JDS Labs Element
Feb 22, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #466 of 636
  Does the Element mute the speaker when plug in a headphone?

Pressing the power button (off) mutes headphones and activates RCA DAC line-output. Pressing the power button again (on) activates the headphone amp and mutes the RCA line-outs. No need to unplug headphones.

http://www.jdslabs.com/pdf/jds-labs-element-connectivity.pdf

Feb 22, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #467 of 636

Pressing the power button (off) mutes headphones and activates RCA DAC line-output. Pressing the power button again (on) activates the headphone amp and mutes the RCA line-outs. No need to unplug headphones.

http://www.jdslabs.com/pdf/jds-labs-element-connectivity.pdf

Thanks you,

I have another question, if I have USB Input and RCA-Input/External Audio both plug in at the same time, which source will take over, or do both source out put at the same time?

Feb 22, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #468 of 636
  Thanks you,

I have another question, if I have USB Input and RCA-Input/External Audio both plug in at the same time, which source will take over, or do both source out put at the same time?

The RCA input signal overrides the USB signal when connected.

Check out the PDF link above. This method means that Element retains its Auto Switching functionality. In other words, your auxiliary input source also automatically transitions from headphones to the RCA-outputs.

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #469 of 636
I've been using the DAC output for my subwoofers while having my headphones plugged into the headphone output, and overall that configuration has been running great and I've had no issues whatsoever. You have my blessing
smily_headphones1.gif
so just go for it.

That makes me want to spring for the Element and an external Amp & Buttkicker so that I can also feel my bass and not disturb others in the house.

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #472 of 636
Ok. I wonder if I'm hearing weird things. I need to take a deeper listen with more music. The sound from my MSI Gaming 6 motherboard, while more background hiss; seems to have more weight and oomph to the sound. Going through the Element makes it seem to lose information or just become sterile. Less lively. I've swapped my 6.5mm adapters, switched cables. I don't know. This thing doesn't sound nearly as good as my Oppo HA-2 did (which is what I returned to get this). I'm wondering if I made a mistake. Does this thing require "burn-in" to open up the sound?  HELP! Starting to get buyer's remorse.  FYI: I'm listening to this through my Oppo PM-3 headphones. My HF-400i will be here on Wednesday for me to try with this.

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #473 of 636
  Ok. I wonder if I'm hearing weird things. I need to take a deeper listen with more music. The sound from my MSI Gaming 6 motherboard, while more background hiss; seems to have more weight and oomph to the sound. Going through the Element makes it seem to lose information or just become sterile. Less lively. I've swapped my 6.5mm adapters, switched cables. I don't know. This thing doesn't sound nearly as good as my Oppo HA-2 did (which is what I returned to get this). I'm wondering if I made a mistake. Does this thing require "burn-in" to open up the sound?  HELP! Starting to get buyer's remorse.  FYI: I'm listening to this through my Oppo PM-3 headphones. My HF-400i will be here on Wednesday for me to try with this.

That's what I always felt about the sound of the O2 amp.

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #474 of 636

That's what I always felt about the sound of the O2 amp.

Great!  I kept trying to decide over this and the Schiit Modi2 Uber with Vali2. I decided I want 1 device instead of two.  This might be an oops!  I'm going to let it burn to the weekend and keep listening. I wonder what the return policy is.

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #475 of 636

​Are you sure you had them volume-matched?  Human perception of frequency response changes with volume level.  Also, distortion in the bass might make it seem subjectively louder.

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #476 of 636

​Are you sure you had them volume-matched?  Human perception of frequency response changes with volume level.  Also, distortion in the bass might make it seem subjectively louder.

I volume matched as best as I could. My motherboard has a separate audio section powered via a 4 pin molex to increase power, but it still doesn't go loud enough (and also has a lot of hiss). The Element was as close to the same volume as I could make it. It just did not sound as lively as the motherboard. It most definitely does not sound as good as that of the Oppo HA-2. The sound seemed to sound a little better when I increased volume, but it was still less exciting than what I was previously used to. I have allowed it to play through the night (in case burn-in is a thing). I've run it for roughly 10 hours. I'll burn it in again later when my HE-400i arrive. I just checked over the policy as well, since I had the volume button engraved, there is no return for me. I'll see what else needs to be done, but I do not wish to add another DAC to this; I'd end up selling first.

