JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Jul 8, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #1,141 of 3,417
C5 has no audible imbalance, O2 does at low volumes as you know.

Jul 8, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #1,143 of 3,417
C5's bass is unmatched (so far anyway, and not all iems can handle it).  I don't notice any imbalance even at low levels.  Also, I would just stick with the x02(I think it's also nicknamed the '02' right?) because I heard they're almost identical.

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #1,146 of 3,417
Quote:
C5's bass is unmatched (so far anyway, and not all iems can handle it).  I don't notice any imbalance even at low levels.  Also, I would just stick with the x02(I think it's also nicknamed the '02' right?) because I heard they're almost identical.

trust me when i say this...when the bass boost switch on the X02 is on... my Dt880 literally vibrate on the table...now im looking for a more compact amp and something that looks nicer hahahaha the C5 seems to pass the mark. the red one looks oh so good and it seems perfect , im going to check with my local etailer if i can demo one of his units and i can compare them =)

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #1,147 of 3,417
Just ordered mine!-V excited to hear it.

Luisdent,are you using the latest iPod touch with yours?-How is the sound on the latest one?Im thinking of getting one to go with it, but not too keen on having to use the lightning adapter thing!..How does it compare to the ipod classic 6th gen line out?( which i see you also used!)

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #1,148 of 3,417
Just ordered mine!-V excited to hear it.

Luisdent,are you using the latest iPod touch with yours?-How is the sound on the latest one?Im thinking of getting one to go with it, but not too keen on having to use the lightning adapter thing!..How does it compare to the ipod classic 6th gen line out?( which i see you also used!)
Yes 64gb 5th gen touch. With line out i can't tell the difference between them, but headphone out the classic is the teensiest bit sharper sounding. Very small difference. However, with both, the line out and c5 combo sounds a bit better on any earphone. More noticeable difference with something like the er4s. The adapter isn't too bad with a flexible cable like the btg. I wasn't digging the fiio l3/l9. In fact one died. With the btg cable it's easier to have the ipod straight on top of the c5. I can post more pics later.

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #1,149 of 3,417
That would be great,thanks!
The new touch looks really good,and eq apps would be useful too,but the 160gb storage of the classic,and the fact it just plays music is also tempting..(I already have an iPhone).Plus it still has the 30 pin dock,so no adapter needed.
It all depends on the sound in the end though, so It's nice to hear that there isn't much difference sound wise between the two,especially as I would pretty much always be using the line out to the C5.

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #1,151 of 3,417
Thanks very much for that, i found it incredibly useful!

The ipod touch is so thin and light,it would be perfect, but i can't help feeling it's such a shame it needs to have that huge adapter sticking out the bottom!-For me, looking at those pictures, the classic actually seems to fit a lot nicer for that reason even though it's clearly a lot fatter and weightier.

Is there any chance of somebody building a lightning LOD at some point??-I would rather get the older ipod touch to avoid the adapter at this stage.

I would have thought that the cable version of the adapter would be better for those fiio lods wouldn't it?-Making the cable longer and decreasing the strain on the connecters?-But i read in an earlier post that you swapped from the cable version to that one, so clearly not!

Hmmm, thanks again for those pictures!-Really great comparison of what to expect.

Your btg lod cable looks very good too. I have a silver lod cable on the way, so i might get the one you recommend too though to see if i can detect any sound differences.

Hmmm....Very tricky decision this!
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #1,152 of 3,417
Quote:
Thanks very much for that, i found it incredibly useful!

The ipod touch is so thin and light,it would be perfect, but i can't help feeling it's such a shame it needs to have that huge adapter sticking out the bottom!-For me, looking at those pictures, the classic actually seems to fit a lot nicer for that reason even though it's clearly a lot fatter and weightier.

Is there any chance of somebody building a lightning LOD at some point??-I would rather get the older ipod touch to avoid the adapter at this stage.

I would have thought that the cable version of the adapter would be better for those fiio lods wouldn't it?-Making the cable longer and decreasing the strain on the connecters?-But i read in an earlier post that you swapped from the cable version to that one, so clearly not!

Hmmm, thanks again for those pictures!-Really great comparison of what to expect.

Your btg lod cable looks very good too. I have a silver lod cable on the way, so i might get the one you recommend too though to see if i can detect any sound differences.

Hmmm....Very tricky decision this!
biggrin.gif

I love the BTG cable.  I'm hoping the 30 pin connector lasts, but otherwise it seems an excellent quality build.

As for the cable lightning adapter.  it was way too long.  The cable isn't short enough so it sticks out very far.  Because of this, it creates even more awkward angles and bends and is simply impossible to work with.  I do not recommend it at all.  Just look at this thing...  It doesn't want to flex much, so it's impossible to safely sit the ipod on the C5.

I don't have a photo, but the other FIIO was just as bad with it, but in different awkward angle ways... :p

I think the issue with the new ipod is that the line out circuitry is in the adapter, not the ipod from what I've read.  Therefore, it makes it stick out farther.  However, with the BTG having a short 30 pin connector it's about as good as it gets with the 5g touch.

If you are ONLY concerned about audio and you are definitely not going to use any EQ, than I would personally get a classic.  My classic's drive is half dead, so I can only sync so many songs to it before it crashes (6.5 years old, not too bad).  But I use a little EQ on the touch, so I don't think I'd want the classic anymore.  Plus the 5G is so much better than the 4G in every way.  High res, brighter screen, better app ability, thinner, lighter, sexier, etc.

I don't have any real problems with mine and the C5 connections.  My only problem is the small 64gb capacity.  ugh. :p  I cut my classic in half!  Noooooo!  But I really don't want another hard drive based player, as it doesn't have EQ and is more likely to fail from physical movement.

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #1,153 of 3,417
Lol, see what you mean about that cable adapter now!-I was thinking it was more flexible than that.
Aagghh,its no good, it's going to have to be the new iPod touch I think!
Thanks so much for all your help.
My C5 has been sent now,can't wait to try it out!

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #1,154 of 3,417
Lol, see what you mean about that cable adapter now!-I was thinking it was more flexible than that.
Aagghh,its no good, it's going to have to be the new iPod touch I think!
Thanks so much for all your help.
My C5 has been sent now,can't wait to try it out!

That "lightning" connector is used by the iPhone 5, the iPod Touch (5th generation), the iPod Nano (7th generation), the iPad (4th generation), and the iPad Mini.

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #1,155 of 3,417
That "lightning" connector is used by the iPhone 5, the iPod Touch (5th generation), the iPod Nano (7th generation), the iPad (4th generation), and the iPad Mini.
Yes, it's either that awkward cable or the awkward connector...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back