JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Mar 8, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #496 of 3,417
Quote:
Does anyone else mind doing a battery test?

Trying out the battery test now with my modded C5 and S3. Will update once I have results.

Update:

I have found a problem with my mod. When I'm trying to use the C5 as an amp only and I feed it line level input(2Volts) I get noticeable distortion when playing music.Did not notice it cause previously just tried it out with my S3 jack out and my DAP and it sounds clean at my usual listening level (low gain,around 8~10 volume).Did a test with another external DAC with volume control and with my voltmeter measuring and sure enough feeding it more than 0.9 volts causes it to distort.Doh! I was actually feeding the C5 2 inputs, one that's soldered on(although not powered) and another with the C5 jack input causing the distortion.

Solution:

Wanted to use a switch as a first solution but couldn't find one small enough to fit the case and that can be easily mounted on one of the faceplate. So I remove all the soldered wiring from the C5 input and UD-100 output.Soldered a 1/8 inch jack wires to the UD-100 output and feed the C5 input using the 1/8  jack(below photos should make it clear what I'm babbling about
smile.gif
).So I'm a happier man now with this improved mod and bye bye distortion!!!

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #497 of 3,417
Quote:
Trying out the battery test now with my modded C5 and S3. Will update once I have results.

Update:

I have found a problem with my mod. When I'm trying to use the C5 as an amp only and I feed it line level input(2Volts) I get noticeable distortion when playing music.Did not notice it cause previously just tried it out with my S3 jack out and my DAP and it sounds clean at my usual listening level (low gain,around 8~10 volume).Did a test with another external DAC with volume control and with my voltmeter measuring and sure enough feeding it more than 0.9 volts causes it to distort.Doh! I was actually feeding the C5 2 inputs, one that's soldered on(although not powered) and another with the C5 jack input causing the distortion.

Solution:

Wanted to use a switch as a first solution but couldn't find one small enough to fit the case and that can be easily mounted on one of the faceplate. So I remove all the soldered wiring from the C5 input and UD-100 output.Soldered a 1/8 inch jack wires to the UD-100 output and feed the C5 input using the 1/8  jack(below photos should make it clear what I'm babbling about
smile.gif
).So I'm a happier man now with this improved mod and bye bye distortion!!!

Hello! I am the Industrial Designer over here at JDS Labs. We love the ingenuity in this mod you did so I machined up a special end panel, I believe John shipped it yesterday. Hope you enjoy!

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #499 of 3,417
Quote:
Hello! I am the Industrial Designer over here at JDS Labs. We love the ingenuity in this mod you did so I machined up a special end panel, I believe John shipped it yesterday. Hope you enjoy!

These guys are incredible.  They really go above and beyond.  I've seen something similar to this before from them.  Very awesome!  I want to see the finished pics! :)

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #500 of 3,417
Quote:

This (and other things too) is the kind of thing that's a perfect example of what that makes JDS so special and sets them apart from other amp manufacturers. They're really that close to their customers... Keep up the great work guys! 
beerchug.gif

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #501 of 3,417
Quote:

Wow, that's just plain awesome customer service! rckyosho really did a fantastic job with the mod though. Very ingenious indeed.

I should be receiving a pocket AVR programmer in the mail next week and I can't wait to tweak around with the C5's Arduino code!

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #502 of 3,417
Quote:
I did not know that. I am still a trainee when it comes to amps and how they work, but that seems to make sense.
Today I'm trying a "no load" test of the C5's battery; so I'm just timing to see how long the battery lasts with it turned on, not connected to anything.

I have checked the InnerFidelity measurements of both headphones, and in fact it looks like the efficiency of the DT880 is so poor compared to the M100 (more than 10 dB worse) that it consumes more current despite having 7 times higher impedance. So, only a reasonably efficient high impedance headphone like the T70 would actually save battery life compared to the M100. But at not very high volume the current drawn by the headphones might not be the most important factor determining battery life, as the DT880 at 90 dB average SPL still needs less than 2.5 mA (RMS) total for two channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv014 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

but this time the maximum unloaded voltage does not agree with the specifications (it is 12.8 Vpp instead of 14)

I had a look at the specifications now, and it is apparently the power supply voltage that is 14 Vp-p, rather than the output voltage, that makes more sense.

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #503 of 3,417
I have received my C5 this morning, and below is my initial impression for the first 5 hours.

