Jecklin Float model 2 and mono recordings: bliss!
Oct 28, 2008 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

REB

Headphoneus Supremus
A few months ago, there was a short thread (which I can’t seem to locate anymore...) about what headphones would be best for old mono recordings. Headphones that wouldn’t be too unforgiving and make it impossible to listen past the hisses, cracks, volume and speed variations and other noises, but that would at the same time also not smother the original recording in a well-meant layer of warm forgiveness.

Several phones were mentioned, such as the Grado line-up (still haven’t heard those, I’m afraid. Looks-wise they’d be perfect for music from the ‘30s of course) and the HD600. I tried the HD600 in the meantime and although it is a wonderful headphone, it’s not really strong with those old recordings. Neither are any of the AKG’s I’ve tried (all open models except the K601). But I finally found the perfect phone for vintage mono recordings.

Some time ago I acquired a Jecklin Float model one, which is a nice phone, but not very "sophisticated" (anymore?). Its sound however was very ‘vintagy’. Then last week a model two (purchased from Duggeh) arrived. I’ve tested it with all kinds of music and it is significantly better than the model one. But what’s most important for me, it also has that vintage sound the model one has. I am now listening to the soundtrack from Pennies From Heaven which features mono recordings from the ‘20s to the early ‘40s and I am now sure that this is the perfect pair of headphones for this music. It’s detailed, so the cracks and everything are still there (as they should be), but the sound does not have the exaggerated and painfully shrill treble of the AKG models (only with these old recordings, let me hasten to add!) or an extorted bass. Sound presentation is balanced across the sound spectrum and there is more soundstage than I would have thought possible.

I took some time before writing this post to make sure the new toy syndrome’s initial thrill of owning a new pair of headphones would have worn off. It has by now but the great vintage sound is still there. I am now listening to A Fine Romance by Fred Astaire and I’m tapping along…
biggrin.gif

The only drawback is that I’m wearing this contraption in my office and since I’m on ground floor level, some people visiting the botanical garden outside my window stop and stare at me, as if I’m part of the attractions offered in the garden. Oh well…

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 8
Interesting to read about such a different perspective to the norm. While most of us are searching for the most transparent and revealing setup, while remaining musical you are trying to fine tune a somewhat 'filtered' sound while still keeping musical. I've never really heard much about the Jecklins with my exposure being limited to the comical pictures that float around on the forums
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the read and hope you keep enjoying your music.
Jake

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightStalker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting to read about such a different perspective to the norm. While most of us are searching for the most transparent and revealing setup, while remaining musical you are trying to fine tune a somewhat 'filtered' sound while still keeping musical. I've never really heard much about the Jecklins with my exposure being limited to the comical pictures that float around on the forums
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the read and hope you keep enjoying your music.
Jake

....x2 (anyone?)

yeah, honestly if I'd seen that thread, I'dve said HD 580's, since thats what I use for older recordings and enjoy, but very interesting read about use of the jecklins than to (re)create more than your favorite head-fi picture
tongue.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the reactions, guys. I've got a pair of HD600 which are pretty close to the HD580s, but I wanted a less warm sound for 30s music. For older jazz recordings from say the 50s the HD600s are great.

The Jecklins are funny cans, but they serve me very well at the moment!

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reactions, guys. I've got a pair of HD600 which are pretty close to the HD580s, but I wanted a less warm sound for 30s music. For older jazz recordings from say the 50s the HD600s are great.

The Jecklins are funny cans, but they serve me very well at the moment!

yeah, I wasn't saying the HD 580/600 is the requirement, my point was that I would've thought the same way, and ++ to you for figuring out something abstract and unique

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It’s detailed, so the cracks and everything are still there (as they should be)...

I found Jecklins to be revealing too. Some guitar music like Dire Straits and some 50-60's jazz are my preferrable jenres in Jecklins
duggehsmile.png

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #7 of 8
REB, how is the sound of this Jecklin, compared to your other cans?
Generally speaking.....

Oct 30, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
REB, how is the sound of this Jecklin, compared to your other cans?
Generally speaking.....

Hi Tiemen,

Generally speaking it's detailed, with a very good soundstage (not necessarily very wide, but realistic), good punch and impact, but ever so slightly darkish/muddly in the higher mids and highs. This probably gives it its vintage sound. The highs are slightly lacking and with old mono recordings that turns out to be a bliss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back