JDSLabs C421 Preorder is live...
Aug 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #556 of 692
Oh, you will be having the combo which I really want to pair if I have a chance, is Dragonfly and C421 OPA2227. Waiting for your thought about the results when you pair with Sennheiser HD25-1 II and Westtone 4. Thanks a lot BobJS.

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #557 of 692
Hey guys, I recently just ordered a new pair of Terminator V4 headphones(Darth Beyers). Do you guys think they would sound good powered by a C421? I was thinking of getting the 2227 one. I would also get it with a matching odac. All these years I've only listened to music through my X-Fi sound card so I'm anxious to hear the difference.

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #558 of 692
Quote:
Oh, really? Then C421s probably have more than enough power to drive my Sennheiser HD 598 without problems at all at low gain. I am saving money to buy C421 - OPA2227. However, I am considering which 3.5mm interconnect cable I should buy with C421 on JDSLabs website?

This one Fiio L2 http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=L2 or this one iSimple http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=ISVE913 . Which one is better? My DAC now is Fiio E10. Thanks for answer this question.

I got the L2, I didn't order the C421 yet though. I ordered the odac first and on my next check I'm ordering the C421(2227). Another really nice interconnect I saw online was this one: http://www.practicaldevices.com/cables.htm I may get it as well even though it's more expensive and just use the one I like more. I figured I'd post it because before I found this thread it was hard for me to find quality short mini to mini cables.

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #559 of 692
Oh. There are not too many choices of choosing interconnections in my country so I am going to buy this interconnection. I think it is better than Fiio L2.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv196/nhatminh2007/ic2.jpg

from this manufacture http://www.cryo-parts.com/index.php/hook-up-wire/cryoparts/the-wire-copper

Sep 5, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #560 of 692
I received my C421 OPA2227 with a little image engraved on it. The first impression of  this amp is really good but I can not feel the true warmth on my HD598 maybe because of the Fiio E10 DAC I am using with now. Fiio E10s are , harsh, unclear, not smooth to my ears and now I really hate Fiio E10 and asked myself why I bought it (of course just because I wanted to save money).

Look like my ears like dark, warm sound sonic. Another problem is I found out my new combo makes most of my songs feel like the mid is far far away (and before that Fiio E10 + HD598 was like that too but worse now it is better). Next I will try other headphones such as HD650, Hifiman 400 or shure 1980 to tackle this issue or maybe I am going to buy other DAC/AMP such as AudioQuest Dragonfly.

Oh one more thing. Now my experience of watching movies is on a new level. I can hear the dialogues better, clearer, smoother and the sounds from objects are overall better too.

I am burning-in my little amp now. Hopefully the situation will be better and better.

Thanks JDSLABS for this little fantastic headphone amplifier. You are one of the best manufactures out there, keep going. Thanks again.

Sep 5, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #561 of 692
Quote:
I received my C421 OPA2227 with a little image engraved on it. The first impression of  this amp is really good but I can not feel the true warmth on my HD598 maybe because of the Fiio E10 DAC I am using with now. Fiio E10s are bright, harsh, unclear, not smooth to my ears and now I really hate Fiio E10 and asked myself why I bought it (of course just because I wanted to save money).

Fiio E10 bright? Are you sure it's not a fake E10 :D

Sep 5, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #562 of 692
Yes, I was wrong, sorry. I should not have used the bright word. I am still just a newcomer in audio world , and of course I bought my Fiio E10 at a local shop near my house which is authorized by Fiio.

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #565 of 692
Quote:
This amp have enought power for the hd600 for example? Its much better than the fiio e11?

John told me it has enough power for even the LCD-2. So don't take its diminutive size for lack of power. It's comparable to the O2 in terms of driving capability.

Sep 15, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #566 of 692
Has anyone had experience with sending the amp in so that the gain adjustment could be lowered? I just sent JDS an email, so I guess I'll soon find out what happens. I'm currently using the ES5 with the c421, and a lot of times I would like the volume to be a bit lower than the lowest I can get without going into channel imbalance territory.

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #567 of 692
Quote:
Has anyone had experience with sending the amp in so that the gain adjustment could be lowered? I just sent JDS an email, so I guess I'll soon find out what happens. I'm currently using the ES5 with the c421, and a lot of times I would like the volume to be a bit lower than the lowest I can get without going into channel imbalance territory.

I'd like that too. Please keep us posted

Sep 15, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #568 of 692
Bad news. This is what JDS Labs said:

Quote:

Code:
[size=13px][color=rgb(42, 42, 42)] Mike, All c421 v1.01's have the lowest possible gain of 2.3x. These began  shipping in March 2012, so gain is already at 2.3x for your unit. Gain  below 2.0 is not feasible. The difference would also be audibly  negligible. Additionally, the volume potentiometer taper is responsible  for volume tracking, not the gain of the amplifier. Perhaps you can use a standard input cable with your ES5's, to reduce  source volume? Sorry we can't help more![/color][/size]

It's a bit disappointing, but I guess I'll just have to bear with it. Anyone know what they mean by using a standard input cable? I already have my rockboxed ipod set to -16.0db pre-amp, so I can't further lower source volume. Any suggestions?

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #569 of 692
Quote:
Bad news. This is what JDS Labs said:

It's a bit disappointing, but I guess I'll just have to bear with it. Anyone know what they mean by using a standard input cable? I already have my rockboxed ipod set to -16.0db pre-amp, so I can't further lower source volume. Any suggestions?

'Standard input cable' means you may have to resort to a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable from the headphone jack of the iPod, if the LOD signal is too strong. Not an ideal solution--but it will give greater flexibility with high sensitivity IEM's.

Sep 16, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #570 of 692
Quote:

'Standard input cable' means you may have to resort to a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable from the headphone jack of the iPod, if the LOD signal is too strong. Not an ideal solution--but it will give greater flexibility with high sensitivity IEM's.

Ah I see. Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I really do like the sound from the LOD so I might just as well stick with it, despite the volume issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back