JenaLab recabled R10
May 1, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #586 of 626
This thread delivers.

Anyway, I scanned the last 10 pages, and I don't think that this has been mentioned yet:

Quote:

At this time JENA Labs is not going to be custom modifying any more products as it is just not a situation were we have full control of all of the parameters of manufacture.
In part this can be highlighted by an unfortunate incident regarding a set of headphones involved in the review above. To many cooks in the kitchen.

However independent of any and all uncontrollable situations of custom reworking of other peoples products, is the reality of the superior performance of our Ultra Wire.

So we are bringing to market a new product.
A pre-made headphone harness for installation by other manufactures or those so inclined to install for themselves the best headphone cable available.

The Avenger headphone harness - will be made for easy installation by any competent technician or the talented owner themselves if they feel so inclined.
A variety of installation components will be included in this kit.

- More details will follow as the product is developed.

From jenalabs headphone mod for sony R10, updated April 30 - 08

It seems that Jenalabs has decided to get their nose out of jobs that they are too incompetent to adequately perform.

May 1, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #587 of 626
What has any of this got to do with ALO? Their products are great. Why should one companies apparent error effect another?

May 1, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #588 of 626
The Avenger headphone harness? Truly doubt that. When this catastrophe makes its round to all the audio forums I doubt Jenalabs will still be in the snake oil business. Whether its HP, ICs, speakers or power cables.

May 1, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #589 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What has any of this got to do with ALO? Their products are great. Why should one companies apparent error effect another?

It is because Jenna has been bleed dry, and to keep this perverse Drama going "they" have to find another company that could just possibly be involved.

This thread has run it's course and should be closed before another whitchhunt can be started.

May 1, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #590 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ALO uses Jena Labs wire, by buying products with this cable from ALO you would be indirectly supporting Jena Labs which I'm sure after all this would make more than a few Head-Fier's uncomfortable, hence it becomes a catch 22. It's unfortunate that ALO gets caught in the middle but as 909 suggested offering a non Jena wire alternative might go a long way to alleviating any backlash he might inadvertently feel from all this.

May 1, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #591 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by 883dave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is because Jenna has been bleed dry, and to keep this perverse Drama going "they" have to find another company that could just possibly be involved.

This thread has run it's course and should be closed before another whitchhunt can be started.

X2.

May 1, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #592 of 626
Quote:

I don't think there are many people, if any, who are actually suggesting ALO had any type of involvement with what happened, it's more of an unfortunate occurrence that could indirectly affect their sales.

May 1, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #593 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think there are many people, if any, who are actually suggesting ALO had any type of involvement with what happened, it's more of an unfortunate occurrence that could indirectly affect their sales.

Read reply #581.

This is the nonsense that I was refering too...

Lets close this thread before the Witchhunt continues

May 1, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #594 of 626
Quote:

Read reply #581.

This is the nonsense that I was refering too...

Lets close this thread before the Witchhunt continues

I admit I thought he was initially joking in his earlier posts and missed that most recent one, regardless though, it's one person and one person does not constitute a witch hunt.

May 1, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #595 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still don't understand why Ken agreed with Janna about Boilfrog recabled R10's sounding wonderful.. & "The Best I heard", When the owner clearly stated that the headphones sounded very muffled, among other things.. Maybe Ken is covering for Jenna?

People perceive things differently. What may sound muffled to one person may sound wonderful to another (e.g. the Sennheiser veil). This doesn't make either person wrong in their assessment of said headphones.

May 1, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #596 of 626
If I was Ken from ALO, I'd try to distance myself as much as possible, I'd try to find another supplier ASAP.

There is no way I'd ever give my money to JL, and that includes buying their products through ALO. JL will probably continue to thrive despite head-fi'ers scorn whereas ALO will probably suffer the most if he continues to sell products using their parts.

May 1, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #597 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't fall into Jena's trap of including Ken in this. He really has no reason to be blamed.

I really don't understand this. Ken gave a very positive review of headphones that were flawed. I feel like someone should be responsible for the quality of their reviews. Too many people just get whatever product they can to review, give it as positive a review as possible and hope to get more. When was the last time you read a BAD review on some audiophile gear by someone in the industry? Don't you think you don't read these because if the reviewer published them they would stop getting gear to review? I have heard "this $400 amp/dac/whatever beats many $2000 amp/dac/whatever's" and it is just an attempt to hype a product as much as possible. I believe if someone gives a broken set of headphones an incredibly positive review they should be held responsible for the content of their review being bogus. I am not saying Ken should take blame for the incident itself or that JL paid him off or whatever people are insinuating, but he should take the blame for a poor, incorrect review.

May 1, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #598 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by PITTM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't understand this. Ken gave a very positive review of headphones that were flawed. I feel like someone should be responsible for the quality of their reviews. Too many people just get whatever product they can to review, give it as positive a review as possible and hope to get more. When was the last time you read a BAD review on some audiophile gear by someone in the industry? Don't you think you don't read these because if the reviewer published them they would stop getting gear to review? I have heard "this $400 amp/dac/whatever beats many $2000 amp/dac/whatever's" and it is just an attempt to hype a product as much as possible. I believe if someone gives a broken set of headphones an incredibly positive review they should be held responsible for the content of their review being bogus. I am not saying Ken should take blame for the incident itself or that JL paid him off or whatever people are insinuating, but he should take the blame for a poor, incorrect review.

I'm sorry but I don't necessarily agree with this at all, there's no evidence to say the headphones were actually broken when Ken reviewed them, to say his review was incorrect would IMO be.... well... incorrect. It's obvious Ken likes the sound of Jena wire so it stands to reason he would like a headphone recabled with it but it doesn't necessarily mean that BoilingFrog would have to have the same opinion.

As for your comments about positive reviews I suspect the reason is many professional reviewers will send back an item if they really don't think it's up to an expected standard therefore we don't tend to see many really negative reviews. That is speculation on my part though. I'm not a professional reviewer but I've done a few for the site and I know I wouldn't post an overly negative review of a product, instead I would send it back to the supplier with reasons why.

May 1, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #599 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for your comments about positive reviews I suspect the reason is many professional reviewers will send back an item if they really don't think it's up to an expected standard therefore we don't tend to see many really negative reviews.

i've heard this as well. i'm sure there is some truth to it.

May 1, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #600 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by PITTM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

that's harsh as there are so many variables when it comes to listening impressions and likely in this particular situation the unknown/unclear factors could have resulted in this positive MOT review. however, we shouldn't fault a manufacturer that's in the business of selling the very thing they are critiquing by offering a positive spin as it has the potential to better their bank account. under such a context, consumers must realize they are being sold and they have to rely on their own ears, people that have proven themselves or at least ears they trust. if anything, when a manufacturer doesn't offer a trial period/return policy and especially when it's clouded under the title "return and exchanges" but rambles on and buries it right before the very end that they do NOT accept returns or exchanges doesn't bode well or garner much confidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back