Jeff Buckley and Diana Krall, isn't that music that's supposed to sound nice?
Oct 2, 2009 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

niemion

100+ Head-Fier
Now before I got my new earmuffs I never ever thought about Grace as a terribly recorded album, but now I hear that Jeff's voice is totally raped on this popular world-class album. Take Hallelujah for example, you can hear clipping throughout the song and it evolves to the point of the ridiculous just before 6:00 min.

I have always liked Diana Krall's albums and found them well engineered, but take I Get Along Without You Very Well from The Look Of Love. At around 1:23, once again disastrous clipping.

I know about the Loudness War but have never really realized what all the fuzz was about. Now it's come to the point that I can't really stand to hear some of my favorites anymore, literally. The clipping makes me uncomfortable, it gives me headache and it simply takes the joy away from the music.

Hear for yourself (stripped down versions, so the minute marks mentioned doesn't apply):

Diana Krall clipping
Jeff Buckley clipping

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 36
Krall, in bold:

But I get along without you very well

I've forgotten you just like I should
Of course I have

Buckley: At 5:57, It's the fifth Hallelujah (in reverse order). Just one example of many, this is the worst.

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by niemion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Krall, in bold:

But I get along without you very well

I've forgotten you just like I should
Of course I have

Buckley: At 5:57, It's the fifth Hallelujah (in reverse order). Just one example of many, this is the worst.

Hmm, I can hear what you're talking about on the Krall clip, it's kind of a croak. I can do that with my voice, though that doesn't preclude any clipping.

edit: The Buckley clip sounds like real clipping to me. I'm using an MS-1 out of laptop hp-out by the way.

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This. I'm not really sure what the problem is, and I don't think my ears are that bad.

If you can't trust your ears, give your eyes a shot
beerchug.gif

Another visualization of the Krall clipping

Oct 2, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by dompower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you notice the clipping before or after you ran it through audacity?

Read the original post and let that answer your question.

Welcome
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #12 of 36
did you listen to the original recording of Grace, or the newer remastered Legacy edition? The latter has much better SQ imho...although im too lazy atm to find my copy of the Legacy version and check if it has clipping in the mark you mentioned

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by reorx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you listen to the original recording of Grace, or the newer remastered Legacy edition? The latter has much better SQ imho...although im too lazy atm to find my copy of the Legacy version and check if it has clipping in the mark you mentioned

I listened to the 1994 edition, the 2004 legacy edition sounds the same to me in terms of lacking headroom. Quite terrible. Quite.

Quote:

I thought the original had much better quality sound and the Legacy Edition was Mastered in brickwall 2004 fashion.

To me it makes no sense to talk about which one has the better sound quality. Both albums are horrible.

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by niemion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to the 1994 edition, the 2004 legacy edition sounds the same to me in terms of lacking headroom. Quite terrible. Quite.

To me it makes no sense to talk about which one has the better sound quality. Both albums are horrible.

I'm convinced that you either have a strangely defective disc or a newly mastered copy, because I've listened to Grace for over a decade and I've never noticed any clipping. I will admit that the mastering of the CD issues are a bit bright, but what you may be associating with "clipping" could be microphone tube saturation. Andy Wallace was the engineer, mixer and producer of Grace, he also worked Nirvana's Nevermind as well as Ben Folds' Whatever and Ever Amen..............he is known for having an immaculate ear in terms of creating a audiophile quality recording. Of all the albums, Grace was his baby because he played all three roles. I can't convince you what you're hearing is wrong, because you may be absolutely right that it is clipping, but you'd be of the select few that ever noticed this...............P.S. I believe the NEW non-legacy pressing of Grace borrows the remastered pressing which may be why it's clipping for you, this has been in circulation for 8 years. I believe the remastered edition is poorly mastered. The original is audiophile reference with the exception of having a bright edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back