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #477 of 636
The integrated DAC on the The Element is decent, it get's the job done very well.

Of course, if you buy a $400 standalone DAC it will benefit from it. If we're talking about a more cheaper DAC (for example the Modi 2) I doubt that you'll notice any difference (I'm not saying that the Modi 2 is bad, I just think it is on par with The Element).

In conclusion, it all depends on how much budget you have for all the audio equipment. For the price the combo of The Element is a good option.

I hope that helps you...

Regards.

Yeah Im definitely not running out and spending 400 bucks on a DAC.

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #479 of 636
Yeah Im definitely not running out and spending 400 bucks on a DAC.

Well, if you buy something like Asus Essence One mkII for example (for 400 bucks) you'll find that it sounds (and looks/feels) like it costs far, far more than the Element, which is to be expected since it was built by a company that has infinitely more resources and know-how. There are some huge bang for the buck DAC/amps out there made by serious audio brands that people on this forum pay very little attention to because they're not over-hyped and automatically recommended in pretty much any post on related to DAC/amps. O2 stuff is what M50's used to be a few years back. How many people on this forum know about the NAD D1050? Or Denon DA-300USB? Or Asus Essence STU? Or Teac UD-H01 or UD-301?  Those are all products in the 300-400 dollar range, and all superior to O2 dac+amp or Element in terms of sound and build quality.  In fact, I always said the sound of O2 products reminds me of laptop outputs minus the hiss and with more volume available. Just flat, thin, compressed....I guess when going from very bad sound to that makes you feel like it sounds clear and clean at first, but you quickly realize it's not exactly musical and fun to listen to.

The issue is, the whole circlejerk around O2 has caused a lot of people to believe that THIS is how neutral gear SHOULD sound, that this is as good as any hi-fi gear can ever sound, and if anything more expensive sounds different, it's because it colors the sound and is less accurate than the O2. Some people really do believe that, usually without ever trying better (not more expensive) gear. Well, it's just not true, and that's just not a natural, realistic sound.

Mar 1, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #480 of 636
Well, if you buy something like Asus Essence One mkII for example (for 400 bucks) you'll find that it sounds (and looks/feels) like it costs far, far more than the Element, which is to be expected since it was built by a company that has infinitely more resources and know-how. There are some huge bang for the buck DAC/amps out there made by serious audio brands that people on this forum pay very little attention to because they're not over-hyped and automatically recommended in pretty much any post on related to DAC/amps. O2 stuff is what M50's used to be a few years back. How many people on this forum know about the NAD D1050? Or Denon DA-300USB? Or Asus Essence STU? Or Teac UD-H01 or UD-301?  Those are all products in the 300-400 dollar range, and all superior to O2 dac+amp or Element in terms of sound and build quality.  In fact, I always said the sound of O2 products reminds me of laptop outputs minus the hiss and with more volume available. Just flat, thin, compressed....I guess when going from very bad sound to that makes you feel like it sounds clear and clean at first, but you quickly realize it's not exactly musical and fun to listen to.

The issue is, the whole circlejerk around O2 has caused a lot of people to believe that THIS is how neutral gear SHOULD sound, that this is as good as any hi-fi gear can ever sound, and if anything more expensive sounds different, it's because it colors the sound and is less accurate than the O2. Some people really do believe that, usually without ever trying better (not more expensive) gear. Well, it's just not true, and that's just not a natural, realistic sound.

Where are you finding an Asus Essence One mk2 for $400? The Essence III is outrageously overpriced. The Teac and Denon headphone amps are laughably underpowered - not even comparable to a <$100 Fiio. NAD doesn't even publish output power specs for the D1050. The Asus cards have a decent amount of power, if you don't have computer noise problems with your setup.

As for the claims of subjective sound quality, I can only ask that you show a shred of evidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back