JDSLabs C421 Preorder is live...
Oct 13, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #16 of 692
I see it has a USB in, but I don't see if this has a DAC processor... am I overlooking an obvious spec? 

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #19 of 692

Quote:
That sucks. The UHA-4 might be a better value for the money depending on how good or bad the C421 sounds. 

Actually by spec, I would think C421 is more favorable. First C421 runs on +/-7v and UHA-4 on +/-5V (which is the minimum for AD8620/10), so C421 should give you a higher voltage swing. While UHA-4 does have a PCM2706 for DAC for $30 more, you can actually get a decent standalone PCM270x DAC for less than $50. For example, the HifiMan HM-101 is about $40 and it uses the best sounding of the PCM270x series, the PCM2702 for DAC and actually has both line-out and headphone-out. Of course this is all based on spec and we won't know how good they are till someone get them both.

Oct 15, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #21 of 692
Very curious how this will stack up to the Arrow.

> subscribed <

popcorn.gif

Oct 22, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #23 of 692
Well, good news - looks like they're a week ahead of schedule, so hopefully they're start shipping relatively soon.

"Yep, the end plates arrived yesterday.
icon_smile.gif
The pictured enclosure is from the rejected batch…camera hides the scratches. We’re expecting the replacement batch next Friday, so it’s very likely that all pre-orders will ship early."

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #24 of 692
Mine arrived today. I opted to take early shipping on a slightly wonky enclosure, which, in hindsight was pointless, as my MS1is are off being worked-over, leaving me with HTF600s, which...let's just say they aren't nearly as awesome as folks would like them to be.

Initial impressions: SMALL, very solid feeling, tons of power, similar sound to my Penguin, but much more refined.

That's about as good as it gets until I can get my hands on some decent-sounding cans for a real listen.

Nov 11, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #25 of 692

Quote:
Mine arrived today. I opted to take early shipping on a slightly wonky enclosure, which, in hindsight was pointless, as my MS1is are off being worked-over, leaving me with HTF600s, which...let's just say they aren't nearly as awesome as folks would like them to be.
Initial impressions: SMALL, very solid feeling, tons of power, similar sound to my Penguin, but much more refined.
That's about as good as it gets until I can get my hands on some decent-sounding cans for a real listen.

Sounds interesting.
Did you get a shipping notice before you got yours?

Nov 11, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #26 of 692
No, I saw his recent blog post about enclosure batch #2 still not being up to snuff, so I emailed him to tell him I'd take an early one.

Seems like quite a nice little amp so far. My neighbor's lending me his SR60is today or tomorrow, so I'll be able to get a real listen.

Nov 13, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #28 of 692
Finally got my hands on the SR60s, and ran through a huge range of stuff to at least compare the two amps, low-gain setting, bass boosts off, all source material in 320kpbs or FLAC.

While the Penguin has a slightly higher quantity of bass, I would say the C421 has it beat hands down in impact and quality/clarity. After listening to the two, I'd say the Penguin sounds more midrange-ey/honkey/congested. The C421 seems more neutral, although possibly tending towards a little bright - though that could be the not-quite-broken-in borrowed SR60s, as well - to my ear, and clarity/instrument separation is better.

Another thing I noticed, is that while the AD8397 in the Penguin supposedly has a lot higher output, the C421 is LOOOOOOOOOUD. LIKE REALLY *******ED LOUD if you want it to be. Not to say that the Penguin can't push things to unlistenable volumes, but...damn, and zero noise or hiss when the thing is cranked to maximum.

A few standouts were
Depeche Mode - Freestate (Remastered): Amazing separation, I could feel the drivers moving with the drums, and barely any clipping (considerably more on the Penguin)
Tyr - Hold the Heathen Hammer High: THUNDEROUS INTRO, I had to check to make sure the bass boost was off, and zero clipping (unlike the Penguin)
Serena Ira from the Puella Magi Madoka Magica OST: Amazing cello solo, sounds very natural and airy, much more of a "honk" on the Penguin
Joy Division - Atmosphere: This track has great...atmosphere. You can really feel the drums, rather than just hearing them, and Peter Hook's bass line stays wonderfully separated
Blind Guardian - Fly: I...wh...*drool*

The bad? Well, $170 for one, although, I'm pretty pleased at the moment. I could ask for a snazzier enclosure design, as well, but this is quite nice and small, so portability is not an issue at all, not to mention much, much sturdier than a mint tin. My one real gripe would have to be having the volume control in the middle, rather than off to one side.

While I'll be sad to see the Penguin go, since it's a cool collectable and all at this point, I can safely say that the C421 sounds fantastic, and I'll probably forget all about the Cmoy after a very short while.

Anyway, that's my halfassed "I've never actually reviewed anything before" review. :wink:

(I cannot wait to listen to this thing when I get my MS1is back from Martin.)

Nov 25, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #30 of 692
Mine shipped on Wednesday. I hope to receive it next week. I'll post some impressions once it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back