JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Aug 11, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #1,261 of 3,417
Luisdent, I will experiment with the EQ thing with my ER4S (maybe even try the red filters).  Just spent a couple hours listening to "Doin' It Right" and the rest of my Daft Punk collection.  Straight up with no EQ or amplification, the SE530 is still my favorite.  The hisoundaudio PAA-1 Pro and Wooduo 2 are really fun with all their BASS.  I should be getting my C5 back from JDS Labs tomorrow in the mail.  Thanks to John at JDS Labs for the firmware update.

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #1,262 of 3,417
Luisdent, I will experiment with the EQ thing with my ER4S (maybe even try the red filters).  Just spent a couple hours listening to "Doin' It Right" and the rest of my Daft Punk collection.  Straight up with no EQ or amplification, the SE530 is still my favorite.  The hisoundaudio PAA-1 Pro and Wooduo 2 are really fun with all their BASS.  I should be getting my C5 back from JDS Labs tomorrow in the mail.  Thanks to John at JDS Labs for the firmware update.
It's ok with no eq, but so much better with eq. Daft punk sounds incredible with my eq. Much more reference sounding. Doin' it right has insane sub bass with even a neutral eq setting...

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #1,263 of 3,417
Hmm,might have to try a rockboxed fuze one day,thanks for the info.
I have looked into it but went with the touch because it looks so good!

I had a Hifiman HM801 before the iPod/c5,,and definitely prefer the iPod/c5.
I haven't really listened to the HO actually because I bought it just plug into the c5,and it's always attached with dual lock.
But I do wish there was control buttons on the side though,I agree It's very annoying to have to keep unlocking the screen etc just to change track!
I'm finding the bass boost is staying on more and more recently,it just sounds so good!

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #1,264 of 3,417
Good to hear. I just bought one of these 

is it powerful enough to source out of an oDac... I would assume so but I know that when I had my cMoy if I sourced it out my Computers Headphone jack the amp did almost nothing sound wise, other than maybe adjust the volume

that being said I've had my oDac for a while now, and my pc is set to run audio out of it. I would assume I should be able to hear the distinct quaitys of the C5 rather easy from the oDac. As before out of my Computer everything sounded the same. With the exceptions of the Desktop Tube I purchased

still out of an oDac it should be easy to listen to the amp. I will be comparing it to my Matrix as well. 

The C5 does have gain settings right

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #1,265 of 3,417
Hmm,might have to try a rockboxed fuze one day,thanks for the info.
I have looked into it but went with the touch because it looks so good!

I had a Hifiman HM801 before the iPod/c5,,and definitely prefer the iPod/c5.
I haven't really listened to the HO actually because I bought it just plug into the c5,and it's always attached with dual lock.
But I do wish there was control buttons on the side though,I agree It's very annoying to have to keep unlocking the screen etc just to change track!
I'm finding the bass boost is staying on more and more recently,it just sounds so good!
I want to add that the touch quality isn't bad, and supposedly, based on graphs, the FR is very flat. However, there is a difference in sound. Most people probably wouldn't even hear it unless they knew what to look for. But it's there.

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #1,266 of 3,417
Quote:
The first thing that pops in my head, as I was just talking about it, is "the wedding" from deep impact by james horner.  Here's a sample of the part I can easily hear the difference with:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48137075/06%20The%20Wedding.mp3

After the soft part with the flute the strings come in.  On the 5g touch headphone output the strings have a strange tone.  The C5 makes them sound correct and even.

Thanks for the excerpt. I've listened over and over and I still don't hear a difference. I'm comparing the headphone output from an iPhone 5 (not iPod Touch) with C5. I was using the iPod Touch just for the line out. It was a 5th gen, but I gave that back and I'm now using a 4th gen so it's a simpler connection to the C5.

I'm trying more string music so I have a longer sample to switch back and forth. I'm listening to Scherezade right now they sound identical -- at least with the HD598. I just wondering if it's more noticeable with higher impedance or less sensitive headphones?

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #1,267 of 3,417
Quote:
I'm not sure about the iPhone 5, but I own the previous 4S and the difference is pretty subtle, but noticeable to me. Most of the differences are in the way instruments are separated in my head, with the C5 being much more spacious and instruments are better-defined. The other difference I've noted is that the treble becomes less grainy and more defined, again, compared to the headphone out jack.

Which headphones are using where you hear a difference? I'm wondering if it's my headphones that play better, at least with the iPhone 5. Maybe the iPhone 4s wasn't as good as the 5.

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #1,270 of 3,417
Quote:
"Then you don't listen to the same music i do. :p. and the irony is that i listen to music quieter than most people i know."

Luisdent,if you dont mind,would you be able to give an example of a track that you find particularly problematic?
I would like to download it and see.
I'm asking because I make a fair bit of quiet ambient music on logic,and that can be pretty quiet in the early mixing stage,butI still can't imagine having to max out the volume on the c5!
It would be great to hear what you are listening to for comparison..

