JDS Labs CMoyBB: Worth the $90?
Aug 4, 2011 at 7:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Remustan

New Head-Fier
CMoyBB on ebay for 90 bucks. Are they worth that much? Or should I get the cheaper Fiio E11? I will be using either of these to drive my B2 and Er4p. My setup will be : Dell streak> CMoyBB/E11> B2 and Er4p. Or Dell xps 15 ( which has a great soundcard built-in plus wavesmaxx audio ) > CMoyBB/E11 > B2/Er4p. Looking forward to suggestions!!

Aug 4, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 12
I have the CMoyBB but i am a fan of Fiio products..
I find bass on the cmoy kind of boomy..
Good overall sound but i prefer the more neutral sound of Fiio and it's tight bass punch..
Some people say that E11 is a kind of a dark sounding amp..
I haven't heard of it but i ordered it today to see for myself...

Aug 4, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 12
I have the CMoyBB but i am a fan of Fiio products..
I find bass on the cmoy kind of boomy..
Good overall sound but i prefer the more neutral sound of Fiio and it's tight bass punch..
Some people say that E11 is a kind of a dark sounding amp..
I haven't heard of it but i ordered it today to see for myself...

Well, my B2 has a very lively and sparkly treble so I dont think dark amps will sound good with them..but do you think the cmoybb is worth the $90?

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Well, my B2 has a very lively and sparkly treble so I dont think dark amps will sound good with them..but do you think the cmoybb is worth the $90?

Ι didn't say i find it dark..I haven't heard of it yet .
Some people find it dark and also some others say it is exactly the same as E7 soundwise but a little bit smoother and with better bass impact.
You can't know if you don't hear it for yourself,that's why i ordered it...
As for the cmoy...
For 90 dollars i think not...
It is a good budget amp but not for that price..
Who likes all the time changing the 9V battery,charging it for more than 10 hours,have a big tin on him and boomy bass??
Why don't you wait until John Seaber launches his new project amp?

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 12
I personally have to give a definite yes, depending on what you plan to run with it. Higher impedance cans, probably not. Lower impedance cans or IEM's, definitely. It's actually my go to portable amp for my Westone 4's, despite owning an RSA SR-71A and auditioning a Pico Slim. The SR-71A drives my Denon D5000's better mind, my guess is because the two 9v batteries offer more juice compared to the JDS cMoyBB's one, but I'll report back in more detail after further testing.

But to the JDS cMoy's defence, I honestly feel it has one of the best soundstages available from a portable amp, even compared to the SR-71A and Pico Slim. It offers a really nice, open presentation with better instrumental separation and imo more low end bass. It doesn't have "boomy bass" unless you flip the bass boost switch (which I personally don't like to use).

Also, where are you seeing it for $90? It's $60 straight from the JDS site, where you can tell him which phones you plan to use them with so he can customise for that impedance too.

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 12

Ι didn't say i find it dark..I haven't heard of it yet .
Some people find it dark and also some others say it is exactly the same as E7 soundwise but a little bit smoother and with better bass impact.
You can't know if you don't hear it for yourself,that's why i ordered it...
As for the cmoy...
For 90 dollars i think not...
It is a good budget amp but not for that price..
Who likes all the time changing the 9V battery,charging it for more than 10 hours,have a big tin on him and boomy bass??
Why don't you wait until John Seaber launches his new project amp?

Can I charge the battery or must I buy a new one everytime l? And will the tin have dents?

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 12
I personally have to give a definite yes, depending on what you plan to run with it. Higher impedance cans, probably not. Lower impedance cans or IEM's, definitely. It's actually my go to portable amp for my Westone 4's, despite owning an RSA SR-71A and auditioning a Pico Slim. The SR-71A drives my Denon D5000's better mind, my guess is because the two 9v batteries offer more juice compared to the JDS cMoyBB's one, but I'll report back in more detail after further testing.

But to the JDS cMoy's defence, I honestly feel it has one of the best soundstages available from a portable amp, even compared to the SR-71A and Pico Slim. It offers a really nice, open presentation with better instrumental separation and imo more low end bass. It doesn't have "boomy bass" unless you flip the bass boost switch (which I personally don't like to use).

Also, where are you seeing it for $90? It's $60 straight from the JDS site, where you can tell him which phones you plan to use them with so he can customise for that impedance too.

$65 on ebay + shipping + handling + insurance.

Aug 6, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #9 of 12
But for people who know squat about electronics? ._. 

I can get hold of all the mechanical tools needed for modding and stuff, but I don't know how to use them. 

Aug 6, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
$65 on ebay + shipping + handling + insurance.

Just buy it straight from JDS. $5 cheaper here too, no idea what postage is but it shouldn't be that much.

http://www.jdslabs.com/store.php

I would also recommend a 280mAh (or more) ni-mi rechargable 9V battery and a charger. I haven't A/B'd yet, but from memory, I think I get a slightly cleaner sound using the 9V ni-mi compared to a standard Duracel 9V.

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Can I charge the battery or must I buy a new one everytime l? And will the tin have dents?

Hello.
You can buy the "charging" option for a few extra bucks alongside a rechargeable battery from
their store and they will install it for you! This way you can buy (separate) a charger and a tip
and recharge the batteries (time for battery to recharge is 12 hours AND you can listen/use the amp
while charging!!)

Also, you can tell them which headphones you are planning to use with the Cmoy and they
will "personalize" it depending on the Ohms of your main headphones!

Loving mine.!
Buy direct from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back