JH 13 Lacking Bass, Disappointed, How to fix
Feb 13, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #31 of 59
Sounds brilliant, that is what I want to hear as I'm within the first 100 on the preorder list for the Slim and have just placed the order for JH13 2 days ago and the source will be my 2009 Classic or a D10 fed optical from an older pcdp.

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #32 of 59
The D10 would definitely be a nice addition to your portable rig.

Feb 13, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #33 of 59
In 502 pages of the JH13 appreciation thread, AFAIK no one had an issue with bass. Now the 16's come along and people are glibbly telling the OP to "upgrade" Sheesh!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 14, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #34 of 59
If I were to wait for the pico slim, and I used that with my iriver h140, could I also use my remote for it (deal breaker for me reason why I use this player), I know if I had the ibasso d10 I could as it uses optical out on the iriver.

Also would this cable be best used to connect the pico slim up to my iriver, if I do decide to get the pico slim.

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #35 of 59
The JH13's are very nuetral, I find that on some songs the bass is very prominent while on others it is more subdued. It seems like however the recording was mastered is what you'll hear. Listening to Lady Gaga "Dance In The Dark" and the bass is pounding, I assume it was mastered that way since it's a dance/ club song but on some songs by other artists the bass doesn't have the same impact. You hear the material as it was intended to be heard I guess.

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #36 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyboyni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, I have just purchased Some JH 13 pro in ear monitors to replace my Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10.

I am currently using my monitors through a iriver h 140.

I have noticed the wider sound stage on my JH 13, but it lacks the boom of bass I had with the triplefi 10, and I like nice bass.

So what are my options to increase the bass on my JH 13, does it mean I must buy a portable headphone amp, which one?, I was thinking getting the ibasso d10 too pair up with my iriver with its optical out.

Also would getting replacement cable for my JH 13 pro help, was thinking about getting Elite TWag Replacement Cable 48".

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sure you have a good seal?

Brad

Ps: The Twag is a fantastic aftermarket cable.

Feb 19, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #37 of 59
Quote:

If I were to wait for the pico slim, and I used that with my iriver h140, could I also use my remote for it (deal breaker for me reason why I use this player), I know if I had the ibasso d10 I could as it uses optical out on the iriver.

Also would this cable be best used to connect the pico slim up to my iriver, if I do decide to get the pico slim.

another alternative would be a TWag one from whiplash cables, it might be cheaper.

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #38 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by krismusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In 502 pages of the JH13 appreciation thread, AFAIK no one had an issue with bass. Now the 16's come along and people are glibbly telling the OP to "upgrade" Sheesh!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think Ultrasone needs to start making customs haha

Feb 19, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #39 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that straight out of my iRiver or iPod the JH13's bass certainly isn't big. But when I hooked it up to an amp (SR-71) the bass suddenly became very big and full. Surprisingly so. I personally felt it was too much bass, but seems you have a preference for it. Have you tried the JH 13 with an amp at all?

OT. Hiya jjcha!

Feb 19, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #40 of 59
Quote:

Hello, I have just purchased Some JH 13 pro in ear monitors to replace my Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10.

I am currently using my monitors through a iriver h 140.

I have noticed the wider sound stage on my JH 13, but it lacks the boom of bass I had with the triplefi 10, and I like nice bass.

So what are my options to increase the bass on my JH 13, does it mean I must buy a portable headphone amp, which one?, I was thinking getting the ibasso d10 too pair up with my iriver with its optical out.

Also would getting replacement cable for my JH 13 pro help, was thinking about getting Elite TWag Replacement Cable 48".

Thanks for any suggestions.

I also wished for slightly more bass from the JH13 when listening to it unamped out of my iPhone. I have since had a refit, which helped when listening unamped.

However, to me, an amp makes all the difference. Using the TTVJ Portable, the bass on the JH13 slams. It's not boomy, but still has that satisfying bump when it goes low.

So I recommend an amp. I also don't recommend looking to cables to make a big difference, if any.

Feb 19, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #41 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oomingmak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The JH13's are very nuetral, I find that on some songs the bass is very prominent while on others it is more subdued. It seems like however the recording was mastered is what you'll hear. Listening to Lady Gaga "Dance In The Dark" and the bass is just pounding. I assume it was mastered that way since it's a dance/ club song but on some songs by other artists the bass doesn't have the same impact so you hear the material as it was intended to be heard I guess.

This is exactly how I feel about the JH13's. I thought they were fairly neutral as well and everything sounded as it should. I find that a cello is fairly difficult to get right. The JH13's made a cello sound like a cello - an extremely beautiful cello. John Lennon is also hard to get right and he sounded alive on the JH13's. I played some stuff with low bass and low and behold - it sounded just right.

The JH13 is like Goldilocks. It gets everything juuusssst right....
biggrin.gif

One of the reasons I am dying to get them.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #42 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is exactly how I feel about the JH13's. I thought they were fairly neutral as well and everything sounded as it should. I find that a cello is fairly difficult to get right. The JH13's made a cello sound like a cello - an extremely beautiful cello. John Lennon is also hard to get right and he sounded alive on the JH13's. I played some stuff with low bass and low and behold - it sounded just right.

The JH13 is like Goldilocks. It gets everything juuusssst right....
biggrin.gif

One of the reasons I am dying to get them.
tongue_smile.gif

Well said. Acoustic string instruments are the hardest to capture and display right. Am getting a pair of JH13 for sure, sounds just like what I want...after living with the Shure SE530.
Of course if they make John Lennon sound alive, thats rather impressive, I'd better start listening to Elvis..! (forgive the pun).

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #43 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I recommend an amp. I also don't recommend looking to cables to make a big difference, if any.

I beg to differ. I got my SCSAg cable yesterday and even I noticed a much improved sound stage and details that the stock cable couldn't deliver. In fact, I found two albums that were totally distorted with the new cable that I didn't hear on the stock cable. I got my cable from Quasp here on head-fi. Looks way too sexy for me to be using. hehe

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #44 of 59
ChicagoNB. What is "much improved?" I don't mean to be skeptical of your observation, yet I want to know how big of a difference you are talking here... When I read "much improved," I think of the difference between a hi-fi component and something like Bose. So, given your high-end resume, can you compare the difference between your stock and SCSAg cable in a broader context? I ask because I see lots of hyperbolic comments about "huge differences" that are more likely relatively minor sonic differences. Thanks.

Feb 25, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #45 of 59
How sure are you of the improvement with the recable? As sure as it was as if you had switched out your current amp for another amp? This isn't meant to sound hostile, I'm genuinely interested 'cause I may get one just to see.

I've always been a bit wary of recables (especially ones which require the headphones to be shipped back and forth), since I think our ability to remember audio is bad enough that placebo plays a huge part when the time difference between before and after is that long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back