JH-13 + what PMP/DAP?
Aug 22, 2011 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FLAC Cannon

New Head-Fier
After slogging through the forums trying to find a comprehensive answer to the question of what DAP/PMP would be a good choice for JH-13 IEMs, I do not have that answer. I've read a thread that said "go for ES5 with the Cowon J3" and one where someone was initially against the JH13/J3 combo but warmed up to, but nothing that really gets detailed about pairing up the JH13.

I've been happily using Denon AH-D2000 cans with my iBasso D10 as a desktop setup; for moving around, I'm using my Cowon D2 until I can find a bleeding microUSB cable to charge my i9. I'm finally in a position to seriously consider a custom IEM, and what with all the praise surrounding the JH13s I am confident they will make a good choice.

Generally speaking, my preference leans to uncoloured sound; EQ has an extremely limited appeal to me. Nevertheless, the Cowon players offer a decent storage capacity, I can manage the interface, the battery life is better than anything I'm aware of, and now with newer models there is increasingly capable video functionality and AMOLED screens! While I'm intruiged at what the Sflo:2 and Hifiman series may have to offer in terms of sound quality, the combination of poor battery life, the Sflo:2's notorious interface, and the Hifiman's size and audio-exclusive functionality might be deal breakers for me. How do people work with ~8hrs battery life? Switchable batteries? This is the same reason I shy away from portable amps and such; it doesn't matter how long my source can last if my amp only has 8-10hrs.

If there are any JH13 owners reading, perhaps you could give your thoughts on DAP/PMPs that are a good choice for these IEMs.

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 7
Update: I've committed to the JH-13! Impressions are in the mail; I assume it'll be 2-3 weeks before the unit arrives. Based on the comments of dfkt on the anythingbutipod forums, the only difference between newer Cowon players and their older counterparts would appear to be a reduction in hiss. I'm heavily leaning towards a J3 now, as the D3 is too crippled and alternatives however strong in SQ are more expensive, offer less storage, less battery life, and lack an attractive interface.I'm still curious to know of anything I have perhaps overlooked on the market that could offer a competitve package of the aformentioned factors; please feel free to chime in if you do know of such a thing.

Aug 30, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 7
If you do not plan on ever getting an amp or not for awhile than I would say the Sony X series or the Cowon J3. I've heard some people saying the s master mx amp in the new sony A series are equal to the sony x series s master amp so thats good news. But they only come in 16gb with no card slot and no oled anymore. The X series is a sexy beast. The J3 has a ton of nice features too. I think you would be happy with either one.

If you plan on using a nice iem amp (pico slim would pair beautifully with this iem) Then you want a player with a quality line out connection. Ipod's work pretty well especially if you get a CLAS or fostex HP-P1 to get pure digital off the ipod and convert with high quality dacs and then amplify. The j3 has no line out so you have to run amps off the HP out which really isn't ideal.

Aug 30, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the input! I actually own an iBasso D10 for my desktop setup; it's a preamp for my Audioengine A2s and drives my Denon AH-D2000 cans. I've never had any PMP with a line out to try it with, but I've been fairly satisfied with its performance so far (stock op amp; I notice more detail and tighter bass than the Cowons). How would you compare your ipod-pico slim's SQ with the J3?

Aug 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 7
I haven't got to hear the j3 but I have heard the s9 which is basically the same exact sq has the j3. Ipod + lod + pico slim gives a more balanced sound with a larger sound stage. There is more separation between all the instruments which makes stuff seem clearer. The unamped s9 isn't a slouch tho. Slightly less bass (small degree of bass roll off for low impedance iem's). Sound seems a little more congested. These observations are very nit picky because overall they both do sound excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back