Jena Labs cable for Sennheiser HD800
Sep 5, 2009 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

greenhorn

Headphoneus Supremus
I see that some very expensive aftermarket cables for Sennheiser HD800 are based on cables coming from Jena Labs - covered with a nice black nylon.

What's the word about Jena Labs' work quality and general reliability nowadays? One year ago they messed badly both with a Sony R10 AND with managing the conflict with the unhappy customer:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4126483-post62.html

Was that an isolate incident, are they now considered a company more or less "OK"? The way they are blowing their own trumpet about how fantastic their wires are keeps me on the skeptical side.

Sep 6, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 49
I think we must differentiate between the aftermarket cables produced using Jena Labs wire, and having Jena Labs itself actually perform the mods/recable on a headphone. From memory I believe that it was the latter that caused the issues; and was not related to the quality of the wire itself (I may be mistaken - stranger things have happened
wink.gif
- so please correct me if wrong).

I think one of the advantages of the HD800 over other headphones too is the detatchable cable, meaning that one would not need to send in the headphones or have them physically modified / hard-wired...you can simply purchase the aftermarket cable and plug in.

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #3 of 49
Be sure to look up how much cryogenic treatment actually costs. If you live in or near an industrial city, you should be able to find a company that cryogenically treats tools. I haven't had cables treated, but I have had handplane blades treated.

That cost $4.

I doubt a cable would cost more.

Ask yourself why a company would charge those prices for a process that costs the equivalent of a Big Mac meal.

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 49
My friend made a call to a company who cryo tools. It's pretty expansive don't remember the price but was high enough I was not tempted to send them a cable for just testing.

Sep 6, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #10 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may wish to read up in places like:

Yeah, if you like reading a bunch of unsubstantiated claims.

k

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #11 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My friend made a call to a company who cryo tools. It's pretty expansive don't remember the price but was high enough I was not tempted to send them a cable for just testing.

Do you remember the company and a ballpark figure they quoted?

It generally costs very little. Labor is next to nothing.

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, if you like reading a bunch of unsubstantiated claims.

k

Besides criticizing and attacking what do you have to offer? If nothing go back under the rock you crawled out of.
rolleyes.gif
Either provide value by participating in the discussion or just shut up.

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #13 of 49
from jobshop:

Quote:

"A normal metallograph shows no changes," says Pete Paulin, CEO of 300 Below Cryogenic Tempering Services, Inc., Decatur, Illinois. "Nor do common tests like eddy current, ultrasonics, or Barkhausen effect belie the fact that the part has been cryo processed." For these reasons, Paulin says, the process is difficult to fit within the normal parameters of a quality control system.
As a result, the advantages of what began as Space Age technology many years ago are still largely unknown to many within the manufacturing industry.

Lol. Stupid industry, never having heard of changing the temperature of metals!

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #14 of 49
Sep 6, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Besides criticizing and attacking what do you have to offer?

What I have to offer is pointing out that empty claims have absolutely nothing to offer.

And since the links you provided have nothing but empty claims with regard to cryogenics and audio, I guess the question goes back to you.

What do you have to offer?

k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back