- bass boost is good / bad at the same time, just like other member said earlier the +8 is a little bit too much, maybe a selectable of +3 / +7 will be perfect for none bass head, but if you are a bass you will love this +8 boost, as the sub bass does not overpower too much and mud the mid/treb too much. but i think a +3 will be perfect for me for sure.

- sound stage is a bit bigger then my E9 at the work

- i think the mid is more forward, as the vocal feels closer.

- a bit neutral, not much coloring on this amp.

- C5 is tiny, as i was expecting something a bit bigger then my ODAC, but it turns out they are about the same size!!!

- at max volume( low gain) i can hear the hissing from my UM3x without music playing, but i figure at that level you gonna get your ear bleeding and blown first. at my normal listening level i do not hear anything.

overall, it is a nice little product i would recommend to friends.

ODAC on the left, C5 on the right.

song i used for testing
"Extra Terrestrial Biological entitles" by Egoist
"Clock Strikes" by One Ok Rock
"Avalon no oukan" by Nana Mizuki
"Reversi" by Uverworld

now can someone recommend me a good short 3.5 to 3.5 that is less then $100?

~Ming

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #504 of 3,417
Quote:
I have received my C5 this morning, and below is my initial impression for the first 5 hours.

- bass boost is good / bad at the same time, just like other member said earlier the +8 is a little bit too much, maybe a selectable of +3 / +7 will be perfect for none bass head, but if you are a bass you will love this +8 boost, as the sub bass does not overpower too much and mud the mid/treb too much. but i think a +3 will be perfect for me for sure.

- C5 is tiny, as i was expecting something a bit bigger then my ODAC, but it turns out they are about the same size!!!

- at max volume( low gain) i can hear the hissing from my UM3x without music playing, but i figure at that level you gonna get your ear bleeding and blown first. at my normal listening level i do not hear anything.

song i used for testing
"Reversi" by Uverworld

~Ming

FiiO L2 or FiiO L8. Both are less than $10 USD. :)
The slate colour looks pretty nice too. It's darker than I imagined it to be.

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #505 of 3,417
Quote:

song i used for testing
"Reversi" by Uverworld

~Ming

It may be a bit long, but this is what I was using today:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203780073?productId=203780073&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=203780073&ci_kw=%7bkeyword%7d&kwd=%7bkeyword%7d&cm_mmc=shopping%2d%5f%2dgoogleads%2d%5f%2dpla%2d%5f%2d203780073&ci_gpa=pla#.UTp6i45Qra4

I am usually not a monster fan, as they are overpriced in my opinion, but this cable isn't too bad, and it's very good quality construction and flexible.  They might have a shorter one, dunno...

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #506 of 3,417
Just to show you guys this finish more, you can see it is wearing already!  But that's o.k.  John warned me it was not right before I received it and said he'd replace it with a new one anyway.  But I literally have barely touched this thing and the finish is wearing off.  I had it sitting on my desk last night and then put it in a small tupperware container i keep my audio cables in.  It was even wrapped inside my ipod's microfiber cloth.  Took it out and used it on the desk tonight and there's already bad wearing of the finish.  I haven't sat anything on it either.  As you saw before I keep the ipod to the side.

The wear sort of let's you see what I meant by "it looks like paint".  In real life it is more "paint-ish" looking then the photos.  Otherwise, it is a pretty cool color... Oh well.  Can't wait for the "correct" one. :)

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #507 of 3,417
Quote:

Wow! What a suprise!!! Didn't expect that!
Can't wait for the faceplate to arrived.
Thank you namizich for that and the cool response from 
JDSlabs design team and all.That certainly made my day!
atsmile.gif

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #508 of 3,417
Has anybody tried the C5 with Denon D2000's?  I'm thinking the slightly forward mids of the C5 would go well with the slightly recessed mids of the D2000.  If you have tried this combo, how does it sound to you?

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #509 of 3,417
It's weird, even though the O2 subjectively sounds a little better to me, for desktop purposes, I seem to be using the C5 more often. Maybe the more up-front mids and easy-to-access bass boost toggle are why I'm gravitating towards the C5 for most of my listening sessions.

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #510 of 3,417
Not to sound contradictory, but I have to say that I don't hear any "upfront mids" as others hear.  I hear a very neutral presentation all around.  Perhaps switching from an amp that has less "neutral" mids makes the c5 sound more mid present?  Just a thought.  I've compared it to a bunch of devices and hi-fi amps and it sounds just a neutral to me personally with a bunch of headphones I've tried...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back