Sorry it took so long.  I've been working and very busy.  All my posts lately have been from my ipod, which ironically doesn't have any music on it now (using the fuze).  Did you check out the james horner song?  You could practically pick any of his music and music like it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48137075/06%20The%20Wedding.mp3

If you turn that up to a good volume during the quieter parts such as 2:30 with no eq or gain, just full output of a fuze or ipod into the c5 and adjust the c5 volume you're o.k..  Now lower the source volume -10db to compensate for my average eq precut (I don't boost any frequency 10db, but for some reason the eq must be 'additive' in some way, because it clips with loud parts of songs unless i lower the precut to -10db.  This is the same on my computer eq.)

I just tested this on my duet and my fuze.  In both cases there is noise added when the precut is forcing the c5 to near max levels.  You will hear the volume sounds much more prominently and the noise floor increase.  It isn't a huge difference, but it's enough to lessen the enjoyment of the song for me on rare occasions.  This isn't the song.  This is additional noise.  I can literally turn the c5 up with my right hand while I drag the eq precut down 10db simultaneously and hear the noise grow.  Granted i'm using -10db precut.  But it's required if I want to use any eq.  :-o  The C5 is MORE THAN POWERFUL ENOUGH in almost all situations, except here and there when using a demanding phone with eq applied.  That's all.

I repeat... THE C5 IS AMAZING AND POWERFUL!!!! WOOO!  :)  End of story.  :p  I just wish it had a little more raw power for such situations.

Here's another horner song with the same results.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48137075/04%20The%20Portrait.wav

I've cut the main song out but left the intro and ending to make it sample length.  I've done absolutely nothing to the audio otherwise.  You can compare it to the CD if you have it.  This is a direct lossless rip of the CD cut to sample length.

There are a few sections of the cast away credits by alan silvestri as well.

Listen to this.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48137075/castaway.wav

In this case, I've only removed the treble to hide all of the noise that was in the original recording.  This will hopefully make it easier to hear the added noise depending on your ears/phones.  If you do what i was saying and reduce gain by 10db via an eq app or just any old gain at the source.  If you turn that up it will start exhibiting noise and noticeable volume button sounds.  Remember, I'm using the er4s.  I'd never get a song to this volume with any other phone I own. :-o  Plus, just the fact that you need to "listen for it" and it's only in rare occasions, obviously means it isn't an issue per se.  Just me being particular.  But that's my right as an audiophile isn't it?  :wink:  haha

Maybe we just need to slap James Horner for his quiet recordings?  Ha.  But his soundtracks are amazing, and in order to keep the music consistently without reducing dynamics some songs have to be this quiet.  Otherwise, when they build up they wouldn't sound as good.  It's amazing how much one of his songs can change sometimes from barely audible to almost clipping. :p  But sometimes it isn't the raw volume, but rather a certain instrument or something.  I know orchestral music can be a challenge to master and mix, but his music is definitely beautiful and powerful, so I wouldn't change it and I'm glad he chose the mastering he did.  It just is a bit more demanding of amplifiers.  There's probably others if I can think of some.  They're usually far a few between when I'm shuffling through my music.  Some might be quieter at specific parts where the noise is more noticeable.  But again, rare.

So just to reiterate one more time:
C5 = AWESOME.  Awesome, powerful reference quality.
luisdent = Particular.  Picky, needy, demanding audiophile.
Rate of occurrence = very extremely low

:p

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #1,271 of 3,417
C5 + AKG Q701s = tasty, blissful goodness 
k701smile.gif

Yeah, got the white ones. Burned 'em in for a little over 100 hours, then took 'em for a spin.  I'll post what I did over in the Q701 thread (not totally OT):

For the moment I'm using the included 10' green cable.  Never gonna trip over that in the dark 
wink.gif
  The C5 set on low gain is plenty to drive them.  Playback noted below is using AIMP3 (latest build) set to WASAPI Exclusive and FLACs.

My first real session with them is using a laptop (RealTek ALC269's HP Out; all Sound Effects off, of course) to the C5 via a 12' Media Bridge cable, playing the latest album by The Bevis Frond (2013's "White Numbers"; check it out at Bandcamp or wherever; good stuff). Being a guitar-driven band of psychedelic Brit pop, I figured it'd be a good test to see how the sound had shaped up, or out, if you prefer.  The highs are still there, and while prominent, I'm not fatigued after 80+ minutes.  It's low-end that got my attention, not to mention the sound stage.  To my ears, the basslines are beautiful.  I tried some minor EQing at various bands (87, 125, 175, 250, in various combinations), but it wasn't needed.  Acoustic guitars are simply gorgeous, as are the few piano parts.

