JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Mar 4, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #421 of 3,417
Quote:
Has anybody tried the C5 with 250 ohm headphones?  I plan on buying Beyer DT250's and I need an amp that can power their 250 ohm impedance.  

I have the hd600 and those are 300-ohm.  I haven't tried them yet, but john said the C5 will handle them just fine. :)

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #423 of 3,417
Quote:

useful to know thanks!

one more question, are any other colours planned for the C5?

I'm hoping for something to match the ODAC case. 
smile.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #425 of 3,417
Quote:
they sell silver case with C5, unless your ODAC is black that will be a nice match, dont you think?

Doesn't silver or black on the ODAC only indicate faceplate colors? I just assumed since I didn't see photos of a silver case for the ODAC.

Unless you're referring to just the faceplates matching.

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #426 of 3,417
Quote:
Doesn't silver or black on the ODAC only indicate faceplate colors? I just assumed since I didn't see photos of a silver case for the ODAC.

you are 100% correct, ODAC has a slate colour with silver face plate, my apologies. C5 also offer the same configuration. So if you you like silver face plate with slate body on your C5 it will match the ODAC.

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #427 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:

you are 100% correct, ODAC has a slate colour with silver face plate, my apologies. C5 also offer the same configuration. So if you you like silver face plate with slate body on your C5 it will match the ODAC.

Quote:
Quote:
they sell silver case with C5, unless your ODAC is black that will be a nice match, dont you think?

The JDS Labs ODAC has a very very very dark slate (black?) body with a silver front plate (unless you ordered black).

^the light reflection makes the ODAC look lighter than it is

^ various black things in comparison

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #429 of 3,417
Quote:
John allowed special requests, but that offer is no longer available. What's wrong with the OPA2227?

Quote:
not to pick a fight, but the opamp isnt the only component in the design. shouldnt the overall sound be considered, rather than just the opamp? granted, i dont really know, but im pretty sure you can have two different amps, using the same opamp, but still sounding different. is fussing over one single component advisable? john said the c5 was designed around the 2227. and from what i can tell, the c5 measures pretty well with it. so why not?

It's prone to static interference and it ruins my experience.

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #430 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:
John allowed special requests, but that offer is no longer available. What's wrong with the OPA2227?

Quote:
not to pick a fight, but the opamp isnt the only component in the design. shouldnt the overall sound be considered, rather than just the opamp? granted, i dont really know, but im pretty sure you can have two different amps, using the same opamp, but still sounding different. is fussing over one single component advisable? john said the c5 was designed around the 2227. and from what i can tell, the c5 measures pretty well with it. so why not?

It's prone to static interference and it ruins my experience.

Static interference? Wouldn't that be an issue with the enclosure rather than the op-amp? I don't think switching the op-amp would fix that issue.
Speaking of which, I did hear the cell phone interference sound through my headphones when passing through a certain area near where I live (the "boo boop, boo boop, boo boop, boo boop, boo boop" sound such as when you get a text or something).

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #431 of 3,417
Quote:
Static interference? Wouldn't that be an issue with the enclosure rather than the op-amp? I don't think switching the op-amp would fix that issue.
Speaking of which, I did hear the cell phone interference sound through my headphones when passing through a certain area near where I live (the "boo boop, boo boop, boo boop, boo boop, boo boop" sound such as when you get a text or something).

My c421 with 8620 never had that problem and it's known to not get any interference.  My source is my cell phone and the static goes away when I'm on airplane mode.

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #432 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:

My c421 with 8620 never had that problem and it's known to not get any interference.  My source is my cell phone and the static goes away when I'm on airplane mode.

Hm that's interesting. Perhaps it's not the enclosure then since I think the C5 and the C421's enclosures are identical, except the front plate of course. Still, the circuit is different from the C421, so you can't completely blame the op-amp.

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #433 of 3,417
Quote:
Hm that's interesting. Perhaps it's not the enclosure then since I think the C5 and the C421's enclosures are identical, except the front plate of course. Still, the circuit is different from the C421, so you can't completely blame the op-amp.

I'm sure it's the opamp.  My UHA-6S MKII had similar static problem with the OPA209.  Switching to the 8610, it went away.  Even Nick at Leckerton confirmed certain opamps are more likely to have interference than others. 

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #434 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:

I'm sure it's the opamp.  My UHA-6S MKII had similar static problem with the OPA209.  Switching to the 8610, it went away.  Even Nick at Leckerton confirmed certain opamps are more likely to have interference than others. 

I see, good to know then. I always thought that kind of interference was due to lack of shielding in the enclosure and/or cables, hence why I originally said maybe it was the enclosure that was the issue:

Quote:
Your cell phone is actually a radio transceiver more than a phone. Cells put out up to 0.25W of power and they check in periodically with the nearest cell tower, whether or not you're using the phone.

What you're hearing is RFI interference from the phone. It broadcasts and your amp picks up the signal. RFI can be a tricky beast to tame. It's sorb of like waterproofing something where you can't see the water, it reflects off some materials and comes in through small cracks.

The most obvious way to solve it is to keep your amp away from the phone. Shielded cables, ferrite beads and other methods can work, but RFI can still get in. If you're building an amp, be sure to use an aluminum case - it's great shielding. I think Nevada Surplus has some cases that are RFI tight at a good price. Still, try to move your rig away from the phone. Radio signal strength drops off exponentially with distance.

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #435 of 3,417
Quote:
It is a very attractive colour in my opinion. Not very many companies offer portable amplifiers with different colour options, so having something other than the regular 'ol black or silver is a neat offer.

I tried the K 701's with "Crysis Warhead" and boy does that bass boost switch do wonders for explosions! I'm loving it so far; the K 701's detail retrieval + imaging + C5's bass boost "theater-effect" explosions.

I was thinking of getting the akg q701 & the c5 - Would you say they have some decent synergy??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back