JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Jul 25, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #1,171 of 3,417
Just got H-200, will have to try them with the C5 at some point

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #1,172 of 3,417
Quote:
Of course.

It is a great feeling when you find a rig that does so much goodness!

I know... I guess it'll be a while before I take another leap of faith on an upgrade.
BTW, did you notice the significant increase in soundstage height? I did notice that there aint much improvement in the width tho.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #1,173 of 3,417
Quote:

I know... I guess it'll be a while before I take another leap of faith on an upgrade.
BTW, did you notice the significant increase in soundstage height? I did notice that there aint much improvement in the width tho.

Hmm, I have yet to discover the height of the soundstage in that sense, but I surely know for a fact that the width of the soundstage is not very wide at all.

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #1,174 of 3,417
Jul 25, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #1,176 of 3,417
Nice review, well done!

It reminded me that i had totally forgotten about the gain switch.
Does higher gain sound better on some iems?-I have er4s, i tried to compare the gain settings but it's difficult because of the whole louder sounds better thing.

Anyone with ER4s out there?-What setting do you find sounds best?-Or is it just simply louder and doesn't make any difference?

Jul 25, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #1,177 of 3,417
Nice review, well done!

Does higher gain sound better on some iems?-I have er4s, i tried to compare the gain settings but it's difficult because of the whole louder sounds better thing.

Anyone with ER4s out there?-What setting do you find sounds best?-Or is it just simply louder and doesn't make any difference?

Ah, yes, thank you.

The ER4S are quite the power hungry IEMs at the requirement of 100ohms, so I'd assume they would work much better on high gain, but don't quote me on that.

Unfortunately, I do not own a pair to test it out for you, but I would suggest using the high gain function for it to get the best out of it.

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #1,178 of 3,417
Nice review, well done!

Listening to my ER4S with high gain, the bass has more impact and texture. The mids are slightly recessed and if there's a lot of layers can sound congested. With low gain - the treble, separation and soundstage is better.

Jul 26, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #1,181 of 3,417
Quote:
It's actually part of the potentiometer. You just push it into the C5 to toggle the gain. It's pretty neat.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, miceblue 
smile.gif

Jul 28, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #1,184 of 3,417
Can anyone tell me how this would pair with my AK100?

Thanks
Mike

It pairs very well with the AK100 as the C5 is very neutral and doesn't add or coloured the sound sig of AK100.
I used to own both and need the C5 to properly drive FitEar TG!334 due to AK's 22 Ohm OI. Sometimes I also plugged in Senn Momentum and the sound is pure bliss.
The only reason I sold both of them is I don't want to use any amp to properly drive my TG!334, so it's the design fault of the AK and not the C5.
Sizewise, with the AK leather case, the width is almost the same, only the C5 is much taller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back