JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Feb 16, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #151 of 3,417
Quote:
less that .5 ohms

I shall wait for reviews myself, no disrespect to this product but the FiiO is $60 less than this, so if there is some consensus that the differences is slightly in favor to the C5 then I will go for the cheaper amp

Understandable, but so far things seem to indicate the C5 is better audio quality while the e12 is more powerful.  A review over at headphonia says this:

"Perhaps a good base of a comparison is with the popular JDSLabs C241 amp where the C421 outclasses the E12 in overall refinement and soundstage image, but the E12 definitely has the upper hand in power output. I’m still waiting for JDSLabs’ C5 to arrive and compare it to the E12."

And on the jds blog he says in a comment on the c5 page that it should sound as transparent as the o2! :-o

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #152 of 3,417
Quote:

Understandable, but so far things seem to indicate the C5 is better audio quality while the e12 is more powerful.  A review over at headphonia says this:

"Perhaps a good base of a comparison is with the popular JDSLabs C241 amp where the C421 outclasses the E12 in overall refinement and soundstage image, but the E12 definitely has the upper hand in power output. I’m still waiting for JDSLabs’ C5 to arrive and compare it to the E12."

And on the jds blog he says in a comment on the c5 page that it should sound as transparent as the o2! :-o

Dont really see the point of reviewing a transparent amp lol. It's like reviewing how transparent a window is. People are more interested in reviewing stained glass windows.

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #153 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:
Just going off specs, is the general consensus that this amp will out preform the new FiiO E12? I like the digital stepped attenuation, and the stronger bass boost for when I really want that extra kick. I also like the output impedance, should play nice with most of my stable, does anyone know the output impedance on the E12?

less that .5 ohms

I shall wait for reviews myself, no disrespect to this product but the FiiO is $60 less than this, so if there is some consensus that the differences is slightly in favor to the C5 then I will go for the cheaper amp

This may not be the appropriate thread to discuss this, but is there any advantage to having a less than 1 Ω output impedance? Usually the "magic number" for the damping ratio is 8, and with an output impedance of 2 Ω, like the C5 has, the "magic number" 8 damping ratio is met for 16 Ω earphones. I am quite certain JDS Labs purposely designed the C5 to have a 2 Ω output impedance for 16 Ω earphones since the C5's digital volume control was specifically addressed for earphone users.

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #154 of 3,417
Quote:

yea, I follow headfonia too and will wait for reviews

the last statement is intriguing but even the 02 is $45 less, I don't want to start a ruckus but at that point, if it is indeed comparable to an 02, then I am paying for the portability, a bass boost and a better volume control for low volume use, 2 of which I don't really care much for, logically the only thing I can base my purchase with is the value of the sound quality

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #155 of 3,417
Quote:
This may not be the appropriate thread to discuss this, but is there any advantage to having a less than 1 Ω output impedance? Usually the "magic number" for the damping ratio is 8, and with an output impedance of 2 Ω, like the C5 has, the "magic number" 8 damping ratio is met for 16 Ω earphones. I am quite certain JDS Labs purposely designed the C5 to have a 2 Ω output impedance for 16 Ω earphones since the C5's digital volume control was specifically addressed for earphone users.

nah just less is better(aren't you in engineering btw?)

side note:maybe something for the technical guys can cross off their list to whine about

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #157 of 3,417
yea, I follow headfonia too and will wait for reviews

the last statement is intriguing but even the 02 is $45 less, I don't want to start a ruckus but at that point, if it is indeed comparable to an 02, then I am paying for the portability, a bass boost and a better volume control for low volume use, 2 of which I don't really care much for, logically the only thing I can base my purchase with is the value of the sound quality

Well you need to understand that the O2 and the C5 are designed with different goals in mind.

The O2 amp is designed to be audibly transparent, cheap, can be diy by anyone, and can power all headphones with the exception of certain types like the akg k1000. Because of that, the parts are cheap and of lower quality, uses an analog volume pot, 2 9V batteries and is more transportable than portable.

The C5 is designed to be highly portable, to have little channel imbalance (the channel imbalance in the O2 is quite bad), and to be totally transparent. So because of the higher quality parts used, and the digital volume pot, it is more expensive.

Sound quality wise, both are 100% neutral, with O2 having more power to power the demanding headphones, and with the C5 having less channel imbalance. So depending on your needs, one may be better for you than the other. Personally, i have a O2 and ODAC on my desktop, and will be using the C5 as my portable amp. I dont have any pockets that can carry the O2.

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #158 of 3,417
Quote:

No, open source means anyone can do anything they want with it if that's what the author permits:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/

"No Derivative Works — You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work."

Making design alterations for a smaller odac would be altering or transforming the work.  If they had permission that wouldn't matter, but I was talking to john at jds, and he hasn't heard anything lately from nwavguy... :-/

thank you for clearing that up =]
Quote:
Dont really see the point of reviewing a transparent amp lol. It's like reviewing how transparent a window is. People are more interested in reviewing stained glass windows.

well all transparent amps inherently sound the same - they dont sound like anything, supposedly disappearing from your rig audibly. i think the differences are mainly in features (and the c5 has many) and power/voltage/current abilities. this looks to be a pretty impressive little amp!
Quote:
I dont have any pockets that can carry the O2.

i actually tried putting it in my pocket while i did the dishes... doesnt work...
tongue_smile.gif

the c5 looks amazing! i have absolutely no use for it but i still want one! i think jds forgot to write its size on the site, anyone know the numbers?
"Dimensions (excluding switches): 99.5 x 49.0 mm"

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #159 of 3,417
Yay, I can finally sell my no bass E12. 

The red looks great but it doesn't match any of my stuff. 
frown.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #160 of 3,417
From the JDS Labs website:
Dimensions (excluding switches): 99.5 x 49.0 mm

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #162 of 3,417
Really pleased to see the initial feedback, thanks guys!

Quote:
Is the current pre-order price it's final price?

Yes.

I'm surprised, I thought there will be a all-black version, since John once mentioned that it's cheaper and the quality is better for black than for silver.

We did black samples, and the appearance just didn't "pop" like these three (more of a matte black). Our anodizer says that's the nature of black anodizing on this type of finish. Black can still be done if you insist.

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #164 of 3,417
sorry if this has been answered, I am working and I really can't go through the whole thread now, is this going to be a neutral amp? as neutral as the O2 but pocketable if this word exist, please let me know before i spend my money in something else but tell me the TRUE, is this a neutral amp, I need it to be NEUTRAL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back