks vibrating its that strong maybe due to the bone conductivity.I don't think it has too much bass. It's perfect for me but I like a little more on the bottom end (That's what he said).In some bass heavy songs I even boost the lower end a bit to give it a more live feel without having to turn them up

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
JH-16: With one more bass driver and 2 more mid/treble drivers the JH16 seems like a more exciting offering, not to mention the price tag that is 2X the 5X.  The JH16 does have more detail with its more laid back yet brighter sound signature and wider presentation, but the 5X has a more 3D presentation with better depth and height to the presentation.  Overall the presentation is different in other ways since the JH16 has a thinner, more analytical note and more apparent speed.  The JH16 is also more punchy and dynamic, like it or not, compared with the more natural sounding 5Xt that can punch when asked to by the track.  Clarity of the JH16 is more set in that regardless of the track you will get a good deal of clarity while with the 5X the clarity changes on a track by track basis 

Bass enhancement of the JH16 is always on while the 5X enhancement is not to the same level, but the 5X does have the ability to reproduce a lot of bass when called for, but ultimately not up to the level of the JH16.  The combination of speed and punch with the JH16 gives it a uniqueness to the bass that the 5X approaches but still doesn't reach.  The JH16 also doesn't sound quite as natural with acoustic drums as the 5X has a more natural decay, so both have their strengths.  With a more forward midrange, the 5X offers a nice warmth and richness in contrast to a more analytical, yet still liquid presentation of the JH16.  The upper midrange of the JH16 is more pronounced along with the treble.  Again, the presentation is different with the 5X having a thicker note on average vs. the more analytical sounding JH16.  Take note that the differences aren't huge in presentation, but the comparisons bring out the contrast.  The advantages of the detail really are apparent in the treble region, although the midrange detail levels are close.

Overall the 5X compares well to the JH16 IMO for the price, and while it isn't exactly on the same level it has a somewhat similar presentation of the bass and treble, but the other differences are many.  I could see people being happy with either depending on their budget, preferences, and use.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/579760/dream-earz-aud-5x-custom-iem-review-pure-value-565

Users who are viewing this thread

Back