Then, to change it up, I put on track 1 from Hugh Laurie's Let Them Talk ("St. James Infirmary").  Wow. All the raw emotion pours straight through.  Instrument separation is excellent. Subtleties like the guitarist getting ready to join in while Hugh's finishing up the piano intro accentuate the detail the Q701s can deliver.  And the stand-up bass that kicks off the song proper after the dramatic intro... perfection. And finally, Hugh's vocals cut straight to the center of your skull, the band spread out around him.  Even my wife noted all this.  She was amazed, even if a total head-fi neophyte.

There's definitely an airy quality about them, but without sacrificing any impact.  So glad I got these.  Not sure I'll keep burning them in.  I guess plenty of play time will accomplish that.  I'm also interested to compare them my AKG K550s, admittedly a different design, for various types of music.  Lastly, I ordered a custom cable from Redco using Mogami W2893 mini-quad and Redco connectors (mini-TRS and 3.5mm).  Wanted something shorter.  Redco is pleasure to deal with.

So yeah, the C5 on low gain is plenty, and absolutely required -- OK, some sort of amp. But we all know people should be getting the C5 
atsmile.gif

Two very different styles of music. Two, I'd bet my house, very different recording, mixing and mastering environments... one glorious outcome.

I'm not sure I can part with my C5 to send it back to the mothership for reprogramming.  We'll see. Finer volume control is tempting. There's also the matter of digging up my original order #.  Gotta be here somewhere...

Time to spread a little of that "Homemade Traditional Electric Jam" on me brain.

Cheers.

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #1,272 of 3,417
Quote:
C5 + AKG Q701s = tasty, blissful goodness 
k701smile.gif

Yeah, got the white ones. Burned 'em in for a little over 100 hours, then took 'em for a spin.  I'll post what I did over in the Q701 thread (not totally OT):

For the moment I'm using the included 10' green cable.  Never gonna trip over that in the dark 
wink.gif
  The C5 set on low gain is plenty to drive them.  Playback noted below is using AIMP3 (latest build) set to WASAPI Exclusive and FLACs.

My first real session with them is using a laptop (RealTek ALC269's HP Out; all Sound Effects off, of course) to the C5 via a 12' Media Bridge cable, playing the latest album by The Bevis Frond (2013's "White Numbers"; check it out at Bandcamp or wherever; good stuff). Being a guitar-driven band of psychedelic Brit pop, I figured it'd be a good test to see how the sound had shaped up, or out, if you prefer.  The highs are still there, and while prominent, I'm not fatigued after 80+ minutes.  It's low-end that got my attention, not to mention the sound stage.  To my ears, the basslines are beautiful.  I tried some minor EQing at various bands (87, 125, 175, 250, in various combinations), but it wasn't needed.  Acoustic guitars are simply gorgeous, as are the few piano parts.

Then, to change it up, I put on track 1 from Hugh Laurie's Let Them Talk ("St. James Infirmary").  Wow. All the raw emotion pours straight through.  Instrument separation is excellent. Subtleties like the guitarist getting ready to join in while Hugh's finishing up the piano intro accentuate the detail the Q701s can deliver.  And the stand-up bass that kicks off the song proper after the dramatic intro... perfection. And finally, Hugh's vocals cut straight to the center of your skull, the band spread out around him.  Even my wife noted all this.  She was amazed, even if a total head-fi neophyte.

There's definitely an airy quality about them, but without sacrificing any impact.  So glad I got these.  Not sure I'll keep burning them in.  I guess plenty of play time will accomplish that.  I'm also interested to compare them my AKG K550s, admittedly a different design, for various types of music.  Lastly, I ordered a custom cable from Redco using Mogami W2893 mini-quad and Redco connectors (mini-TRS and 3.5mm).  Wanted something shorter.  Redco is pleasure to deal with.

So yeah, the C5 on low gain is plenty, and absolutely required -- OK, some sort of amp. But we all know people should be getting the C5 
atsmile.gif

Two very different styles of music. Two, I'd bet my house, very different recording, mixing and mastering environments... one glorious outcome.

I'm not sure I can part with my C5 to send it back to the mothership for reprogramming.  We'll see. Finer volume control is tempting. There's also the matter of digging up my original order #.  Gotta be here somewhere...

Time to spread a little of that "Homemade Traditional Electric Jam" on me brain.

Cheers.

Finer volume control?  Did I miss something?  How do you do that?  Don't tell me it's a simple firmware update.... ?

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #1,274 of 3,417
Quote:
OK fine. *pun intended*
It isn't a firmware update. You simply punch in the Konomi code and it does the tweaking for you.

Nice impressions ThurstonX! I love the K 701 with the C5, but I tend to have it on high-gain mode for a bit more warmth.

I can't tell if that was a video game reference joke or something real? :-o haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back