Jet Li's "The One" DVD
May 1, 2002 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a few movies that I picked up on DVD recently and haven't seen. This was one of them until last weekend when I decided not to go out since it was cold and raining in Chicago. I have to say that this movie was awesome. The fighting was incredible and the special effects were great. I'll have to pick up the soundtrack, too. This movie seemed to be very short though at about 80 minutes long. Two thumbs up for The One.

B00005V1WW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

May 1, 2002 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 13
This was one of the worst movies i've ever seen in my life, total waste of my $10. The storyline was seriously lacking and the acting? Well, it stunk.

May 1, 2002 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 13
This is why I would love to be a movie critic. It's all based on your taste. I thought movies like Pulp Fiction, Fight Club and Almost Famous etc.. were total crap. These are movies that a lot of people thought were great and I just didn't see what was so great about them.

May 1, 2002 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 13
I liked Kiss of The Dragon very much - Jet Li rocks in this movie.

May 1, 2002 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
I liked Kiss of The Dragon very much - Jet Li rocks in this movie.

Yes it was an excellent movie, in fact, it beat both The Legend & First of Legend as my favorite Jet Li film.

May 1, 2002 at 5:11 PM Post #7 of 13
if you want to see some REAL jet li movies check out:

"fist of legend": the ultimate bone-cracking kung-fu movie. if you think you've seen the best kung-fu with jackie chan or bruce lee, "fist of legend" may change your mind.

"high risk": one of the last and greatest of the pre-china hong-kong insanity fests. this is the hong-kong version of "high risk" with jet li. must be seen to be believed.

i never bothered seeing "the one". i could tell from the previews it looked cheesy.

<rant>
my problem with movies like "the one" is they are using bullet time from "the matrix" (when time seems to slow down). now, this works in "the matrix" because the story is all about using your mind to change the "reality" of the matrix, which allows you to dodge bullets, etc. when other movies throw in "bullet time", it is just for the visual candy, and it cheapens a once great effect. it's like the film makers were like "ooo, look what we can do! just like the matrix!!". in the immortal words of jeff goldblum from "jurassic park": "you were so preoccupied with whether or not you could, you didn't stop to think if you should."
</rant>

May 1, 2002 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 13
the 'once upon a time in china' movies are a must for jet-li fans.

the story line in 'the one' was seriously unfulfilling. my friend told me there was more to the story, but the guys who edited the movie must have cut out a lot.

May 1, 2002 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 13
i didn't see that movie for the simple fact that i looked horrible. i have a theory, that whenever i see a trailer for a movie and i am completely confused as to what the movie is about by the end of the trailer.. it sucks. it also looked like a heavy-duty matrix rip-off.

and i don't care how many ways he could kick my ass, jet li talks like somebody is stepping on his nuts.

May 1, 2002 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 13
My favorite Jet Li movies are Black Mask and Kiss of the Dragon. Both had a great storylines, and Black Mask just had some insanely kick ass fighting scenes.

May 1, 2002 at 10:14 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
This is why I would love to be a movie critic. It's all based on your taste. I thought movies like Pulp Fiction, Fight Club and Almost Famous etc.. were total crap. These are movies that a lot of people thought were great and I just didn't see what was so great about them.

Just goes to show how, er...different some people's "tastes" are.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Pulp Fiction was a good movie, Fight Club? I couldn't get into it at the time, i never saw Almost Famous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back