JDS Labs C5D may be the king of Portable AMP/DACs in its price point.
Oct 30, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #16 of 22
Can't help you there
Best to ask them in the big C5/C5D thread here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/647838/jds-labs-c5-c5d-pg96-portable-amp-amp-dac-appreciation-discussion-thread

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #17 of 22
I have a C5. I also owned a Fiio E17. I stuck with the C5 and sold the E17. I listen to Jazz. I noticed a bass coloration and slowness in the Fiio that I didn't like very much. The C5 seems to have a more accurate and quick presentation across the spectrum. One thing I did like about the e17 was the optical in DAC function. That sped up the bass a little. It may be the sound signatures of the two companies, which has prevented me from buying a Fiio DAP as well. Based on my own unscientific, but extensive comparisons (I am a musician), and for what I want from a portable rig, JDS labs has me covered. If I get a DAP in the future I may upgrade to the C5D, but I use an Ipod Classic and etymotic er4S, and Sennheiser HD 600's. C5 is doing an excellent job. It and the er4S have really helped take away the fatigue of listening on long trips, which in turn, has allowed for more consistent study and enjoyment of music. Don't only have to be home to get it in!

Oct 13, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #22 of 22
I chose mine after reading a few reviews and seeing they offered laser etching. ended up being my end game amp / dac for portable and laptop use. ive loaned mine ot a few coworkers and 2 of them bought the amp only after hearing it. im thankful i got the c5d and not just the c5. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back